New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Post-Processing Question & Adobe programs

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Post-Processing Question & Adobe programs

Okay - I've sort of had it!!!

I have a converted Canon SL1 to IR and I like playing with it, but I can't get the post-processing to work.

I have Lightroom, which is great, but Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 just shut down and I can't get it to work at all!

I really wanted Photoshop, but it's damned expensive. BUT I don't even know how to use it that well. I have it at work on my computer, but again, it's really hard to use and I can't get it to do anything I want it to, especially with IR.

I see that Adobe has a $9.99/mo special for Photoshop and Lightroom, but I have Lightroom and I'm worried that it's a ploy to raise their prices way out of whack. Does anyone have experience w/ Photoshop CC and this $9.99/mo deal?
What happens after the first year, does it stay at $9.99 or does it go up And how do you know?

HELP!!!!

Mar 25, 2015 at 08:57 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Post-Processing Question & Adobe programs

I just completed my first year of the Photoshop/Lightroom subscription plan. It automatically renewed at the same price per month.

There's lots of PS training on the web, from Adobe and others. Lynda.com has nearly 100 courses on PS, ranging from the beginner to expert. You can get a free trial of a Lynda subscription at the web site.

Mar 25, 2015 at 08:59 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Post-Processing Question & Adobe programs

CC photo pack will be here for the foreseeable future . when Adobe launched it they said it would always remain at a competitively low price (of course that won't guarantee 9.99 ) .

as for having LR currently , I'm in the same boat . I have LR5 twice (I got the 2nd free with my 5D3 on a canon promotion) and run CS6 . but when LR6 finally comes out I will probably jump on the CC photo pack rather than upgrade LR on its own .

Mar 26, 2015 at 02:14 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Post-Processing Question & Adobe programs

I have had Photoshop Elements 11 on 3 computers for the past couple of years. I have had other versions of Elements for about 10 years. I have never had an issue. I think you should find out what is wrong. Unless you do a lot of sophisticated processing, Elements is easier to use and has almost the capability of the full Photoshop CS.

Mar 26, 2015 at 07:49 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Post-Processing Question & Adobe programs

Bill,

It sounds like you've got 3 issues. PSE-11 crashing, ability of PSE or LR to deal with IR images (not sure which) and finally a concern on Adobe's monthly subscription plan.

Crashing: no mention of OS and version so it's difficult to offer suggestions.

IR editing: most intricate things require some detailed learning process as there is rarely a silver bullet solution. However, thanks to google it has become easier.
My first search using "How to edit IR photos in Lightroom" popped up some very relevant links you might want to view.

Adobe's subscription: no one here has a crystal ball to peer into Adobe's head to see what the future holds. Only you can decide if their offering suits your needs.
IMPC, I mostly use LR and will continue to operate it as a stand alone app until I'm forced by a Adobe decision to not offer it that way.
So far, there has been no indication of that happening only a bunch of talk from others (who's crystal balls don't work )

Matt

Mar 28, 2015 at 07:54 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Post-Processing Question & Adobe programs

billsamuels wrote:
I see that Adobe has a $9.99/mo special for Photoshop and Lightroom, but I have Lightroom and I'm worried that it's a ploy to raise their prices way out of whack. Does anyone have experience w/ Photoshop CC and this $9.99/mo deal?

What happens after the first year, does it stay at $9.99 or does it go up And how do you know?

You don't. But the Adobe subscription model is here to stay and frankly, there's not a lot of use in objecting to or fretting over it. It's a pretty decent deal for most (though I understand the initial aggravation of many users who had recently spent hundreds on software to own).

Mar 29, 2015 at 08:25 PM
dmeachum

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Post-Processing Question & Adobe programs

Does anyone know why raw files would convert automatically to jpeg files when imported into Adobe Bridge?
The camera (Canon 40D) is set for raw files.
Thanks

Mar 30, 2015 at 07:19 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Post-Processing Question & Adobe programs

dmeachum wrote:
Does anyone know why raw files would convert automatically to jpeg files when imported into Adobe Bridge?
The camera (Canon 40D) is set for raw files.
Thanks

There were maybe only two versions of Photoshop that used Bridge, it has been ACR for sometime. Which version of Ps are you using: CS, CS2, possibly CS3?

Brian A

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:07 AM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Post-Processing Question & Adobe programs

You can use ACR in two different ways: either Bridge-hosted or Photoshop-hosted.

Bridge CC, a separate download from the Creative Cloud, is included in the Photographers' Special subscription and works with the current Ps CC 2014.

Apr 04, 2015 at 06:07 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.