New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Baby drop down pin

rick2906
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Baby drop down pin

I bought a matthews baby junior stand with a baby boom(my first boom). From my research, it seems that it is better to use a baby drop down pin as it is putting less torque on the boom.

I read that the baby drop pin is meant to be lose so that the light always stay under the boom which ever angle you put it.

My problem is, If move the pivot on my einstein light to point directly down, the baby drop down pin will try to compensate moving my einstein!

-Question number 1: So why is using a baby drop down so much better if it interfere and it is not letting me angle my light as I please. Maybe I am using it wrong, but if I tighten it down it won't work as it suppose to from what I read.

I would like any help from expert boom users here.

I just want to know how to properly use it beacause I will order the matthews junior matth boom and I am wondering if I should order a baby pin for this boom too.

2- Question number 2: What kind of safety cables are you guys using and what length?? My maximum weight will be around 13 lbs(light+modifiers)

Mar 30, 2015 at 07:25 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Baby drop down pin

Answer 1: Down-down pin must be free to move at all times. Correct use of the drop-down allows any light attitude.
Answer 2: Any cable will support that weight. I use Manfrotto and Matthews brands of 1' and 2', but any cable with a latch on one end is fine. One of mine has a plastic sheath to prevent scratches, but I never noticed trouble with the others.

Be aware that drop-downs give you more positional freedom than you might need in a given circumstance. If the light is positioned without straining the retaining screw of the light, then skip the drop-down—this is always the case when the boom is aimed straight into the set.

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:40 PM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Baby drop down pin

Thank you Rico! I just order the junior boom with senior stand and matthews safety cables! Thanks, I guess for now one baby drop down pin will suffice. A grip head can act the same way as a baby pin, kind of . It is not free moving but you can position the light so it is under the boom and much more precise positioning . I like to over complicated things sometime!! I like to try new things and I want to make the right choice!

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:55 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Baby drop down pin

Hmm, grip head on end of boom...the mind reels with the possibilities. You have fine taste in support: I have two Baby Jrs, love 'em, and plan to get more. I also have a junior boom (Avenger) which has a manly weight capacity, but is also very dangerous to operate. No drinking on the set!

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:25 AM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Baby drop down pin

Yeah I like the flexibility I get with the boom arm!! If I was filty rich I would buy a manfrotto crank(stand+boom) but for my amateur use, the matthews will do the job! Thanks again rico, my friend used to call me rico suave! I am the only one Rico! .lol

Mar 31, 2015 at 04:55 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.