Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

JGalicki

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

Has anyone in the forum been to Alaska recently for a bird photography trip? I'm going in May/June and having a hard time trying to figure out what to bring. I want to be as light and mobile as possible since we'll be constantly on the move (4 interstate flights), but also want to have all reach I need. I'll be in Nome, Barrow, Denali, and the Kenai Peninsula.

For wildlife, I'm thinking of bringing my two camera bodies (1DX and 7D mark ii), both tele extenders, the 70-200mm f/2.8, and the my new 100-400 mark ii, which I love! Maybe a flash setup also...it's all fairly light and I can get around easily. I also have the 600mm f/4 and the 400mm f/4 DO....I really like both but not sure if the additional reach, weight, tripod, and size is worth it. I'd imagine that it will all come down to how close I can get and whether a good deal of the birds are tame...I just don't know.

Thx for any input!

Josh

Mar 25, 2015 at 02:47 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

I'm from the Kenai Peninsula, and while I'm not a bird shooter, I'll throw in my two cents. I am assuming you'll be renting a car, so hauling equipment won't be a huge issue once you are here.

The Homer area throws the Kachemak Bay Shorebird Festival in early May. Not sure if you'll be around that early, but those are tiny birds out on mudflats. I think I'd want the 600 for those.

I'd suggest the 100-400 and 600 and both bodies as Alaska birds aren't exactly tame. Also something wider as well, as you'll want to be able to take in the big Alaska landscapes.

Make sure you have insurance. Vehicle breakins are a potential issue everywhere, but particularly in Anchorage.

Mar 25, 2015 at 03:31 PM
JGalicki

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

Thx for your input! I'll be there from 28 May - mid June. For landscapes I was going to bring my 24mm wide angle prime f/1.4 and the 24-70mm f/4 zoom. I'll be with a group of 6 so we'll have a van...storage space might be tight! Very good to know about the break in situation....Josh

Mar 25, 2015 at 03:49 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

JGalicki wrote:
Thx for your input! I'll be there from 28 May - mid June. For landscapes I was going to bring my 24mm wide angle prime f/1.4 and the 24-70mm f/4 zoom. I'll be with a group of 6 so we'll have a van...storage space might be tight! Very good to know about the break in situation....Josh

Right on. I'd also invest in one of those mosquito net hats and some bug spray. The mosquitoes will be out in force, especially in the Interior. You'll be like fresh meat sitting on a tripod.

You could probably leave the 24 1.4 at home if you are just after landscapes. Won't be much night sky photography that time of year. Though there are other reasons to want a fast aperture lens.

PS--The Moose's Tooth pizzeria and microbrewery in Anchorage is not to be missed. Have fun.

Mar 25, 2015 at 05:51 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

Alaska is a rainforest. Bring plenty of wet weather gear.(For you and your camera.)
Bring all the gear you can haul.
When I went they had the driest June ever. You couldn't wipe the smiles off of the locals faces.
We have big mosquitoes in Minnesota, they're bigger in Alaska. (They even show in some photos!)
I'd love to go back. Hawaii this June, so maybe next year.

Mar 25, 2015 at 06:03 PM
maljo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

What I took:
Two bodies
500 f4
70-200/2.8
24-70/2.8
macro
tripod
Thinktank Airport Acceleration backpack
+
was very happy and mobile, including hiking a lot, with this setup.
I think you would use the 600, especially in bear and bird country.
I went in August and the mosquitos were not bad.

maljo
http://gallerymallery.smugmug.com/Photography/Alaska-2012/i-C9sVKSc/0/X3/Seward%20Alaska%202012%20Pond-X3.jpg

Mar 25, 2015 at 06:28 PM
maljo
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

By the way...

Alaska is an absolutely amazing place! Loved it, have been there twice. Huge beyond belief. Really beautiful. Can't wait to return.
Have fun!

maljo

Mar 25, 2015 at 06:29 PM
Jim McCann
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

I live in the interior region of Alaska. I couldn't imagine not having my 500 handy. My move around, ready for anything outfit is a 7D II with a 100-400 MkII lens, another setup I couldn't imagine being without. Be mindful of the salt water in Barrow, and the weather there along the arctic ocean can be rugged. I've been snowed on there on July 4th. Be prepared for all types of weather. You're going to have a blast!

