New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Morning walk

AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Morning walk

Just started pondering a few images from my sunrise walk this morning. Haven't decided between color and black and white. Thoughts?

Mar 31, 2015 at 05:39 PM
beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Morning walk

I'm inclined to like the color versions better, but it's close. Particularly in #2, where the color version really makes the lamp shine yellow and stand out. In #1 the fence on the horizon line makes me wonder what was in there -- it looks like a pen?

Nice walk you had!
keith

Mar 31, 2015 at 06:57 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Morning walk

I like the golden glow. I appreciate colors like that even more since I started to do my own printing. These would look great on metallic paper.

Mar 31, 2015 at 07:03 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Morning walk

Thanks, Guys. It's a tough call for me, but the color is appealing.

Mar 31, 2015 at 07:30 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Morning walk

I prefer the color versions. More striking.
I am a bit uncertain about the color tones themselves, especially in the first. Maybe a bit more artistic license than I would take.
I prefer the first comp over the second. Great silhouettes; second, esp BW, feels a bit too bottom dominant/heavy.

Scott

Mar 31, 2015 at 08:07 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Morning walk

Interesting. I shot underexposed to make silhouettes and retain cloud detail I could preserve when lightening in PP. (The dynamic range of the light was so high my *eyes* saw in silhouettes.) My jpeg setting was "Natural", with contrast, sharpness and saturation set to zero, and auto white balance. The underexposure may have retained more of the original sunrise color than one might expect, but I actually did nothing in PP to boost the saturation. It was a pretty accurate rendering of the actual color of the sunrise sky. With my previous gear I often had to amp up the vibrance to make the images match the scene as I remembered of as it should have been. For some reason, I find with my current glass that's now almost never necessary. FWIW, as usual with my current practice, I shoot raw+jpeg. Here are the jpegs from the camera for the above, with the only change a reduction in size. Have fun!

Mar 31, 2015 at 09:27 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Morning walk

For these photos, I prefer the color treatments as they bring out the emotion for me in the scenes. Getting up early and photographing a sunrise is always a special moment.

Mar 31, 2015 at 09:59 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Morning walk

Color = mood & time

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:49 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Morning walk

#1 for me as well. I love the warmth you captured in these.
There is nothing better than a peaceful walk at sunrise. Especially with scenery like you have here.

Question - Why do you shoot Raw + jpeg? Do you find much use for the jpeg copy? I had considered this before simply so that I could view the images on any system but for me it just adds more clutter and doesn't justify the extra space. Albeit the small file size.

Apr 01, 2015 at 09:02 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Morning walk

1. I'm still running 10.6 Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro. The camera raw for the M5 isn't supported on the Mac which means I need the jpegs to get a quick view of the images to pick the raws.

2. I can transfer the jpegs to view on my Android phone in a pinch.

3. I have a ready SOOC version to compare with the final version which is useful for me and to demonstrate to others what I do in post processing because it's a good approximation to the original camera baseline take - to use them as I did here.

Apr 01, 2015 at 02:41 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Morning walk

to get back to my earlier comment about tone, I have never seen this particular golden tone before, making me wonder about shifts in color balance for artistic effect
I am totally fine with the sat/vibrance
Scott

Apr 01, 2015 at 02:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Morning walk

+1 @ RAW + jpg.

I prefer to shoot RAW + (small) jpg. The extra file size of small jpg isn't that much, and it is very convenient for web usage and doing fairly quick draft edits. When I get something that is a refined direction, then I can go back to the RAW to make it the best possible.

Others, just process all RAW's ... but since I work off the laptop, the jpgs keep my workflow expedient and the mojo flowing a bit better than when I get bogged down a touch by the larger RAW's when building layers, etc. in PS. For web display, the jpgs are fine ... but I never know when something will turn into a print worthy concept, thus always keeping RAW's (instead of large jpgs).

Unfortunately, my 700D only gives the option of RAW + Large jpgs.
Taking a chance atm shooting large jpgs only while learning the camera. I really don't like this, but I ... CAN ... work to print off large jpgs instead of raws (just takes more diligence and might leave a little bit on the table).

Apr 01, 2015 at 06:57 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Morning walk

sbeme wrote:
to get back to my earlier comment about tone, I have never seen this particular golden tone before, ....
Scott

Ok. Got it. As you can tell from the SOOC jpegs, that was basically the color in play. The final version I adjusted things to match what I remembered it to look like. Golden sunrises seem to be reasonably common around here, at least when the sun is trying to climb out from behind clouds. Maybe it's a New Zealand sunrise thing. Of course I'm always happy to change something like sky color if I think it would be what it should have been, but with my current lenses and camera body it usually captures color just like I experienced it, and sometimes, THE HORROR, I actually tone it back a bit! Wonder of wonders... This time it was pretty close to what it should have been. Many things drive me a little more nuts than usual about the EM5, but I quite like it's color rendition.

Apr 01, 2015 at 10:32 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.