FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

Halasi

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

So I've assisted before on weddings and other shoots, not for anyone big who makes a living off just photography but people who, like me, are trying to "make it".

I thought I might try assisting for a professional to further my knowledge, but I don't want to come off as immature and unprofessional. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how I should construct an email. Do I just pose the question or should I give them a list of my credentials, like a resume?

Keep in mind I'm asking to be an assistant, not a second shooter, so I'm not expecting any shooting.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mar 25, 2015 at 02:27 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

Find someone who's work you like and just be cool about it, send a sincere note, work for free or very little pay to learn the ropes.

Mar 25, 2015 at 02:39 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

Ultimate Guide: How to apply for a job as an assistant or 2nd photographer:

1. Always mention the name of the photographer( I trash all emails without reading if they don't have my name. Means the person writing didn't even bother to read who he/she is applying for)
2. Stroke their ego with at least one line of kind words
3. tell why you want to assist for that photographer(could be point 2)
4. make sure your Facebook account isn't open and full of images of you drinking half naked(you'd be surprised...)
5. use professional email(your name).
6. Say Hello in the beginning of an email(you'd be surprised how many don't)
7. Avoid "dude", "yo", "dig it", "man", unless you know them well.
8. Provide a relevant resume. I could care less about your previous job in IT, McDonalds etc.
9. It helps if you have a website and portfolio.
10. Do NOT send a 10mb PDF with the images you shot! In fact don't attach anything. Many antispam programs send that right to the spam folder.
11.Move on if they don't reply

Mar 25, 2015 at 03:00 PM
Halasi

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

Thank you for the suggestions.

I've only done assisting as my source of income, I only just recently graduated college. The resume would be incredibly short, with just my relevant talents and education listed. Should I still bother with it? Also, since all I've done is assist and go to school, I don't really have my own work to show. Not any relevant work anyways, unfortunately my school's photography program was a fine art program, attempting to turn in anything else resulted in a fail.

I'm probably missing something here but doesn't sending a resume contradict not attaching anything?

Mar 25, 2015 at 04:23 PM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

Halasi wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions.

I've only done assisting as my source of income, I only just recently graduated college. The resume would be incredibly short, with just my relevant talents and education listed. Should I still bother with it? Also, since all I've done is assist and go to school, I don't really have my own work to show. Not any relevant work anyways, unfortunately my school's photography program was a fine art program, attempting to turn in anything else resulted in a fail.

I'm probably missing something here but doesn't sending a resume contradict not attaching anything?

Your resume should be what you've done in this field. School, photoshoots, equipment knowledge,gear used(yes, that matters since Nikon and Canon produce different files so a lot of photographers do care about that), etc.
If it has nothing to do with photography, it should not be on your resume.

Mar 25, 2015 at 06:00 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

If you want to assist, then plan on that. Don't expect to start shooting for the person immediately. If someone was interested in learning and didn't have much gear I'd be fine with that. If you didn't have a lot of work that would be fine as well.

Make sure you sound professional, interesting, and let them know how you can help them. Eager to learn? Run errands, be willing to stand there with a light doing nothing, etc. It took me I think 1-2 engagement sessions plus 1-2 weddings assisting before one guy I worked with really let me shoot anything.

Mar 25, 2015 at 06:42 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

The above plus:

Present yourself as someone who will represent the photographer well when his/her client interacts with you. Even if you're in the background 95% of the time, inevitably you'll need to greet a client, or assist them in some way. One of the greatest concerns in taking on free or inexpensive help is that they will look or act like free or inexpensive help to the client.

An assistant that can step up (and knows when to or not to) and represent the business well has a huge advantage.

Mar 25, 2015 at 06:55 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

DmitriM wrote:
4. make sure your Facebook account isn't open and full of images of you drinking half naked...

Agreed. Drinking only half naked sends the message you aren't all that serious about things or you're too immature to get it right. First impressions are important.

Mar 25, 2015 at 06:58 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

A serious person doesn't drink half naked, they drink all naked.

Mar 25, 2015 at 08:10 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

DmitriM wrote:
If it has nothing to do with photography, it should not be on your resume.

I got in from work, glanced over the boards and replied earlier and off-the-cuff. I've been thinking a bit more about it and while I hold Dmitri in very high esteem (check out his work), I wholeheartedly disagree with his advice above.

1) Yes, these days, it's more and more acceptable (and expected) for resumes to be very focused on the prospective job or opportunity.

2) Nevertheless, employers still want to see a continuous story - gaps in employment history eventually will be questioned and so to omit too much can be counterproductive, even if a complete resume is just citing activity/employment/education that covers the timeline presented.

