New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · First day with my 500 F4

doonie15
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First day with my 500 F4

I picked up a beautiful 500 AF-I recently and this morning was the first chance I had to get out in the field. We have a nature preserve just outside of the city of Buffalo which used to be a landfill in the 70's and they've actually done a really nice job of turning it into a protected area. We get a wide assortment of fowl but only for a very short time in the early spring. Also some herons and egrets but unlike some areas in the south they will not tolerate humans and it's very rare that you can get close enough. I wanted to get out and test my new to me 500 as I'm headed to Florida in 2 weeks. I also just picked up a refurb D7100 from KEH that came to me with 0 clicks ??. It was 16 degrees this morning so take these for what they are, pretty much just a test.

Mar 28, 2015 at 09:40 AM
doonie15
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First day with my 500 F4

And a couple more

Mar 28, 2015 at 09:50 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First day with my 500 F4

500 af-i is a monster of a lens, but it can sing.

Mar 28, 2015 at 09:57 AM
doonie15
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First day with my 500 F4

Jason_Brook wrote:
500 af-i is a monster of a lens, but it can sing.

No kidding ! I figure if I ever get attacked by anything or anyone I can grab the legs of the Gitzo and just start swinging.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:08 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First day with my 500 F4

Hmmm, if you're gonna be humping THAT around
I'd sure be "testing" it at f4...BTJM

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:09 AM
doonie15
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First day with my 500 F4

trenchmonkey wrote:
Hmmm, if you're gonna be humping THAT around
I'd sure be "testing" it at f4...BTJM

Very good point !

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:14 AM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First day with my 500 F4

Congrats on the gear. Nice photos.
If you are driving to Florida you might want to check out Laurel Hill Wildlife Dr, which meanders along four miles of earthen dikes through the managed freshwater pools and hardwood hammocks. It is located ~ 11 miles southeast of the Hardeeville, SC exit 5 US 17 S off I 95 in the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge and well worth the detour if you have the time.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:57 AM
doonie15
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First day with my 500 F4

I am driving. I've got 2 days at Blue Cypress Lake for Osprey and then 4 nights at St Pete's Beach where I can hit Fort De Soto Park and I'm going to try the Venice Rookery also. With any luck maybe I can make your spot on the trip home. Thanks for the tip !

Mar 28, 2015 at 08:56 PM
CJMiller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First day with my 500 F4

I was just in Sarasota for a week with the family. Spent a afternoon in Venice on the beach. Several people recommended a trip to the rookery. Unfortunately, the rest the family had no interest. Have a good trip, the weather should be great

Mar 28, 2015 at 09:05 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First day with my 500 F4

That lens came to a person that is worthy shooting with it . Job very well done!

Mar 29, 2015 at 02:36 AM
doonie15
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First day with my 500 F4

Vinnie_VdB wrote:
That lens came to a person that is worthy shooting with it . Job very well done!

Thanks for the very nice compliment ! I'm guessing that we've reached a point with some of the new offerings; Nikon's new 80-400, the Tamron and Sigma's 150-600's, that many won't see the point of carrying around a big, heavy, fixed lens such as the 500 prime. And I totally get that. I also considered those options before this purchase. But I've been lusting after a lens of this caliber for 20 years and when it finally came within reach I couldn't resist. I guess I'm old school but what most see as heavy and "focal length limited" I see as a quality piece of equipment that brings me joy just to look at. And the feeling that I get from use is hard to explain. I'm almost 60 years old and I hauled that thing around attached to my Gitzo&Wimberley combo for about 2 miles yesterday morning and it felt great ! And I also found out that I won't have to worry about it freezing up in 16 degree weather .

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:12 AM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First day with my 500 F4

doonie15 wrote:
Thanks for the very nice compliment ! I'm guessing that we've reached a point with some of the new offerings; Nikon's new 80-400, the Tamron and Sigma's 150-600's, that many won't see the point of carrying around a big, heavy, fixed lens such as the 500 prime. And I totally get that. I also considered those options before this purchase. But I've been lusting after a lens of this caliber for 20 years and when it finally came within reach I couldn't resist. I guess I'm old school but what most see as heavy and "focal length limited" I see
...Show more

What we need is an All Terrain Segway with Gimbal Head mounts

Have fun with the lens...just got mine as well.

Mar 29, 2015 at 01:26 PM
doonie15
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · First day with my 500 F4

Perfect ! And don't forget the cupholders.

Mar 29, 2015 at 03:57 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.