Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

yordanrhapsody

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

hi everybody
I own a canon 5dmark III and an old 1d mark III (and a bunch of mirrorless cameras from olympus and fuji)

I do weddings and indoor sport photography.

I feel that it's about the time to upgrade my 1dmarkIII, when shooting indoor I sometimes need very high iso (5000-6400) and 1/400s-1/500s so I need to switch to the 5d3.

how does 7d2 compare with my 1d3? I love the 1d grip (very comfortable - more than 5d3), I love 1d3 viewfinder (it is better than 5d3, although not as much big), but I find that over iso 2500 it is not as good as I need (I shoot in jpg)

1d4 is a very good camera, but has a very high price in the used market (too high if I can say)

Mar 27, 2015 at 01:26 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

For the price the 1DIV commands, you may as well get a second 5D3. Nothing like having two of the same cameras for a wedding. I wouldn't imagine that the 7DII is any better than the 1DIII in terms of ISO.

I'm seriously considering adding a second 5D3 for this wedding season as well.

Mar 27, 2015 at 01:33 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

Depends on your own work split between weddings and indoor sport. If you mostly shoot weddings then another 5D3 is probably a good idea. If you do more indoor sport the 1D4 is worth it.

Mar 27, 2015 at 01:39 PM
yordanrhapsody

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

a second 5d3 is a very good choice, but I need more reach (with 5d3 I need to add 1.4x, with 1 stop light loss)

7d2 with 1.6x crop would make a perfect solution for my needs, but if high iso aren't so great, maybe it's better a 1d4

the problem is that here in Italy, an used 1d4 with way more than 100k actuations is selling for almost 1800€, when a new 7d2 will be no more than 15-1600€

Mar 27, 2015 at 01:49 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

Regarding high iso, the 1d4 would be better than the 7d2, but I think the 7d2 is better than the 1d3 especially when you consider file size. You'd be better off with the 7d2 with grip I think because the cameras will be more similar and the batteries will be compatible. Also, if you shoot video, it's much better on the 7d2. It also would be a quieter camera for those vow pictures.

Mar 27, 2015 at 02:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

I upgraded from the 1DIII to 1DIV in 2011. It was a significant step up, for sure. I still use it, alongside a 1DX.

I have no experience with teh 7DII.

Mar 27, 2015 at 03:38 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

The 5DIII won't give you the frame rate of the 1DIII.

That alone will push you to a 1DIV or 7DII.

I believe the general consensus here and elsewhere is the 7DII and 1DIV are very close together with respect to noise performance. You are on your own to research that one.

I would bet that the files out of the 1DIV are more malleable than the files out of the 7DII.

Given that the price difference in your market is 200 to 300 euros (your info), and the benefits of the 1D over the 5D bodies that you cite, it sure seems like an easy decision to choose the 1DIV.

I would guess that the biggest differences between the two is the lack of spot focus with all lenses on the 1DIV compared to the 7D/7DII.

Mar 27, 2015 at 03:49 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

I'm not convinced the MkIV is that much better at high ISO that the 7DII. Although I haven't shot the 7DII yet, I have the sense that it is performing a lot better than was expected.

However, with either camera, if you are shooting jpg at 6400, I'm not sure the in-camera noise reduction will be adequate, and you might have to run your jpg's through some NR software.

Mark

Mar 27, 2015 at 03:50 PM
LuckyStrike
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

Not sure if this helps or not, but..... I just got my 7D2 yesterday and been testing her out.

This afternoon/evening was very overcast and dull, so made a series of shots @ ISO 6400. To my eye the noise level here is about the same as my old 7D was @ ISO1600
This photo has not had any noise reduction done in PP ... I'm sure it could be cleaned up nicely.

LuckyT

I have a feeling I'm going to really like this camera. The shutter seems very quiet .. faster to focus and lock on subject, very clear image inside viewfinder... 12 FPS is crazy! Lots of plus+++ features

© LuckyStrike 2015

Hummingbird in low light @ ISO 6400

Mar 29, 2015 at 02:04 AM
yordanrhapsody

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

Thanks for every comment

I don't really need high fps, I usually prefer to shoot at the right moment instead of a lucky burst
Usually I'm shooting at no more than 10Mpixel, I print at 6x8", rarely at 8x10

I'd like 1d4 for comfort, viewfinder, IQ
7d2 is maybe better for more reach thanks to 1.6x crop and I think the ability to sync with indoor lights will be useful in my work

Though choice

Mar 29, 2015 at 05:56 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

To get a sense of the IQ difference at higher ISO's use the Imaging Resource utility.

Imaging Resource ISO comparison

Mar 29, 2015 at 06:26 AM
Tyr-Sog
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

7Dmk ii does extremely well under high iso's. I was shooting the 6D and 7D2 under 6400iso conditions like I'd normally shoot(not set up for perfection) and tbh, I couldn't tell the difference. At least at that iso setting. I'm sure anything higher and the bigger sensor pulls ahead but I never shoot that high anyways. The 7d2 metering is really nice too. The best I've used(out of d40, d7000,d600,6d).

Mar 29, 2015 at 07:57 AM
WestFalcon
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

Might consider the 6D.....I used to shoot weddings and this camera would be fantastic for that...I have used ISO 12000 with good results.

Mar 29, 2015 at 08:29 AM
yordanrhapsody

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

I'm looking for an action camera, I use AI-servo all the time, and almost never the central af point. Shutter lag is important as well

6d is good for weddings, but I can't work with it in my indoor sport sessions

The day after tomorrow I will try to rent a 7d2 for a few days

Mar 29, 2015 at 08:39 AM
dreamfields

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

I used to shoot a pair of 1DIIIs. Most of what I shoot is for our local newspaper, about 15-20 assignments a month. 75% is high school sports and the rest is mainly for their special interest publications. All of the magazines have full size formats and are printed on glossy paper, th exact opposite of newsprint, so nice files are required. My old bodies did a fine job for over four years of work, but I felt I my sports images at high ISO were lagging the staff guys D3s' and D4s. So I upgraded to a 5DIII and while happy with it for the ISO performance, I missed the 10FPS. So four months ago I got a 7DII. It is the best sports camera I have ever used. AF tracking is much better then the 1DIIIs. If I could swing it I would add a second to carry for sports. Both bodies are gripped so the feel is close to my old bricks. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Mar 29, 2015 at 05:28 PM
Mtmountainman
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

msalvetti wrote:
I'm not convinced the MkIV is that much better at high ISO that the 7DII. Although I haven't shot the 7DII yet, I have the sense that it is performing a lot better than was expected.

However, with either camera, if you are shooting jpg at 6400, I'm not sure the in-camera noise reduction will be adequate, and you might have to run your jpg's through some NR software.

Mark

If your wanting clean files, you are better off using RAW files instead of jpgs.

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:00 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

Used prices of 1D4's are bargain prices for what you get.

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:17 PM
yordanrhapsody

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · upgrade 1d mark III: 7d2, 1dIV or wait?

Mtmountainman wrote:
If your wanting clean files, you are better off using RAW files instead of jpgs.

I can't use RAW files, the key to selling the photos is "speed", I can't afford to lose time converting them to jpeg from RAW

tomorrow I'll try out a 7d2 at a local store and see if it convinces me (they also have an used 1d4, so I should be able to do a proper comparison, if they allow me to use them for a bit)

Mar 30, 2015 at 02:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.