Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · How to break into weddings?

bipock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to break into weddings?

I posted this on POTN, but thought I might get some varying ideas here.

I did my first and only wedding last October. Really enjoyed it as it was challenging and pretty rewarding. Rather than jump into weddings after just one, I thought it might be better for me to go the typical route - shoot second.

So, phone book in hand, I called several photogs in the area who do weddings (recognized names, not CL people) and asked about shooting second. Not once was I asked for a portfolio, about gear, about experience. Either they don't use seconds or they refused to train competition.

So, next stop for most would be CL and doing some freebies, which isn't to my liking, but I could go there.

Someone on POTN suggested a event company that I have contacted.

Anyone else want to share some ideas?

Apr 01, 2015 at 12:51 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to break into weddings?

Someone is going to be taking a chance on you. Wether it be another photographer hiring you to second shoot in which case you'll either blow it and they end up paying for crappy images or somewhere down the line you become future competition. Or the person taking a chance will be a couple who can't afford to hire someone with a reputation and end up with crappy images or you do great and get to build up your portfolio but you're likely going to end up making barely enough to cover the days expenses because there are 48 other photographers vying for that same "opportunity" and half of them are willing to work for free and the other half are willing to work for pennies.

It's not impossible. But it's definitely an uphill battle.

Apr 01, 2015 at 01:04 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to break into weddings?

Go more direct. Pay models for sessions.

Showing CL budget weddings on your website, in 2015, is an instant death.

Apr 01, 2015 at 01:08 PM
taran
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to break into weddings?

This is a very tough industry that has nothing to do with the skill of the photographer. Established wedding photographers are 90% marketing and 5% talent, the other 5% is asshole. In general, they are extremely good business people who have networked contacts in such a way as to maximize their exposure at certain prime venues in your area. You are talking about people who have squeaked out a living in a world that considers photography free... these folks are not to be trifled with, keep your guard up.

Unless you are willing to commit to incorporating an LLC specifically dedicated to this task (to defray liability from a potential lawsuit), a marketing budget of 10-15k, and a super slick website, I would say you have zero chance. If you get these pieces in place, and have a portfolio of 5-10 good looking couples online, only then should you announce yourself to the area in which you wish to market yourself. If you do this, please come back here and let me know and I am happy to help you with the next steps (of course, I am wedding photographer with a very modest income and client list).

Also, established wedding photographers are the worst people to talk to, they are normally practitioners of bad advice, so as to keep people out.

Apr 01, 2015 at 01:12 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to break into weddings?

Taran - 10-15 good looking couples as in weddings? That's where the problem is - I can't get them. I have the business background, can do the website, can incorporate into a LLC, marketing budget might be a little low, but I have only one bride to show. Families - got those. Babies and children - got those. No B&Gs though.

Zacholy - That's why I'm trying to not go there.

Swoop - Good points, all of which I understand.

Apr 01, 2015 at 01:22 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to break into weddings?

Ask Heiko ,he has 25 weddings in his second year !

Apr 01, 2015 at 01:26 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to break into weddings?

Taran pretty much nailed it.

Apr 01, 2015 at 01:33 PM
taran
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to break into weddings?

bipock wrote:
Taran - 10-15 good looking couples as in weddings? That's where the problem is - I can't get them.

You are going to have to get them before you can do weddings because you desperately need the experience imho. There is no money in this. You can do this by offering free shoots to prospective couples getting married, it doesn't have to be the wedding proper, just "save the date" kind of shoots.

At some point the client is going to ask you how many weddings you have shot... if they don't, well, that means the client could give a flying eff about you... you have to ask yourself if you really want them as a client.

So many wedding photographers fail because they promise the client too much, without having the pieces in place.

Promise little beside the photos, and over deliver.

IMHO it still takes years of doing this to be good, and I know many very profitable wedding photographers who have been doing it for 20 years that absolutely suck.

Apr 01, 2015 at 01:42 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to break into weddings?

I've had people ask to second shoot for me a number of times and quite honestly, I look at their work and feel that there is very little value in what they can offer that would make me choose them over someone else. I think it's great that you enjoy wedding photography and wouldn't discourage you to move away from it if you really like it. I imagine it will be tough get for more established wedding photographers to give you an opportunity without really knowing you as a person AND seeing some potential in your work. If it helps, here's what I look for when I'm vetting potential assistants or second photographers:

1) Are they good people that I want to spend 8 hours + with? This is actually one of the most important things for me. I don't care how good you are if I can't stand you or feel like you're going to damage my brand by just being around. You'd be surprised at the lack of professionalism of some people out there. Or people who are shooting for themselves rather than working as part of my team.

