Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

agelessphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

My old SB600 had it's last drop today. My other flash is an SB700. I use 2 D750's and a D600. Should I be looking at Nikon flash's only, or is there a good third party that is reliable and good I should look at that will work well with my Nikon camera's? I do use them on camera, and off camera with IR and RF triggers, just depending on where I'm shooting.

Mar 31, 2015 at 07:41 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

If you don't need iTTL then the Yongnuo's YN-560 IV have built-in 2.4ghz wireless capability that can drive other YN-560 III/IV flashes, in addition you can drive those separate flashes with a wireless module (YN-560TN). For a bit more money Yongnuo also makes iTTL-capable flashes as well.

Mar 31, 2015 at 07:55 PM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

Man I'm really leaning towards a Yongnuo. They are so cheap, and they get pretty good reviews.

Mar 31, 2015 at 08:07 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

agelessphotog wrote:
Man I'm really leaning towards a Yongnuo. They are so cheap, and they get pretty good reviews.

I use them extensively and have been very pleased with their performance.

Mar 31, 2015 at 08:47 PM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

Thanks for the help. I got comfortable using my two Nikon flashes and never researched anything else. I was using Yongnuo RF-603N triggers. They should work fine with a YN-568 EX right? it says the 568 EX has built in RF, so would it work fine with just the 603N trigger on the camera and on the SB700, and not even need one on the 568 then? Sorry for the noob questions. Just want to make sure this will all work together.

Mar 31, 2015 at 09:12 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

agelessphotog wrote:
Thanks for the help. I got comfortable using my two Nikon flashes and never researched anything else. I was using Yongnuo RF-603N triggers. They should work fine with a YN-568 EX right? it says the 568 EX has built in RF, so would it work fine with just the 603N trigger on the camera and on the SB700, and not even need one on the 568 then? Sorry for the noob questions. Just want to make sure this will all work together.

Yongnuo has two 2.4ghz wireless family of products which are not interoperable - one family is their non-TTL products ("dumb" flashes), which work on an any camera and include the YN-560 III/IV and YN-560TN, and are backward compatible with previous-generation simple triggers like the RF-602/RF-600TX and also the RF-603. Their other family of wireless products are the brand-specific speedlites that have iTTL/TTL support, such as the YN-568 and derivatives, which have built-in remote support for optical/infrared Nikon CLS and can also support converting CLS into 2.4ghz wireless with their YN-622N product that sits on both the camera and under the Yongnuo flashes.

Mar 31, 2015 at 09:37 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

For a bit more money, you might look at the Metz flashes. Made in Germany and have models for ittl for Nikon. More powerful and cheaper that the Nikon flashes.
Some even have Auto mode if you use old camera.

Apr 01, 2015 at 06:13 AM
Mr. Clean
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

just throwing this out there but used SB900s are super cheap and that flash is 100% awesomeness

Apr 01, 2015 at 01:25 PM
doonie15
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

I've used 2 SB-800's for over 10 wedding seasons and currently have those 2 plus a SB-910 and SB-700. I've been caught in downpours, knocked them into tables and chairs, doors, guests, never had a problem with any of them ! Can't speak for any other brands but I'll swear by the Nikons.

Apr 01, 2015 at 01:35 PM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

I guess it depends how you normally use flashes....

At one point, I owned 2 SB910s, 2 SB700s, 4 YN-560 II's, and an SB400.

I sold the SB910s- the only advantage they have (for me) over the SB700s was the ability to use an external power pack for faster recycle. However, I mostly used these for event work in dark environments, so I'm usually shooting at high ISOs and found I didn't need the extra power. The 910 also has a multi-flash-burst mode (can't recall the exact name) that the 700s don't.

I've kept one of the SB700s- the only advantage these had for me over the YN-560's is the TTL capability. But- most of my flash work is off camera, and the TTL didn't work well enough for the way that I light for me to use it. So I'm mostly in manual mode anyway. Kept the one so that I have a relatively powerful TTL flash if the odd situation calls for it (again, I mostly only use flash for event work when I'm also tending to shoot high iso)

I've kept all the YN-560's. They're cheap and reliable, and just as powerful as the SB700s/910. Haven't had one fail on me. Can stick them on light stands, and while I use good light stands and bag them, I don't really worry about destroying a $400 flash unit if someone happens to knock it over somehow.

I use the SB400 for personal photos when I want something "light."

