Archive 2015 · Landscape Photog needs help deciding on M 3/4 system

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Landscape Photog needs help deciding on M 3/4 system

sebboh wrote:
I don't see that fuji has more of a FF look than the a6000 at all,

curious80 wrote:
I never said Fuji has more FF look than A6000. I was talking specifically about some of the Fuji 35mm 1.4 images.

i think the fuji 35/1.4 is the best native normal lens right now for aps-c (in terms attractive look, not necessarily cross the frame sharpness). i don't think it looks as nice as a c/y 35/1.4 on aps-c though and i don't see anything particularly FFish about either of them. aps-c shots look the same to me as slower lenses on FF for the most part.

sebboh wrote:
but the fuji lenses are generally a little better, a little faster, and a little bigger than the sony lenses (e.g. fuji 18/2 vs sony 20/2.8, fuji 23/1.4 vs ZA 24/1.8, fuji 35/1.4 vs sony 35/1.8 OSS, fuji 56/1.2 vs sony 50/1.8 OSS, the zooms follow the same pattern too).

curious80 wrote:
Which is exactly what I said that the difference OP is seeing in A6000 vs Fuji image threads might partly be because Fuji images are benefiting from faster, higher quality native lenses.

it's possible, but seems unlikely to me. i think the same shots taken with the fuji equivalents and processed similarly would look pretty much the same (honestly, i think most modern lenses draw the same boring way). in any event, the OP's most used lens would be the same on both the a6000 and the fuji so the better native lenses would only be an issue later on if he decides he wants to expand his lineup. for landscape pixel peeping the xtrans sensor would still bug me though.

Apr 05, 2015 at 10:51 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Landscape Photog needs help deciding on M 3/4 system

I recently posted a workflow for the Nikon 1 system that can achieve full-frame level performance (noise-wise) using the system's 60fps burst mode to capture 20 frames in 1/3 second, which can then be stacked to reduce noise. That thread with many full-size samples can be found here and here. A J4 with the 10-30mm kit lens can be had for $250 on closeout right now and the combo weighs exactly 16 ounces with battery.

Here are two images from a few days ago using this technique, both with the J4 + 30-110mm lens:
http://horshack.smugmug.com/photos/i-XpnpCDz/0/X2/i-XpnpCDz-X2.jpg
http://horshack.smugmug.com/photos/i-DkjxcBK/0/X2/i-DkjxcBK-X2.jpg

Apr 05, 2015 at 11:32 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Landscape Photog needs help deciding on M 3/4 system

This is an unorthodox solution for landscapes, but intriguing at the same time. For $250, I am almost inclined to buy one for myself.

Apr 06, 2015 at 07:25 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Landscape Photog needs help deciding on M 3/4 system

sebboh wrote:
for compact, cheap, high image quality, and wide angle i'd go with a ricoh GR (~$500-$600) + wide angle converter ($189).

I second the recommendation for the Ricoh GR. Especially if you like the 28 mm focal length, then this is a pretty incredible camera. The lens performs great from wide open and throughout its focus range. Usability of the camera is really great, inviting to shoot with. I haven't tried the wide angle converter yet (it gives 21 mm equivalent) but it's supposed to be really good as far as such converters go (adding a little bit of CA and losing a bit of corner sharpness perhaps).
One weakness of the camera is that the sensor is a bit noisy so it doesn't allow for a lot of shadow lifting. There's a lot of highlight headroom though.
Check out the GR image thread: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1217487

Apr 06, 2015 at 08:29 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Landscape Photog needs help deciding on M 3/4 system

Jman13 wrote:
As long as you understand the limitations of the camera, and don't expect it to be a fast camera that does well in all lighting situations, I think you'll love it. The image quality from the Sigma is phenomenal at base ISO with proper processing (I haven't used one, only looked at tons of images, but I understand that the RAW workflow can be quite slow and clunky at times).

I guess it's OK that you can comment about image quality without owning or shooting said equipment, but not me.

Speechless..........

Apr 06, 2015 at 08:33 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Landscape Photog needs help deciding on M 3/4 system

If anyone with experience with the Sigma feels that my characterization is incorrect, I will gladly defer to their experience. It's not wrong to have an opinion based on seeing images, it's just a bit short sighted to defend that opinion when those with experience tell you you're mistaken or not giving a good overall impression. If you wh to continue this discussion please do so in PM so we don't hijack this thread.

Apr 06, 2015 at 09:18 AM
1       2       3       4      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.