Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need help with regard to Zeiss Distagon ZE/ZF.2 lenses.

DaveFP
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help with regard to Zeiss Distagon ZE/ZF.2 lenses.

I am looking hard at getting involved with Zeiss Distagon lenses for my Sony A7r.

Couple of questions on my mind -

On DPR I was warned that the 35mm and wider lenses could not achieve infinity focus when used with a Metabones 4 adaptor.

I like the idea of the ZE lenses with the Metabones for ease of aperture control but if the combo has a problem it is clearly not worthwhile.

I would also consider the ZF.2 versions with Novoflex adaptor but I have read that the aperture ring sits in a valley and is difficult to manipulate.

Any and all insights with regard to these lenses and adaptors would be greatly appreciated. Thank you !

Note - I am aware that the ZEs will only mount on Canons where the ZF.2s will mount on all systems. That would suggest that the ZF.2s are a better bet. That said the aperture control is appealing. Note quite what would be most enjoyable over the long haul......

Mar 27, 2015 at 08:32 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help with regard to Zeiss Distagon ZE/ZF.2 lenses.

I had not heard anything about the wider ZE lenses being problematic on the Metabones IV. A friend of mine uses his ZE 15 to great success with Metabones, but he may still be using a III.

Personally, I'd say if the focus direction of the ZF's don't bother you, they'd be the better bet. They're lighter (a bit smaller as well) and you can get a good dumb adapter much cheaper. Even if you went for one with a manual aperture ring for G lenses, you'd still save some over the MB.

I would only recommend investing in Novoflex if the rotating tripod mount foot is of equal interest. If you just want an adapter, save some money and look at Fotodiox or one of the many other cheaper brands. Novoflex makes good adapters (I have FD and Contax adapters from them), but it's the flexibility of the tripod mount that sets them apart. Otherwise, they're just another metal tube.

Mar 27, 2015 at 09:32 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help with regard to Zeiss Distagon ZE/ZF.2 lenses.

I have the ZE 21 and 35 f/1.4 and I use them on my A7 II with no problems. My adapter definitely is not too thick so that it prevents infinity focus. Mine was actually too thin so I shimmed it a bit. Auto-aperture is nice for placing the focal plane more precisely when handholding, but on a tripod stopping down is not a problem at all. So that advantage depends on how often you use a tripod. I like having the ZE lenses, but I can also see how the ZF lenses would be nice.

Mar 27, 2015 at 09:43 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help with regard to Zeiss Distagon ZE/ZF.2 lenses.

Steve Spencer wrote:
I have the ZE 21 and 35 f/1.4 and I use them on my A7 II with no problems. My adapter definitely is not too thick so that it prevents infinity focus. Mine was actually too thin so I shimmed it a bit. Auto-aperture is nice for placing the focal plane more precisely when handholding, but on a tripod stopping down is not a problem at all. So that advantage depends on how often you use a tripod. I like having the ZE lenses, but I can also see how the ZF lenses would be nice.

Steve - which adaptor? Thanks.

Mar 27, 2015 at 09:57 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help with regard to Zeiss Distagon ZE/ZF.2 lenses.

freaklikeme wrote:
I had not heard anything about the wider ZE lenses being problematic on the Metabones IV. A friend of mine uses his ZE 15 to great success with Metabones, but he may still be using a III.

Personally, I'd say if the focus direction of the ZF's don't bother you, they'd be the better bet. They're lighter (a bit smaller as well) and you can get a good dumb adapter much cheaper. Even if you went for one with a manual aperture ring for G lenses, you'd still save some over the MB.

I would only recommend investing in Novoflex if
...Show more
Thanks - wasn't even aware of the tripod mount. I am a long time Canon guy so the change indirection will be weird for me. Another small concern.

Mar 27, 2015 at 09:58 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help with regard to Zeiss Distagon ZE/ZF.2 lenses.

DaveFP wrote:
Steve - which adaptor? Thanks.

I have the metabones IV.

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:26 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need help with regard to Zeiss Distagon ZE/ZF.2 lenses.

If you like to have exif data then the ZE's are the only way I think.

The Metabones can sometimes bee a bit glitchy and cause the a7r to stop working, normally power off and on sorts it out. With zf lenses you wouldn't need electronics

Mar 28, 2015 at 02:19 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.