New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Cape Cod in Summer

Ken Robb

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cape Cod in Summer

I'm going to be in Chatham in mid July. I've research the Photograph America newsletter and Chris Linder's photographer's guide. I'll probably limit myself to the mid and outer cape. I'm looking for seascape opportunities. Besides Chatham Light, Nauset, Light, Highland Light, and Ptown what areas should I look at? Also, we'll probably spend a day at Martha's Vineyard. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Ken

Mar 30, 2015 at 01:40 PM
volyrat
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cape Cod in Summer

Ken - you've got a good list of general areas. I've spent a good amount of time in those areas, but in my much younger days. This summer will be the first that I spend there doing any type of photography. Some specifics or other areas to think about:

Monomoy Point light house
Salt Pond at the National Seashore
Coastguard Beach - Eastham
Lieutenant's island Wellfleet
First Encounter Beach (sunset) - Eastham
Rock Harbor (Orleans / Eastham)
Pamet River / Pamet Harbor - Truro

The Wellfleet beaches are great, but I believe are more restrictive for parking than others. Some require residence in town.

If you've got any other questions, let me know.

Bob.

Mar 30, 2015 at 09:37 PM
Ken Robb

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cape Cod in Summer

Thanks for the info. Any others?

Mar 31, 2015 at 06:37 AM
msshea
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cape Cod in Summer

I've always found the Bay side of Cape Cod more photographically interesting. The Brewster Flats, low tide at sunset can be delightful. Take LInnell Landing Road off of Rt.6A, drive to the parking lot at the end and walk the miles of beach. The parking lot is restricted to Brewster residents until 3:00 pm. Winter storms change the low tide sand configuration every year, so anything I saw two years ago could likely have disappeared. Another access point is the path that leads from the parking lot beside the Cape Cod Natural History Museum on Rt. 6A.

Great Island (part of the National Seashore) on the other side of Wellfleet has a large parking lot that can fill up in the summer, but most people head for the bayside beach that's close by. Head around the cove and up the path through the woods or walk around the eastern side of the island along the shoreline where you'll find high sand cliffs (very pretty at sunrise, but you'll have to start from the parking lot in the dark). You'll have the place mostly to yourselves whatever the time of day.

The dunes and beach on Sandy Neck in Barnstable will keep you busy for the better part of a day. It's a long hike out to the end, but worth it.

Merrill

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:54 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.