3) You're a recent graduate so you may be able to somewhat ignore points 1) and 2). But do consider my first reply above and give thought to what experience you may have that will nail that down in the minds of the photographers you approach.

Speaking to young people, recent graduates, students, and so on... it's useful to understand that employers have to discern more about your personality, aptitude, interests, work and personal ethics, reliability, maturity, discipline, ambition, integrity, etc etc etc than they do about your related-field experience – and often, even your formal education.

Some higher education programs mean a lot. Most, not so much. They're a starting point. They mean you were at serious enough to finish college and maybe… maybe have some education that relates to your prospective employer's needs.

Just as often, undergraduate degrees yield folks that think they know what they're doing and expect a nice paycheck. Generally, they don't and shouldn't. More often than not, new graduates are hired based on their potential, not their immediate (or even near-term) value. More employers than you might imagine spend a great deal of the first year of a recent graduate’s employment unteaching erroneous perspectives, bad habits or unwarranted ego based on a diploma.

All that said, if I were the guy you were approaching, yes, of course, I'd be interested in your photography knowledge and experience, but I'd be just as interested in hearing about the customer service issue you solved at McDonalds or how you successfully entertained an important business client of your mom's when she was stuck in traffic getting home or the job you took one summer mowing yards but were made lead on the crew because you consistently showed up on time and your mom insisted you wear a clean shirt everyday (and that you saw and understood that it made a difference - not just in your employer's eyes but in the eyes of their customers as you took badass care of their lawn, brought peace of mind that you were not going to steal the pink flamingo from their yard or traumatize their children).

Do you have good character?

Are you able to and eager to learn (and are you friggin appreciative of that opportunity)?

Are you respectful to all - both those higher and lower than yourself?

Are you appropriately subordinate (i.e. willing to respect what came before you and pay your dues)?

Do you get the concept of customer service?

Do . you . have . and . use . good . judgment?

If so, show them in whatever way you can. At this stage, what you offer... MOST of it will probably not be photography related.

You can be taught photography. As a person and a basic asset - or potential asset, you already are what you are. Show them.

Good luck,

Chuck

P.S. If you’re all that, you’re a treasure. Within a few months decide whether or not your employer is up to your standards. Many won’t be. Don’t waste too much time working for assholes. Find good people who you respect and who respect you. Bust your ass, learn all you can and serve them well. They’re as much a blessing to you as you are to them. But within humble and good judgment, never underestimate the latter.

Mar 25, 2015 at 08:31 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

Personally, I would never bring anyone along who cold-emails me. That might just be personal preference but this job is too personal to bring people whose personalities are unknowns to me.

I'd recommend being active (and cool) on as many photo related forums and groups as you can find. Opportunities will come much more easily from those relationships.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:04 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

Tony Hoffer wrote:
...but this job is too personal to bring people whose personalities are unknowns to me.

The benefit of familiarity and an already established relationship holds great stock and naturally, many prefer that. But in its absence, a great proportion of the world relies on resumes, interviews and trials.

I suppose all three lead to some sense of one's personality.

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I'd recommend being active (and cool) on as many photo related forums and groups as you can find. Opportunities will come much more easily from those relationships.

Agreed. I'd far prefer to plant the seeds and build relationships on forums and have prospective clients recognize my ability, utter charm and come to me rather than having to pound the pavement looking for them.

And God bless Fred, FM is such a poster child for facilitating awareness, familiarity, relationships and professional connections.

In the interim months or years, during which we hope Forum membership and other networking will prove useful, I guess we should perhaps proactively look for work, and submit resumes, and interview with perfect strangers, and hope we understand their needs well enough to make an impression that immediately resonates and sells both our potential and our personality.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:32 PM
Elfraim
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

As someone who assists / 2nds and is always looking for people to work with, This forum gives such a good opportunity to see what the other side is thinking.

Thanks for all the info

Mar 29, 2015 at 09:17 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

Tony Hoffer wrote:
Personally, I would never bring anyone along who cold-emails me. That might just be personal preference but this job is too personal to bring people whose personalities are unknowns to me.

I'd agree with this. If I were using seconds or assistants, I would want those with real first hand experience that I would trust 'on the job'. Not someone looking to learn. That may sound harsh to those wanting to learn, but that's how I feel. There are plenty of learning opportunities if you go after them.

I would also add that any emails I've had from people looking for assistance have been really impersonal and poorly worded - which gives horrible impression to me. I don't think people realise just how difficult it can be to climb up the ladder, and then they shoot you a cold email with spelling mistakes or without using your own name - NO THANK YOU, I'll pass on that wonderful opportunity.