2) Is their portfolio full of posed photos? If yes, then it's almost definitely a pass for me. I need a second photographer to be someone who can give me some supplemental candid work or be really freaking good at details. These things add value to what I deliver my clients.

3) A decent kit: At least a couple of 2.8 or faster lenses at both wide and long focal lengths.

4) Good work ethic: I'm looking for someone who hustles and is open to critique, learning and growth.

I disagree that all wedding photographers are insecure and unwilling to help others learn the business and grow. The problem is many people starting out don't have much to offer those who have established their brand and are working photographers. And it's really hard to see that when your'e starting out--I felt the same way when I started and couldn't land a second shooting/assisting job. It wasn't until years later looking back that I realized I was completely missing the fact that I just had nothing to offer the people I wanted to assist/second for.

Assisting alone can be a decent way into the world, but again, I'd rather have someone that has a decent understanding or respect for the industry and the event to assist me. Not saying you don't but this should be among the things you want to try to communicate to those who you're offering your services to you.

Bottom line: Established (or even semi-established) photographers are very much open to finding good help. It's up to you to communicate what your value is. Much like it's the established pro's responsibility to communicate what their value is to their potential clients.

Apr 01, 2015 at 01:53 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to break into weddings?

taran wrote:
At some point the client is going to ask you how many weddings you have shot... if they don't, well, that means the client could give a flying eff about you... you have to ask yourself if you really want them as a client.

You may read it this way, but you can just as easily read this question as doubt in your ability. If they are asking you how many weddings you shot, that indicates to me that they may have doubt in your professionalism and/or skill. Your portfolio should answer this question implicitly. Its more of a red flag to me if someone has to ask you how many weddings you shot.

Apr 01, 2015 at 01:56 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to break into weddings?

I do agree, I cant remember if I have ever been asked that !!!

stevez32 wrote:
You may read it this way, but you can just as easily read this question as doubt in your ability. If they are asking you how many weddings you shot, that indicates to me that they may have doubt in your professionalism and/or skill. Your portfolio should answer this question implicitly. Its more of a red flag to me if someone has to ask you how many weddings you shot.

Apr 01, 2015 at 01:59 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to break into weddings?

I've had plenty of potential clients ask how many weddings I've shot. Sometimes they're genuinely curious, sometimes they just have a list of questions that The Knot or some other site told them to ask and that one is on there (along with "how many pictures do you take?" But then they don't really know what to do with that info (generally speaking).

Apr 01, 2015 at 02:10 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to break into weddings?

Breaking into weddings isnt too hard. Especially if you wear a a nice shirt and tie and wait till everyones drunk and dancing at the reception. ..
In all seriousness its really tough starting out. The goal right now isnt about starting a business. It should be about getting any kind of relevant experience. I did free engagement sessions for friends/family to practice portraits. Shot a few family weddings as well.

Apr 01, 2015 at 02:12 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to break into weddings?

Work on the family shots to build up portrait portfolio.
If you are taking picture of people in group settings and in a little action/pj style ... this can help convey knowledge of photography, ability to work with clients, how you compose images, how you see light....

Dont give up finding local shooters to work with. Persistence is a must in this industry.
Don't be anoying ... be professional.

Find FB group in the area.
Network .....

The wedding industry has many shooter jump in and jump out on a yearly basis.
You need to show you are different.

-Mark

Apr 01, 2015 at 02:23 PM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to break into weddings?

In 2005, a local newspaper allowed me to freelance shoot sports and news.

Eventually, a local wedding photographer gave me a chance.

Today, with FB you can easily reach clients and other photographers and build a brand.

Work every week.

My advice, find a newspaper and freelance. You can network, shoot cool events, and shoot carte blanche. Get a keeper for the paper and shoot 3 hours for yourself. You have credentials and unlimited wedding like opportunities.

Become a Strobist... yesterday.

Have your crap together BEFORE seeking out a pro or a bride.

In time you will find more and more opportunities.

Edited on Apr 01, 2015 at 04:01 PM · View previous versions

Apr 01, 2015 at 02:31 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How to break into weddings?

Don’t bank on a second shooting opportunity, even getting to carry someone’s bags is like finding needle in a haystack these days. I’ve even heard of people paying to effectively second shoot.

CL, day after sessions, do whatever you have to to build a portfolio which is your priority even if it is costing you if you have to rent gear/whatever. Even if you only find someone else in the same situation you can second shoot for each other. Yes, your venue won’t be professionally lit and the dress won’t be Vera Wang but you can still get pictures that aren’t dress/details/venue heavy that look expensive and tbh that is what a lot of wedding photography is anyway.

Read as much as you can here about the typical situations that come up and how to deal with them (contracts, uncle bobs, unreasonable requests etc.) because the budget end of things is... tough.

