New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · D750 finally going in

Bernie
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D750 finally going in

I printed out the recall paperwork over a month ago, but I didn't have the flare / banding issue, so didn't send it in.

3 weeks ago I cleaned the sensor because of what looked like oil drops. I do a lot of my shooting at f22 so it gets to be tedious with landscapes to clone them out.

And now it's even worse.

Since others seemed to have their sensor cleaned while in for recall service, I'm hoping that I'll get the same...

And then the viewfinder lcd refused to show any focus points, roll indication, card out, etc. I had to reset the camera to get that back. Any thoughts on what may have happened there? I went through all the settings and couldn't find anything that controls the entire lcd.

Left a note to Nikon in the box on these issues as well.

Edited on Mar 29, 2015 at 03:45 PM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2015 at 01:56 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D750 finally going in

I'm not one to tell anyone what to do on this forum, but When I went from the D700 to the D800 I stopped shooting at f/22. My maximum for landscapes is right at f/13. The higher megapixel sensors are far more prone to not only diffraction, but showing spots that you wouldn't have seen on the 12mp varieties. Your spots don't look that unusual for f/22, and a quick wipe or two with a sensor pen, sensor gel gizmo, or equivalent tool would remove those. Or maybe even a blast or two from a Giotto Rocket Air bulb. So a suggestion is also try shooting your landscapes at the lower f/stop ranges, or a variety of ranges, and see if you really see a significant difference. Of course, it would depend on your lens quality also.

Mar 29, 2015 at 02:21 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D750 finally going in

Thanks for the f stop suggestion. I'll experiment with it once I get it back. I have tried a range in the past, but kept opting for the higher numbers... There are also some spots that I couldn't clean off...

I have a Giotto Rocket and used it yesterday before going out. So, the sample is after the air....

Mar 29, 2015 at 03:44 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D750 finally going in

It's very uncommon to see oil on the sensor. In most cases it's just normal dust. I clean a ton of sensors, and maybe 1 in 100 or so has oil. The rest are dust. If you look at a sensor with a sensor loupe, it's easy to tell if it's oil or dust. Oil reflects light brightly, and dust looks like little white specs. I think a lot of people assume its oil because they keep reading about it on the internet.

Mar 30, 2015 at 01:06 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D750 finally going in

Thanks Ben. It looks like I'll need to be upgrading my cleaning skills along with the usual composition, timing, ...

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:35 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.