New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · People Photography: I have lost my way

Photogkun

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · People Photography: I have lost my way

My focus is people and came here looking for ideas. I'm in the stage where I know I can improve my pictures much more. I read tutorials via Google searches and shoot, shoot, shoot but I don't "see something to set me apart". I have the gear and understand the basics but my composition is bad *even as I'm actively thinking about it* while taking pictures.

I attempt to find interesting ways to use locations including using lines and colors to compliment my subject. I think about shadows and lighting. I pretty much only shoot wide open for bokeh (I know that's wrong but I really do like bokeh). I try different poses and facial features...

Photos, recent and not:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aznmrk/

What am I doing wrong?

Edited on Mar 28, 2015 at 03:26 PM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2015 at 01:57 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · People Photography: I have lost my way

1. No connection. You take the photos because you think they'll make good photos, not because you really give a crap about them.

2. light sucks.

3. backgrounds suck.

4. poses suck.

On the plus side - you go to interesting places and you do meet interesting people who will make interesting photos once you work on connection, light, background and poses.

Do you mostly take just 1 photo of a subject? Take 20 next time.

Mar 28, 2015 at 02:10 PM
Photogkun

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · People Photography: I have lost my way

As much as that hurts to hear, because I really do care and try, I will take that to heart and think about that next time I take photos. Light, poses, and background are harder to work with since I already think about that and still manage to "not get it". I do take multiple photos and choose what I think is the best one.

Mar 28, 2015 at 02:12 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · People Photography: I have lost my way

Some are better. This works quite well, for example:

DSC00293 by Aznmrk, on Flickr

She has a nice expression, she's turned out of the harshest light, the background suits. You could improve composition and pose but it's definitely OK.

This is a bit of a mystery - kinda wrong on all counts:

DSC04472 by Aznmrk, on Flickr

This one has background/composition issues (though I realise it must be hard at a convention!)

DSC07038 by Aznmrk, on Flickr

Overall they seem to be snaps of people wherever they are rather than an attempt to find good background/light and then put people in it in a pleasing fashion.

I recommend Jeremy Cowart's video "Learning to see backwards" here:
https://seeuniversity.com/free

It shows the difference good background and light make.

Keep going!

Mar 28, 2015 at 02:48 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · People Photography: I have lost my way

I'd comment on your pics, if you'd be willing to post them here. I'm not into following links, especially to flicker.

A picture, followed by a comment on the picture is the ideal way to start a conversation on your (or anyone's) pics. Others will join in to add their opinions and everybody (not just you) will see the comments and learn from what other share.

Mar 28, 2015 at 02:56 PM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · People Photography: I have lost my way

Mark, I don't think you've "lost your way," as far as the street photography or candid snapshots in this Flickr album go. Get over this low spot and get out there and shoot. Not to further heap criticism on you, but very few of these are portraits. You have talent.

Mar 28, 2015 at 03:02 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · People Photography: I have lost my way

I think that's it. These aren't actually portraits (with 2 exceptions). Have a look at JC's video I listed above and you'll see the difference.

Mar 28, 2015 at 03:11 PM
Photogkun

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · People Photography: I have lost my way

Title edited. I used the incorrect term.

Mar 28, 2015 at 03:33 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · People Photography: I have lost my way

I've been thinking how to point towards better light and this is annoyingly kooky (for us Brits) but has some good tips:

In general to start - cut out top light, biggest possible side light (meaning not from above), nose slightly towards the light, camera and light (where possible) at eyebrow height.

If you do these 4 things you'll be well on your way. It doesn't have to be an added light of course - a train window (for example) will do very well as long as the subject isn't in direct sun.

but firstly background, background, background!!

Here's a good example of the above from Bob:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1355464

Mar 28, 2015 at 03:46 PM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · People Photography: I have lost my way

Interesting problem. To me, you have good situations but cannot "see" what you are shooting. It is almost as though you are not involved with what you shoot. You seem to be a voyeur standing back and are not part of what you shoot.

Somehow, you have to connect your mind to the subject ... get more personally interested and involved with what you shoot.

Mar 28, 2015 at 04:37 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · People Photography: I have lost my way

Yes, this is what I meant by "no connection" above. I'm glad someone else sees that too, I felt bad about writing it.

Mar 28, 2015 at 05:29 PM
Photogkun

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · People Photography: I have lost my way

Thank you Ian Boys, GoodEgg, and tonyfield . I will make sure to think about all of this advice moving forward.

Mar 28, 2015 at 07:15 PM
elorablue
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · People Photography: I have lost my way

Great advice. I'm going to keep these points in mind as well.

Mar 28, 2015 at 07:56 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · People Photography: I have lost my way

Another top example from Bob - cut out the top light, large side light (overcast sky?), nose towards the light, camera at (here - near) eyebrow height.

Result: good portrait.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1356680

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/90/1114690.jpg

Mar 29, 2015 at 08:17 AM
BubbaJon
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · People Photography: I have lost my way

tonyfield wrote:
Interesting problem. To me, you have good situations but cannot "see" what you are shooting. It is almost as though you are not involved with what you shoot. You seem to be a voyeur standing back and are not part of what you shoot.

Somehow, you have to connect your mind to the subject ... get more personally interested and involved with what you shoot.

Good advice - I tell people that photographers fall in love with every model.
I'd like to add one more think to offset some of the harshness of other critiques - keep it up. Find your "voice" - think about the why you're doing it - it does seem you are trying to please someone else. Don't. Work for yourself and nobody else. Eventually it will get sorted out.
I'd like to refer you to one of teh best essays on photography I've ever had the pleasure of hearing from teh author himself. Craig Tanner - the Myth of Talent

Apr 04, 2015 at 09:30 AM
giustiniani

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · People Photography: I have lost my way

I see lack of anticipation. A lot of people seem to be tired. Look at their eyes. Are you shooting with manual lenses and focusing through EVF? That can be a problem with the shallow DOF. Maybe you could try zone focusing.

Cheers,

Apr 04, 2015 at 04:54 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.