Apr 01, 2015 at 01:43 PM
rexb

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

I dropped by SB-600 as well. Sent it to Nikon for a repair estimate and had them fix it. I think it was about $100ish but to me was still worth it than just throwing it away and getting a third party. It's fine and working great now. I also use CLS a lot that's why I've stayed with Nikon speedlights.

Also, check out Aokatek AK-TTL radio triggers! I use it to convert the IR to RF. Benefits to me are, on camera power adjustment at the back of the LCD or on the SB-910 as my commander, TTL/HSS,. The one big advantage for me is I can use my on-camera fill flash (SB-910) in TTL and still fire my remote off camera flash (2 x SB-700 SB-600) wirelessly. Try that on a PW or other RF triggers out there now which take up the hotshoe for your on-camera flash. Others will have the trasmitter on the hot shoe (new YNs and Cactus) then you put your flash on it, but that to me is just makes the transmitter the weak point between camera/flash set-up.

Apr 01, 2015 at 03:36 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

SB-910 if you want a "really good one". it will work seamlessly with any Nikon you have and stand up to many years of use.

Apr 01, 2015 at 03:39 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

For on camera flash nothing can beat Nissin MG8000, using a quartz bulb, able to deliver hundreds of flashes without to slow down or to get hot. Of course you need a battery pack to help with recycle time but works as a charm.

For off camera flash YN-560 IV as already advised with its wireless radio enclosed is really the best option. A unique feature: using on camera an YN-560TX you can have six independent groups, which for some application is really great. Many times I felt limited with only 3 groups in any other system I used...

Apr 01, 2015 at 04:56 PM
JustinEtzel

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

Since both have been suggested and it appears people have experience with both, has anyone noticed a different color cast between the Nikon and Yongnuo flashes? Working events I have an SB800 on one body and a YN-560 IV on the other and the Nikon is yellow and warm, while theh Yongnuo is blue and quite cool. I can fix it in post so it's not a huge deal, but the difference is quite striking and I've been hesitant to use both off camera at the same time because of it.

Anyone notice the same?

Apr 01, 2015 at 07:28 PM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

I use a YN-565, I love the thing. Much better than any Metz I have owned. Just as an amateur it makes a lot of sense, I don't know about them for pro work. I hope nobody tells Yongnuo that their gear is underpriced.

Apr 01, 2015 at 08:14 PM
Andrew Pece Photography
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

InlawBiker wrote:
I use a YN-565, I love the thing. Much better than any Metz I have owned. Just as an amateur it makes a lot of sense, I don't know about them for pro work. I hope nobody tells Yongnuo that their gear is underpriced.

I'm not sure it is underpriced. We've just been brainwashed into thinking flashes should cost hundreds.

Apr 01, 2015 at 09:30 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

The Yongs work fine. They are cheap and do not have firmware upgrades. If they break, buy a new one. I prefer Nikon flashes because mine have lasted a long time and never failed me. My buddy uses, and loves, Yongs, but his have failed at inopportune times.

I've bought used SB800s, but have found some to be very used. So, I keep to SB 700, 900, and 910s. Good luck.

Apr 02, 2015 at 12:54 AM
Aloicious
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

Mishu01 wrote:
For off camera flash YN-560 IV as already advised with its wireless radio enclosed is really the best option. A unique feature: using on camera an YN-560TX you can have six independent groups, which for some application is really great. Many times I felt limited with only 3 groups in any other system I used...

this is pretty much what I do too, the Tx is nice and it controls both my 560III and 560IV's together, the III and IV are basically the same flash with regards to the output and wireless control, but the IV has some functionality of the Tx built in so you can use a master flash on camera to control a few off camera flash groups, but the TX isn't expensive and offers a bit more flexibility. I've got 5 of the 560 units (III and IV) in total along with the Tx and a simple 603N transmitter I use for macro work when the flash is off the hotshoe but still attached to the camera on a bracket and I don't need the full Tx control (plus the 603 is great as a wireless shutter remote too, I use it in astrophotography all the time)

Apr 02, 2015 at 01:58 AM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

Andrew Pece Photography wrote:
I'm not sure it is underpriced. We've just been brainwashed into thinking flashes should cost hundreds.

Totally agree here- $5 disposables have flash tubes, and the electronics in a $20 prepaid phone are more sophisticated.

Apr 02, 2015 at 10:02 AM
Mr. Clean
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Dropped my SB600. Not up on new flash's, whats a really good one?

What happened to third party flashes frying your cameras

Apr 02, 2015 at 11:02 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.