New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

I've been using my original X100 for a few years now. I still love this camera. I am considering getting the X100s and I have a couple of questions for folks who may have used both:

- Is the X100s faster to wake up after going to "sleep"?
- Is the X100s auto-focus really any better than the X100 with upgraded firmware?

Basically my only reasons for upgrading the body would be for some added responsiveness, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Apr 01, 2015 at 09:39 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

Oh, one other question:

I know the EVF in the X100s is a step up. Question is: How big of a step is it? Is it better than the EVF in the X-E1?

Also, how's the X100s EVF compare to the EVF in the X100t? If the T is really that much better I might spring for it.

Apr 01, 2015 at 09:41 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

S is a BIG step up from the 100.

T is a small step up from the S.

The T is only worth it if you use the WCL/TCL and/or want to print directly to Instax. I do both so I have the T but otherwise I wouldn't bother, the S is great.

Apr 01, 2015 at 10:13 AM
Michael H
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

Appreciate the question and the response(s) here. I've been considering the same thing. I know there are also some differences with the sensor, as well as the leaf shutter to allow faster flash syncs.

Apr 01, 2015 at 02:21 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

The sensor in the S and T is the same.

The lens and shutter are identical in all the cameras.

The T also allows electronic shutter (not a function of the leaf shutter) but this doesn't sync with flash and even the 1/32000 shutter time takes 1/15th of a second so it is of limited practical use.

The best bang per buck is the S.

Apr 01, 2015 at 02:26 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

Here's a decent summary but personally I find the new hybrid viewfinder thingy pointless as you want to look at your subject not down as a corner.

In summary he says: If you have the original X100, you buy. Now is the time to upgrade. You’ll get all of the features the S version brought plus a boat load more.

If you have an X100S I have to say no, unless you manage to score fantastic resale value on your S OR manage to find a used X100T that is in near mint condition.

http://petapixel.com/2015/02/25/review-fujifilm-x100t-changes-galore-buy/

Apr 01, 2015 at 02:31 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

I found the hybrid finder useful occasionally to check focus while using the optical finder, and it works well for that, but I don't know if I'd really spend extra money for that feature alone.

Likewise, electronic shutter sounds cool on paper, but the limited flash sync speed, rolling shutter effect etc make it kind of useless, especially given that the camera already has a built in ND filter you can use, and its leaf shutter is so quiet in the first place.

Improved EVF is a nice feature over the original though, and while minor, the 4 day pad instead of the little dial I find much easier to work.

The original still is great bang for the buck though and I will say I like the high ISO IQ better, much less plastic.

If you just want a fun RF-ish camera to use with the optical finder, the X100 is tough to beat for value

Apr 01, 2015 at 03:30 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

millsart wrote:
The original still is great bang for the buck though and I will say I like the high ISO IQ better, much less plastic.

This. The original X100 is not saddled with the X Trans and so has a very distinctive type of IQ. Far less noise reduction is used by the X100 compared to the S and T allowing for much less waxy skin and loss of detail.

The real downside of the original X100 is the extremely awful EVF.

Apr 01, 2015 at 03:48 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

goosemang wrote:
I've been using my original X100 for a few years now. I still love this camera. I am considering getting the X100s and I have a couple of questions for folks who may have used both:

- Is the X100s faster to wake up after going to "sleep"?
- Is the X100s auto-focus really any better than the X100 with upgraded firmware?

Basically my only reasons for upgrading the body would be for some added responsiveness, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I don't remember the difference in the awake from sleep, but the AF of my X100 with current firmware seems as fast as the AF of the my X100S. It's even debatable that it's slightly faster, because the aperture of the X100 doesn't seem to dance as much, but I don't have the X100S anymore to compare, so I'll stop short of saying that.

In terms of IQ, I highly prefer the original X100, so I sold my X100S, but YMMV. I even bought a second brand new in box X100 last year, so that I have a backup, since it doesn't look like Fuji is going back to Bayer anytime soon with the X100 series.

I agree with rattymouse that the EVF is the biggest difference between the two cameras, to me. I rarely use it, so it didn't really affect my decision on which to keep.

Another thing to consider is that you gain the quick navigation menu with the X100S, but you loose the programmable raw button because of it, which I wasn't a fan of.

All of that being said, if the X100S had the X100's sensor, I'd likely be shooting the X100S instead, or the X100T, for that matter.

Apr 01, 2015 at 04:46 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

I bought an X100 on their first availability, and replaced it with an X100S early in that product's lifeline. While using the X100, I found that it was a lot faster to turn on, than to wake up, and so I got in the habit of turning it off after taking a photo or a quick series of photos. I still do that with my X100S.

Apr 01, 2015 at 05:09 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

It's worth noting that the 'waxy skin' is only an issue at high ISO when shooting JPEG. If you're a RAW shooter it's a non issue.

The original X100 is a god camera, but I'd opt for at least the S just for general responsiveness alone.

rattymouse wrote:
This. The original X100 is not saddled with the X Trans and so has a very distinctive type of IQ. Far less noise reduction is used by the X100 compared to the S and T allowing for much less waxy skin and loss of detail.

The real downside of the original X100 is the extremely awful EVF.

Apr 01, 2015 at 05:19 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

Jman13 wrote:
The original X100 is a god camera...

