New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

Steven Campbel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

I'm heading to Dublin, Ireland this summer for a week. Just a relaxing trip and just staying in Dublin. I am going to take some gear of course but hope to travel light. I'll be taking a small travel tripod and ball head. I hope to fit it all in a shoulder bag that is good for a body and standard zoom and two other lenses max. Here is what I'm considering:

5D III - This will be the only body I take. I have a 7D as back up but will probably leave it home and take my chances.

Canon 24-70 2.8 II - Not small or light but a good general zoom that is going to deliver quality shots, with the 2.8 speed. I sold my 24-105, so that's out.

Canon 24 3.5 Tilt Shift II - Not a genaral purpose lens, heavy, bulky etc. However, I hope to shoot some nice buildings etc. and for that this lens is hard to beat. I'm debating taking it but I know when I do use it I'm going to get the best shot possible. Any feedback here?

Canon 17-40 - Small, light, cheap. I know I can leave this or the 24-70 home and get by. Another tough call, but the wide angle may come in handy.

Canon 28 2.8 IS - This is coming. Small, light and excellent for indoor use or general walking around. I used it a good bit in France and Belgium last year.

I also have a Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II. Great lens but it's a brick. I really think this won't earn it's weight in the bag.

Any feedback would be great. I'm sure the arcitecture over there will be great, so what should I do? Also looking to have as little on me as possible for theft and security reasons, although getting the best shots will override this.

Mar 25, 2015 at 06:21 AM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

If you are staying at a safe place, I would take a bunch of gear and leave the house with what I need for the day/time

What would you shoot with the 17-40 that doesn't overlap with the 24 TS? or the 28mm?

I would either drop the 28mm or the 17-40 or both as long as you are taking the 24-70

17mm is wide, but you can stitch the 24 TS and 24mm is pretty wide to begin with.

I would just take the 24-70, 24 TS if I were you.

Out of my gear I would take a 14mm, 40mm pancake, 80-200L with two bodies and a tripod

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:38 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

kabraxcis wrote:
If you are staying at a safe place, I would take a bunch of gear and leave the house with what I need for the day/time

What would you shoot with the 17-40 that doesn't overlap with the 24 TS? or the 28mm?

I would either drop the 28mm or the 17-40 or both as long as you are taking the 24-70

17mm is wide, but you can stitch the 24 TS and 24mm is pretty wide to begin with.

I would just take the 24-70, 24 TS if I were you.

Out of my gear I would take a 14mm, 40mm pancake, 80-200L with
...Show more

That's what I am thinking. Just the 24 TSE and 24-70, along with the 28mm. The 28 is so small and light it hardly takes up any space, and for handheld shots indoors, such as museums or a brewery tour it's hard to beat as it can be handheld down to some pretty slow shutter speeds. I think the hotel I'm staying in should be safe, but the less gear taken the less risk you have.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:58 AM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

Bring your 24-70, 24 TSE, and pick up a Bower / Rok / Sam 14mm F2.8 for 269 roughly to really round out your wide angle to its max. I didn't spend too much time in Dublin when I was there, but on the West Coast of Ireland, my main lenses were the 24-105, and 14mm F2.8

Mar 27, 2015 at 06:25 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

That's a lens I will look into. Not sure what they go for in Canada. Thanks!

Mar 30, 2015 at 06:09 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

Is this the one? Looks more expensive here in Canada. (of course) $527

http://www.adencamera.com/product-overviewer.asp?ProdID=4995&Category=7

Also found this one at Henry's for less. It's branded as Bower. Same lens?

http://www.henrys.com/66303-BOWER-14MM-F2-8-WIDE-ANGLE-LENS-CANON.aspx

Mar 30, 2015 at 06:15 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II. Great lens but it's a brick.

People so often get this lens and then fail to use it. You should have got the f4 version. I'd leave the 24 TSE behind and probably also the 17-40mm, but then I don't generally understand peoples' obsessions with ultra-wides.

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:43 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

Robin Smith wrote:
People so often get this lens and then fail to use it. You should have got the f4 version. I'd leave the 24 TSE behind and probably also the 17-40mm, but then I don't generally understand peoples' obsessions with ultra-wides.

I use it a good deal. It's my go to lens when I'm hiking the area around our harbour for shooting ships coming and going. It's the lens for that. I also use it for lanscape shots and it's always in my bag when I travel the highways in case I see wildlife such as moose. I want the 24 TSE as it's a great arcitecture lens.

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:37 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

Yes, sure, but of course you could take all those things with the f4 too and not feel that you have to leave it at home. I don't really see the point of taking a 24mm TSE unless your primary aim is to take shifted and tilted pics - you said you are travelling light. Are you really going to be lugging your tripod around Dublin and taking shifted and tilted shots in the streets with people milling about you? If so then I guess you will need it. Personally I would just make a 24mm shot work using the zoom.

Apr 01, 2015 at 03:08 PM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

You make some good points. I am taking a light travel tripod, but the 24 TSE is heavy. If there are people around, you're right, I couldn't be bothered. I was hoping I could find some quiet out of the way spots with older buildings, landscapes etc.

Apr 02, 2015 at 08:35 AM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

I just got a Fuji X100T and brought it on a 1-month trip along with a 5DIII; still getting used to the Fuji, but it is nice to have a small camera option; I got a bunch of shots I might have missed if I only had a bulky SLR rig.

Do you use lights at all in your photography? If it were me, I'd toss in a speedlite or two and a Lumiquest SB III, but maybe that's not your cup of tea.

Have fun

Apr 02, 2015 at 04:44 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

take plenty of advil/aspirin with you

Apr 03, 2015 at 07:41 AM
Edward Rotberg
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

timbop wrote:
take plenty of advil/aspirin with you

Really good advice there if you plan on visiting pubs much!

= Ed =

Apr 03, 2015 at 10:31 AM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

I live in Dublin, I keep using the 70-200 for landscape.

The 24-70 will be ideal but I would rather get the 28 or a 35mm

Apr 03, 2015 at 04:58 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

Edward Rotberg wrote:
Really good advice there if you plan on visiting pubs much!

= Ed =

exactly!

Apr 04, 2015 at 06:51 AM
Steven Campbel
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dublin Trip-What to Take

Thanks guys! Yes, pubs are going to be a large part of the trip!

Apr 07, 2015 at 06:24 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.