FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Chance to buy professional wildlife setup

tsbrennan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Chance to buy professional wildlife setup

Hello,
I am a new member again after a lot of participation and then several years of infrequent visits to FredMiranda. I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this post, but I wanted to reach experienced wildlife photographers.
I shoot wildlife pretty much exclusively, and have been primarily using a Canon 7D and 100-400 f4.0-5.6 Mk 1 push pull lens. Money has been a barrier to upgrading from this setup, as the next steps up are pretty pricey. I shoot primarily handheld, but sometimes shoot from a vehicle, which enables some support. I have no problem getting very sharp photos handheld with my setup (when the light allows).
I have come into some money, and am now able to consider a more professional set up. I am considering the 1D IV, upgrading to a 1-400 Mk II for the 7d (more of a walk around setup), and a longer lens on the 1D.
I have been going back and forth between the 500 f4 Mk II and the 200-400 w/ the 1.4 extender for the longer lens. Both would be challenging handheld, I know. I would be going from 3-4 pounds to closer to 10 with the 1D.
I know primes are better overall, but I like the flexibility of the 200-400 with the 1.4 extender at the flip of a switch, so I am leaning this way.

Considering my shooting style, does anyone have any ideas, experiences, opinions?
Terry

Mar 28, 2015 at 01:13 AM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Chance to buy professional wildlife setup

Go with the zoom for sure, unless you can afford both!!
Don

Mar 28, 2015 at 07:42 AM
drobertfranz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Chance to buy professional wildlife setup

For primarily handholding I would take the 500mm F4 over the 200-400. The 500 is lighter and gives you more reach and would pair nicely with the 100-400mm. Zooming the 200-400 while handholding is very difficult with the zoom ring being quite stiff on every 200-400 I've seen or used. The 500mm is really nice for handholding... Another thing I can tell you is the new 100-400mm, while much better than the old, in some ways is more difficult to zoom when handholding as well especially compared to the maligned push pull zoom on the old one. You can't beat a push pull zoom for flight/action photography especially for subjects coming towards you.. The zoom ring on the new 100-400mm again is quite stiff and when you try to turn the zoom ring in tends to pull you off subject.

Edited on Mar 28, 2015 at 10:03 AM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2015 at 08:19 AM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Chance to buy professional wildlife setup

I love for the 200-400mm, amazing lens. Zooming with the canon tripod foot it comes is very difficult (at least for me). I went with the 4th Generation CRX-5 low mount and zooming handheld works great. I use mine more handheld then on a tripod. I really like the Black rapid sport strap for carrying it. My wife sold her 500mm for a 200-400mm after I got mine and loves it. She did have the older version, not the current version. I love it for travel. It also takes a stacked extender very well. I traded my 300mm f2.8 for mine and never looked back.

Mar 28, 2015 at 09:14 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Chance to buy professional wildlife setup

My vote would go to the 500II if you are also getting the 100-400II. You will also want to pick up the 1.4III and 2.0III TCs to use with the 500 and that can get you some serious reach of 1300mm on the 1D4. The 1.4TC also works extremely well on the 100-400II but only will AF on the 1D4.

The 200-400 is a very versatile lens but zooming is hard handheld as the ring is fairly tight and the lens is heavy. I can do it sometimes and I also have the CRX-5 low foot as Rob mentions but it isn't my favourite way to use that lens. I prefer 200-400 on monopod.

Mar 28, 2015 at 09:59 AM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Chance to buy professional wildlife setup

Would suggest going with 1DX instead of 1DIV, since 1DX is now discounted. I feel that the 1DX is a much better body than the 1DIV, which I used for 4 years before upgrading. Wish I had done so sooner.

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:38 PM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Chance to buy professional wildlife setup

Would suggest going with 1DX instead of 1DIV, since 1DX is now discounted. I feel that the 1DX is a much better body than the 1DIV, which I used for 4 years before upgrading. Wish I had done so sooner.

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:38 PM
Pinballgov
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Chance to buy professional wildlife setup

If you can rent the lens first and see how it fits your needs.

Apr 18, 2015 at 02:50 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Chance to buy professional wildlife setup

For my nickel's worth.....

Get the 1Dx....and get a 500 f4 vs1....use the extra money not spent on the 500 vsII to help pay the
difference to the 1Dx, as well as for other items....like a great tripod and gimble head to start.

I shoot the MKIV...love it...but can't wait to get up to a 1Dx...!!!

And...you never mentioned if you had a tripod setup...and if shooting wildlife...you will want one.

Based on your statements...getting the 1Dx, 500 vs1, tripod and gibel head...will still leave some
funds...if so...then consider a version 1 300 2.8 as the inbetween setup...takes both TC's rather
well...and so light weight...no tripod needed....killer combo

Apr 18, 2015 at 08:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Chance to buy professional wildlife setup

tsbrennan wrote:
I know primes are better overall, but I like the flexibility of the 200-400 with the 1.4 extender at the flip of a switch, so I am leaning this way.

Considering my shooting style, does anyone have any ideas, experiences, opinions?
Terry

Well unless you want to pack more than one lens around, primes are certainly not better overall. IMO

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:32 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.