Agreed, that's why I sold the X100S.

Apr 01, 2015 at 05:25 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

jcolwell wrote:
I bought an X100 on their first availability, and replaced it with an X100S early in that product's lifeline. While using the X100, I found that it was a lot faster to turn on, than to wake up, and so I got in the habit of turning it off after taking a photo or a quick series of photos. I still do that with my X100S.

You gotta wonder how a sleep function could be designed so poorly that it was slower than a power up. I mean, the entire point of sleep is to keep your camera active so that it responds quicker than a power up!!!

Apr 01, 2015 at 05:27 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

jcolwell wrote:

Did you have the X100 long enough for firmware V2? I don't notice a difference between turning the camera on and waking from sleep, at least with Quick Start mode on.

Also, I've not tested it, but I've seen others mention that even the original X100 benefits a lot from fast SD cards, which I use.

Apr 01, 2015 at 05:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

jcolwell wrote:

douglasf13 wrote:
Did you have the X100 long enough for firmware V2? I don't notice a difference between turning the camera on and waking from sleep, at least with Quick Start mode on.

Also, I've not tested it, but I've seen others mention that even the original X100 benefits a lot from fast SD cards, which I use.

The last FW version I had for the X100 was 1.30.

All of my SD cards are pretty fast, because I swap them between cameras without taking particular notice of exactly which card is in hand - including to my 1DIV, where the SD is a potential backup device.

Apr 01, 2015 at 07:19 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

FWIW, and not sure if it's relevant here, but there was a recent Fujifilm interview with Imaging Resource where Makoto Oishi stated:

"...while we have provided firmware upgrades for the X100S many times, now we have the X100T, we're finished, no firmware upgrades [for the X100S] anymore.

Apr 01, 2015 at 08:15 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

rscheffler wrote:
FWIW, and not sure if it's relevant here, but there was a recent Fujifilm interview with Imaging Resource where Makoto Oishi stated:

"...while we have provided firmware upgrades for the X100S many times, now we have the X100T, we're finished, no firmware upgrades [for the X100S] anymore.

This surprises me, after Fuji talked so much about Kaizen and upgraded the X100 well after the X100S was released. Granted, the X100 was a lot less polished from the start, so maybe that camera got special attention, and the X100S may already be maxed out in its capabilities. I know that Classic Chrome is one of the main reasons X100S users want an upgrade, which seems fair to me. I wish Fuji would offer Classic Chrome in the old X100, too, but I never expected it to happen. I did expect it to come in the X100S, though.

With the X100S kind of caught in the middle of the new fancy version and the old Bayer version, I have to wonder whether the old X100 may eventually start commanding better used prices than the X100S, since the original X100 seems to be the last stop for those who prefer the Bayer sensor.

Apr 02, 2015 at 12:41 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

The bayer VS trans sensor is one of those things that either one finds a big issue, or does not at all. I am on the later camp and the difference between the X100 and X100s on sensor alone was not a big deal. However, the AF upgrade alone on the X100s was worth the switch.
I now get a lot more keepers, especially in low light; I used to hope the X100 will get the AF right in the dark, whereas I expect the S to do so; and it does.

In regards to the FW, I was also hoping the chrome option would be made available for the X100s, especially since it's only one single generation behind.
...maybe Fuji will wait until a couple of newer camera firmware upgrades are made, then make available one FW for the older models, encompassing some of the improvements.

I wonder how much of Fuji's ability to produce FW for no end user cost has to do with using the same sensor and whether this will become more difficult /expensive if /when they change to a newer spec.

Apr 02, 2015 at 12:59 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

dasrocket wrote:
The bayer VS trans sensor is one of those things that either one finds a big issue, or does not at all. I am on the later camp and the difference between the X100 and X100s on sensor alone was not a big deal. However, the AF upgrade alone on the X100s was worth the switch.
I now get a lot more keepers, especially in low light; I used to hope the X100 will get the AF right in the dark, whereas I expect the S to do so; and it does.

In regards to the FW, I was also hoping
...Show more

My guess is that it's the fact that they're using the same sensor in the X100T as the X100S that's causing them to say they're done with X100S updates, because they don't want to stunt X100T sales. The X100S had a new sensor, which they probably figured compelled people to upgrade from the X100, regardless of X100 updates.

I'm surprised you find the X100S AF better than the X100. If anything, it seems the old X100 may be slightly faster, because it doesn't appear to go through as much of an aperture dance on every shot, which is still a complaint about the X100S over on the Fuji forums, and one of the reasons for wanting more firmware updates. Did you have the X100 firmware V2 update from the end of 2013?

Apr 02, 2015 at 01:20 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji X100 responsiveness comparison

I have found the X100s much better at low light focus lock. Most of my shooting with this camera is events and shows mostly without flash. The S will consistently lock where the original would hunt.
I also noticed that once the X100 started hunting, it had to go through a sec or two of going to infinity and back, whereas the hunting "cycle" if I may call it that, is half that.

So I am not sure if good lighting AF is faster with the S, but in low light definitely more accurate.

As for the MF implementation, there's no comparison between the original and the split prism of the S but YMMV on that one based on preference.

Apr 02, 2015 at 05:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.