Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Lens suggestion for a birding trip (Images from last month's trip inside)

sumtiw
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens suggestion for a birding trip (Images from last month's trip inside)

Hello guys,

I am going to photograph some cranes in Nebraska (Rowe's sanctuary) with my professor.
He was there three weeks ago as well. Here are two SOOC images (5D3) that were taken from the blinds. I am going to be at the same location with the cranes being at the same distance.

The first one was taken with 70-200 at 200mm
And the second one was taken with a 600mm

Looking at these photos, I feel the need to go even closer.

What do you think would be a good lens to rent for this trip? I was thinking 400 f/2.8 and 2X TC. I would be using my 7D so the crop sensor would also help a bit.

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:49 PM
sumtiw
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens suggestion for a birding trip (Images from last month's trip inside)

Anyone, please?

Mar 30, 2015 at 02:04 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens suggestion for a birding trip (Images from last month's trip inside)

well, TC's always exact a penalty - can you rent a longer lens?

professor in what dept.? (at CSU?) are you an ornithologist?

Mar 30, 2015 at 02:31 PM
sumtiw
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens suggestion for a birding trip (Images from last month's trip inside)

rw11 wrote:
well, TC's always exact a penalty - can you rent a longer lens?

professor in what dept.? (at CSU?) are you an ornithologist?

Yes, I can rent whatever is available on borrowlenses.
Nope, we are Computer Information System guys This is just a hobby of ours.

Mar 30, 2015 at 02:37 PM
sumtiw
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens suggestion for a birding trip (Images from last month's trip inside)

My thought was that if I get a 400 f/2.8 I would be able to make it 800 f/5.6 by using a 2X TC and it would be a little less than what a 800 f/5.6 would cost me to rent.
Would there be a difference in the picture quality? I have never used these big ones so I have no clue what happens with them.
I wish I could try them all and then pick whatever I want.

Mar 30, 2015 at 02:42 PM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens suggestion for a birding trip (Images from last month's trip inside)

If it were my coin, I would rent either the 800/5.6 or 600/4 with 1.4.
As great a lens as the 400/2.8 is, by the time you add a 2x on it you lose the advantage.

Mar 30, 2015 at 02:59 PM
B Benson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens suggestion for a birding trip (Images from last month's trip inside)

I have both an 800 5.6 and a 400 2.8 plus 1.4 and 2x TC I have spent the last eight years shooting at Bosque del Apache and rarely use the 400. 99 percent 800 is what I shoot. If you want to use a TC I would recommend a 600. The 800 is really a sweet lens. Bruce

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:51 AM
ggleason
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens suggestion for a birding trip (Images from last month's trip inside)

I agree with either the 800 or a 600 and a 1.4 converter (the latter Nikon combination is what I use here in Florida). Gregg

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:18 AM
sumtiw
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens suggestion for a birding trip (Images from last month's trip inside)

Took your word and rented the 800
Can't wait for the weekend to arrive.
It's going to be fun.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:06 AM
Michael Rucci
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens suggestion for a birding trip (Images from last month's trip inside)

Good choice Hope all goes well and the weather is good .I will look forward to seeing your images

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:29 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens suggestion for a birding trip (Images from last month's trip inside)

yes, picture quality will decline (maybe only slightly) and the effective f-stop will be reduced (and that can make focussing difficult besides noise issues)

enjoy your hobby!

Mar 31, 2015 at 01:21 PM
sumtiw
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens suggestion for a birding trip (Images from last month's trip inside)

Michael Rucci wrote:
Good choice Hope all goes well and the weather is good .I will look forward to seeing your images

Thanks so much
The weather is supposed to be wonderful that day. Highs in mid 60s and lows of 50s. I am keeping my expectations low so that I don't feel bad later if I don't get to photograph anything. Haha..

BTW, It didn't work out with Borrowlenses.com They wanted a business insurance certificate which I don't have. Otherwise they wanted the full retail price of the lens to be deposited which was absolutely out of question.
So I contacted lensrentals.com and with their HD+ option I could get whatever I wanted. So I got 800 f5.6 and Canon 1Dx with a Wimberley type 2 gimbal head.

Borrowlenses.com should have something similar to lensrentals.com

Mar 31, 2015 at 03:37 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.