New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · C&C please - I like it, the client isn't sure

Ian Boys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · C&C please - I like it, the client isn't sure

Hi all,

I like this shot - I wanted it to be a bit different for three lively boys. I'm sure the poses/expressions could be improved but that isn't the issue, the lighting is. what do you think?

Fuji x-pro 1 and 23mm

the boys by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

Apr 02, 2015 at 06:54 AM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · C&C please - I like it, the client isn't sure

Here is what I saw when I first looked.
The red light
The blue light
3 boys (well lit and in focus)
A wet floor at their feet.
I probably wouldn't print it but its a cool shot.
Just my 2-cents.

Greg

Apr 02, 2015 at 07:20 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · C&C please - I like it, the client isn't sure

As a parent, I wouldn't care for it if I were looking for something to have on my walls, or even in a picture frame on a counter top. Nothing about it works for me. In the spirit of what Greg did...

Here's what I first thought...
These boys are under arrest.
They look mischievous, and therefore, guilty.
One (or more) of them pissed himself in fear.
The middle one looks unrepentant and defiant in the face of the law.
The one on the right looks like he was along for the ride and doesn't realize he's in trouble.
The one on the left is the mastermind.

Apr 02, 2015 at 07:53 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · C&C please - I like it, the client isn't sure

I agree with the other posters, the blue and red background lights are very distracting and the facial expressions are .... odd

Apr 02, 2015 at 08:02 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · C&C please - I like it, the client isn't sure

The shot just doesn't pop. This is kind of like a low-key portrait, but most parents probably don't want low-key. The kids are wearing semi-dark clothes, they're against a dark background, the flooring is relatively dark, and then you have that red and blue light in the background, screaming for attention. I get the low-key concept, I just don't think it worked with these subjects. I think if you did the same shot, but against a white background, it could work. As it is, they just blend into the scene too much.

Apr 02, 2015 at 08:38 AM
dsms71

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · C&C please - I like it, the client isn't sure

The bright coloured back lighting is as others have said distracting. Inclusion of the lighting stands and the odd light spills on the boys does not present a good impression. The posing of the boys does not really work either, they simply don't look comfortable, this style of portraiture really needs a fun 'cool look' pose from the lads not a simple just stand there, click approach.

Apr 02, 2015 at 12:25 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · C&C please - I like it, the client isn't sure

On a technical level:

-- The red and blue lights are distracting ... interesting idea but in this particular execution it does not help the image.
-- The poses of the two boys facing forward seems unnatural. I think it's the way they are just letting their arms hang there.

On a practical level

The vision of the artist and the tastes of the customer often don't match up. You have to ask yourself if you are more interested in making a sale or in making an artistic statement and possibly loosing a sale.

Apr 02, 2015 at 02:11 PM
vraspa
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · C&C please - I like it, the client isn't sure

I can see where you were trying to go with the colored lights so they don't really bother me.
Needs more water on the floor if you are using it for effect. The problem I have is the posing of your subjects. You need to animate them more. This isn't a mug shot. Have them more connected or add three microphones on stands and have some fun with it.

Apr 02, 2015 at 02:57 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · C&C please - I like it, the client isn't sure

The idea could work but not as shown. Have to vote no. Not sure how to judge only the lighting when that is only a small part of the image.

Apr 02, 2015 at 04:26 PM
Matt.burn
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · C&C please - I like it, the client isn't sure

If we're only talking about is the lighting, the first thing I would do is move the lighting out of the frame and soften it with some sort of modifier. It's really distracting and my eye goes right to the lights and not your subjects. Also IMHO, the mood you're setting with the lighting doesn't match the energy of the kids. That kind of lighting adds drama to an image and again, only in my opinion works much better for more of a fashion style portrait. But that's just me.

I like that you're trying this though and I think you'll find the right place to use that lighting scheme.

Apr 02, 2015 at 06:00 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · C&C please - I like it, the client isn't sure

Have to agree with you I suppose. It was my first try for this kind of lighting and I'm glad I did it because even if it didn't work too well here, I can keep it up my sleeve for the right subject - motorbike rider? karate teacher?

Anyway, one lives and learns

Apr 03, 2015 at 06:48 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · C&C please - I like it, the client isn't sure

Or a singer. But IMO the light on the subject has to be brighter than the red and blue lights in the background.

Apr 03, 2015 at 09:46 AM
Aloicious
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · C&C please - I like it, the client isn't sure

here's what I think, this is only my opinion and I'm not a portraiture guy, so take it for what it's worth. I like the red and blue lights acting as colored accent hair light for the subjects, but I don't like the actual light sources being in the image. they're way too distracting as everyone else said. the wet floor is also a bit off too, especially with how it looks like the puddle starts right at their feet, makes you wonder if they all have incontinence issues.

I think you got great focus on them and they are well lit though. if there wasn't such a height differential between them I'd say maybe crop in and have like a 1/2 or 3/4 body shot, but with the middle kid being so much taller than the others I think it may make things feel a little off balance if you did that.

Apr 03, 2015 at 08:50 PM
rikz944
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · C&C please - I like it, the client isn't sure

I'll play the contrarian. I kinda like it, not love it...
I would crop the image to a diamond shape. exactly to the apex of the lights, so only the glow of the lights shows, but not the actual light (make sense?).
I believe this would also give some feel to the height differences.

At least you're thinking creatively.

Apr 07, 2015 at 03:32 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.