FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Shiprock Rising

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Shiprock Rising

matthewsaville wrote:
Spectacular shot, Jim! I've always wanted to visit Shiprock...

I feel like the edges of the image are a bit too un-interesting, maybe, I'd almost prefer to see a less wide view if possible. Not sure if this is ~24mm, or wider, but I think a bit more compression would have helped. Either that, or step back, zoom out even more, and crop to a panorama that gives an even greater sense of place.

Thans Matt! I am glad you like it, and you should get out there it's a cool place. I do have to say that your comment about the edges being un-interesting have had me scratching my head for a day now. I don't think I have ever heard that comment or suggestion on any photo in here, and not that it makes your comment not count, but just trying to figure it out. The usual complaint about edges is that they distract from an image, so it's about removing objects that distract.

The focus for me is Shiprock with the clouds cradling it from the top, with hopefully the cool cracked ground leading up from the left corner into the middle where Shiprock lies. Anyway, that's what drew me to this composition.

Jim

---------------------------------------------

Lisa_Holloway wrote:
I am loving the monochrome - you captured some amazing details!

Thank you Lisa! I am glad you like this.

Jim

roguecoolman wrote:
It's too bad BW gets a bad rap for landscapes in the modern days. When used appropriately BW conveys a mood and feeling that color can't (vice versa of course, unique on their own). I like the BW adaptation there Jim.

Jason

Hey Jason, I appreciate the comments and glad you like it. Yeah, B&W does seem under used now a days. That's why it's great to see guys like Klaus Priebe with his dramatic B&W work and the drama and moods they pull out of an image.

Thanks again,

Jim

jord217 wrote:
Great shot Jim. I give you props for driving out there in the dark. My wife and I drove out here for sunset in our Jetta and it was tricky. That road was crazy how it just fell away in parts. Lots of careful driving The BW really bring out some great textures. I'm sure the color version is great also but I like your processing choice here.

Thanks Jordan! Yeah, the color version does look sweet, perhaps I will post a color version from a different composition later. I appreciate the comments!

As for the road, yeah it can have some sudden dips and all, but I will say I zipped along it at a rather quick pace. Part of it is I have been there a half dozen times before so I do know the gist of the road, and also it helps to be driving in a Jeep then a little Jetta! I have a Grand Cherokee with over sized tires on it, so I have some pretty nice clearance, though I still have to keep an eye out for sudden drops from washouts.

Jim

Mar 28, 2015 at 01:50 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Shiprock Rising

Ominous, stark and desolate. Wonderful image.

Mar 28, 2015 at 03:05 PM
Mado
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Shiprock Rising

The choice of BW is absolutely perfect. Wow!

Mar 28, 2015 at 04:06 PM
ChrisKayler
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Shiprock Rising

Without seeing the color, I definitely like this in black and white! The silvery tones are really beautiful. The composition is nice with the two bushes along the bottom left anchoring the image. I also like how dark you went with the sky in the upper left. I might consider playing around with a 4x5 crop, taking some off the right.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:01 AM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Shiprock Rising

Outstanding image Jim. Very nice.

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:07 AM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Shiprock Rising

Wonderful composition and looks great in B&W.

Apr 02, 2015 at 12:17 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Shiprock Rising

Very nice!!

Apr 02, 2015 at 12:45 PM
Amador
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Shiprock Rising

I'm digging this image, Jim. B&W is perfect for this scene. I also like the FG bushes. They really add a lot to the desert atmosphere.

Chris

Apr 04, 2015 at 12:10 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Shiprock Rising

Really like this version, fantastic!

Apr 04, 2015 at 06:27 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Shiprock Rising

I missed this one when it was originally posted...and have now found it through the color version...I much prefer this one. Great tonal ranges and textures, which are highlighted so nicely here in B&W.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:49 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.