Once you have something reasonable together you can do a total rebrand and properly launch yourself.

Apr 01, 2015 at 03:15 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How to break into weddings?

Become part of a community, share photos, get critique, learn your equipment. Someone may take a chance on you. This was my path.

I still work with the person (on FM) who gave me my first shot, and most of my gigs are with people on here.

A second either has to bring something to the table (specific skill like Duy pointed out) and be someone the primary trusts will represent them well. Remember, your behavior effects their brand.

When just starting out you might have very little to offer and be a large risk to anyone you cold call.

When looking for seconds on my (few) weddings as a primary, I have actually shied away from potential seconds who have "Styled Shoots" in thier portfolio so while that may help get real brides, it is not a magic solution. Shoot real things. Hell, the assistant/second I hired for my first wedding caught my eye because of his Lego shots showed an understanding of light and an ability to capture details. (reggie on here)

Apr 01, 2015 at 03:32 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How to break into weddings?

Ohh, and when you do get an opportunity. Be selfless, carry gear, hold lights, shoot things the primary cannot.

If anyone shot over my shoulder, I would never have them back.

Apr 01, 2015 at 03:48 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How to break into weddings?

There is a lot of good advice in this thread so far, but I'll add that doing a few cheap weddings CAN BE viable. It depends on a lot of things, including your market, but it is very doable.

I shot my first paid wedding on August 16th, 2014. I've done 20 since and I have more booked. It is doable.

1) Website. No one is going to wander by and stumble upon your website, but you better as hell have one that looks legitimate enough so that you can direct people there. Put up a solid portfolio of other work and the one wedding you have done.

2) Gear. Get redundant if you aren't already. Minimum of 2 bodies and redundant and/or overlapping focal lengths, lights, and whatever else you need. Memory cards, batteries, a whole bunch of damn gear so that you will be able to keep shooting if stuff starts breaking. Everything breaks, be prepared.

3) Be humble and honest. Anyone hiring you is taking a chance, as was mentioned above. Be upfront with your limited wedding experience, while also drawing attention to your other related work. Under promise, over deliver. Maybe you'll get lucky and find an attractive couple who spent everything on venue, flowers, and dress and doesn't care too much about photos. Everyone else cringes at the thought, but they are your best friend.

4) Finding clients. This was challenging for me as I took on shooting weddings at the same time I was moving 1500 miles. I booked almost 2 dozen weddings from 1500 miles away on the internet. Like you, I had just one small wedding that I had shot the previous year on a website that I had just built, along with some family and other work. I found maybe 2 couples on Craig's List. In my experience, CL just feels a little too sketchy for most brides, no matter how low their budget is. I used Thumbtack to find the rest of the clients (www.thumbtack.com). It is a service that is free to use for customers. They enter some details about what they are looking for (location, date, size, budget range, etc). As a provider on Thumbtack, you register your location and service radius and what you do. I get emails all day long for photo jobs within a 150 mile radius. I mainly do weddings because they are what fits best with the time I have available. You get an email for every request in your area and you a small fee to send bids to whichever ones you like.

5) Other options - So maybe people aren't ready to have you a second shooter, perhaps you can tag along as an unpaid 3rd? That may not pan out either, but it is another thought. Also, everyone and their mom runs a photo workshop anymore. Perhaps you could find one in your area that is a wedding workshop with models. That would give you an opportunity to shoot models and gets some knowledge along the way (as long as the workshop allows images to be used for portfolio).

6) Read everything you can. There are a lot of generous folks on the forum here who have shared tons of invaluable experience. Read the sticky threads at the top. Yeah, they are long. They are also full of critical knowledge that will help you out. I am an occasional poster here, but I read almost everything.
Don't give up, it is possible. I'm still very new to this as well.

Apr 01, 2015 at 04:23 PM
billydoo73
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How to break into weddings?

Remember, "like" clients refer "like" clients. Get a portfolio and market the crap out of yourself.

Look at Chase Jarvis. He is an average photographer at best. But, he is brilliant. He talks a good game and markets everything he does. Blog blog blog. Ever see Boiler Room? Act "as if..." Meaning, create your own buzz.

But, be sure to deliver the goods.

Established wedding togs, without passion, are going away. People are starting to realize that you have to like the photographer's attitude, look, and vision.

It is a simple recipe of marketing and talent.

Look at the work of some of the best photographers in your area. I am outside Boston and some of these people command $10,000+ for a wedding and I am quite confident I have a better eye and don't leave the speed light on the whole day. But, they created demand and they're a product. A Louis Vuitton bag is no better than a strong canvas bag from Walmart. But, to carry an LV means something.

Create a style. Stick to it. Market it. REPEAT.

Apr 01, 2015 at 05:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.