Another point, if you ARE sending out emails and you get a response, good or bad, ALWAYS thank that person for getting back to you. I've offered a tip or two, or the opportunity to speak a number of times, and have had no response, not even a 'thanks'. Whether it's 2015 or not, always be polite and respectful.

So on top of writing well, writing personally, the other thing is selling yourself. Which might be difficult given the position most are in, looking for experience. But don't play yourself down. We all have strengths and weaknesses, if you have something you're great at don't be afraid to put it out there from the get-go. Similarly, try to put yourself in the mind of the photographer you're speaking to, why would you interest him? What can you really do for him, specifically? And why are you better at anyone else than this? Or at least, give him/her a good reason.

Whilst I don't think cold emails are great, if they are personal, and well written, AND offer the opportunity for something else (a call, a coffee), you might get on okay. I've met a couple of people for coffee over the years who have been really great people, 1 of which now has an unrelated business within the industry and we keep in touch.

Mar 29, 2015 at 09:40 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

While there's some good advice here, I don't think they're really addressing the original question. A photographer might want to know everything about you - once they've decided that they're interested - but before that, you need to just get in the door with them. No one wants to read some long email from a stranger trying to pitch themselves for a job.

I think the first thing you should do is write a short, to-the-point email introducing yourself as a new photographer looking to assist. Tell them why you like their work, why you want to work for them, and that you're happy to do anything to help out, like just carry bags. Don't make the email sound desperate or generic, and wait for a response to start elaborating about your skills and experience. That's what I'd do.

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:41 AM
Halasi

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

What do you guys think of something like this:

Dear _________,

Hello, my name is ___________. I was wondering if there any chance that you needed assistant what with wedding season coming up. I have followed your work for awhile now and would love a chance to work for you. I have assisted on weddings before and can provide references. I also have a BFA in photography from _____________. My gear is Nikon but I have thorough knowledge of Canon gear too. I can provide a full resume if need be.

Thank you for you consideration.

Sincerely,

Professional enough?

Apr 01, 2015 at 07:37 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

Show me your work. Show me your personality. The rest I don't care about.

Nikon/Canon, don't care
Education, don't care
Experience, don't care
Followed my work, don't care

Apr 01, 2015 at 07:54 AM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

My advice and opinion is that no matter what career/job you're talking about, ultimately the most important skill you'll grow is your "people skill." Whether you're talking about photographers, truck drivers, chefs, or janitors, ultimately moving up in your field involves people.

Are you planning on sending emails to complete strangers? If so I think choosing a particular approach and sticking with it is a crap shoot. Just by the text in this thread, if you sent the same complete resume to DmitriM, Tony, and nolaguy, DmitriM wouldn't care about most of it, Tony would ask himself if he's supposed to know you, and nolaguy might try to make an unbiased analysis of some sort. I think the worst thing you could do is use a single template, send it out to anyone, and cross your fingers.

In lieu of spending the time to build a relationship, I think the best you can do is learn about the person you're applying with. This isn't just studying their work and telling them you like it; read their blog and other public postings and use that to imagine the person in real life. Is this guy old school, looking for formal training and a list of references? Or this this the guy sitting at the pub with a camera telling stories to anyone who will listen? The former might prefer a formal resume, the latter may prefer a funny anecdote from the last wedding you assisted at.

I don't think a one-size-fits-all solution is going to serve you best.

Apr 01, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

Tony Hoffer wrote:

I totally agree with this...we get plenty of cold emails and they all feel the same. If I get a FredMiranda PM, I'll read it and will be inclined to help (because this community has given me so much).

ZachOly wrote:
Show me your work. Show me your personality. The rest I don't care about.

Yeah I'm not at all interested in a typed resume. I would only be interested in website/bio. If you don't have your own domain, a flickr account or whatever is fine. Also, I think you're much more likely to get experience if you offer to work the first day for free.

With all that said, my wife and I shoot weddings together and we don't really have a need for a 3rd person/assistant. If we ran a studio or something then I'm sure assistants would be much more helpful.

Apr 01, 2015 at 01:12 PM
fstopperdown
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How to pen an email to be an assistant

Emails are too easy to ignore.

This was circa 2006... before FB, but I cold called a photographer near my house with prints and a disk in hand.

I had some sports/news newspaper experience. I was a business owner, mid 30's, decently dressed.

Don't wait to be knighted. With FB, there are plenty of avenues to gain exposure and build a brand. Photographers are always stalking one another.

Find a FB group, make some friends, and in time good things will happen if you aren't a flake.

Apr 01, 2015 at 02:50 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.