Jim

Mar 25, 2015 at 07:50 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

Alaska is a place one would need both a very wide lens and a very close telephoto lens. Last time I was in Alaska, my 24-70mm wasn't wide enough and my 400mm + 1.4x wasn't long enough (used with a 5D3).

If I had a 600mm f/4 I'd bring it along with a 2X . A friend of mine travels the world with a 600mm f/4 (v. 1) and a 200-400mm f/4. He also brought with him a child stroller with shock absorbing wheels. He can go for miles on pretty tough terrain without breaking a sweat. He told me, one time he went on an organized bird trip in Florida and other photographers (with big lenses) were snickering at him but after a 1 mile hike lugging the equipment, the next day half of them showed up with their own strollers.

Mar 25, 2015 at 08:06 PM
Dave Bachrach
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

I live in Homer and guide brown bear photo tours. I would recommend a wide zoom 16-35 or 17-40, the 100-400 and your 600. If you see snowy owls in Barrow you'll be glad you brought your 600. Enjoy your visit here!

Mar 26, 2015 at 02:01 AM
JGalicki

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

Thx all for the great advice and photos! Looks like I'll be bringing along my 600 as well as wide angles lenses...going to look into the stroller advice...seems like an interesting solution for long hikes.

Josh

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:13 AM
Jim McCann
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

You might want to invest in a "stroller" with 4 Wheel Drive!

Mar 26, 2015 at 05:18 PM
Tlazer

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

I agree with Dave on the lens selection, but I would maybe also bring the 70-200mm along. I use mine all the time and you may want it for some of the larger mammals up here. You will be coming at a good time since the moose will be calving about that time. Calving is around the 20th of May to the first part of June. Some cows can be aggressive with new borns so be careful, and moose around Anchorage that are used to people can be very tolerant. But they still need their space, and if you are new to reading their body language you may want to stay a little farther away. I would definitely bring the 600mm since that will be a good lens for bird photography and for sheep and lambs on the hillsides. Don't forget a raincoat for the camera equipment, end of May and June is usually fairly dry with some of our best weather on the lower peninsula, but unsure what you may run into in Nome and Barrow.

Apr 01, 2015 at 02:06 AM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

Not sure what flights you'll be on for the Nome/Barrow legs, but if you end up on a smaller prop plane with PenAir, you might not have room to stash a standard carry-on bag. That's always a big pain for me when I head up there.

Apr 02, 2015 at 04:55 PM
Jim McCann
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

Nome and Barrow are no problem with air travel 'cause you'll likely be on Alaska Airline. If you go out onto the Alaska Peninsula and travel with PenAir they will charge you extra for all sorts of things, they are very expensive! I did a magazine assignment down to Cold Bay last fall and I think PenAir charged me for the air I breathed!

Like I said previously, you are going to have a blast!

Apr 02, 2015 at 09:45 PM
MDJAK
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

I was in anchorage and its environs in 2011 for six glorious days and loved every minute of it. Can't wait to go back. My longest lens then was a 70-200. We were on a walkway at the eagle nature center and saw a bear about 150 or so yards away. I was really bummed I didn't have a longer lens. Same with eagles. Needed more length there too. We took a glacier cruise and it was wet. As stated, it's a huge rain forest. You'll want rain gear for your person and your gear.
Look forward to your pics.

Apr 02, 2015 at 09:48 PM
JGalicki

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

Thanks again for the feedback here...I don't have any rain gear for my equipment so will definitely purchase some stuff in the meantime. I'll be flying Alaska Airlines for both Nome and Barrow..also have to check and see what their carry on policy is. I was also considering a possible rental of the new 400mm f/4 DO II...wouldn't mind putting it to the test a bit up there and see how it performs.

Apr 03, 2015 at 12:11 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gear Recommendations for Alaska?

This is a bit OT if you are not going for auroras. OTOH, they can be seen any time of year conditions permitting. We just got back from a trip to Fairbanks and I couldn't resist posting a few. I used an old and borrowed 20-35 f2.8L because I figured the f2.8 was better than the edge performance of my 16-35 f4.

I'll add that many people, including me, can't see the green color and few people can see the red. It just looks bright grey. Your camera is your friend for auroras.

Aurora with moon

Apr 03, 2015 at 01:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.