New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Sheridan

David-D
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sheridan

My last post was about doing a shoot with Laura-Jane, while I was doing a shoot with Laura-Jane on another shoot, she asked me if I mind taking a few shots of her younger sister Sheridan and I agreed.

Below is a photo of Sheridan:

I am hoping I can do more shoots with her in the future.
Thanks for viewing and all comments are welcome

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:27 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sheridan

Really beautiful all around!

John Caldwell

Mar 25, 2015 at 04:23 AM
Disaster
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sheridan

Pretty girl. Did you use a tilt shift to blur the lower part?

Mar 25, 2015 at 05:19 AM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sheridan

Disaster wrote:
Pretty girl. Did you use a tilt shift to blur the lower part?

No, I use a Canon 85mm f1.2 and shot at f1.2

Mar 25, 2015 at 07:10 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sheridan

Nice shot.
love the 85mm F1. 2 and shot at 1.2.
The bokeh like no other.

Mar 25, 2015 at 12:21 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sheridan

Gud day mate! Lovely lady!! Brilliant eyes...Australian?...The watermark is distracting though..takes the focus off this beautiful lady!
Dan

Mar 25, 2015 at 02:50 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sheridan

A bit too much sharpening on they eyes. It doesn't look natural.

Mar 25, 2015 at 04:21 PM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sheridan

Andre Labonte wrote:
A bit too much sharpening on they eyes. It doesn't look natural.

Thank for the comment, you are probably right. Here is the zoomed in version:

Wondering if my resize (to smaller size for web purpose) action maybe has something to do with it.

Mar 26, 2015 at 08:23 AM
howardF
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sheridan

Beautiful photo.

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:13 AM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sheridan

Erm, the highlight in the right eye seems to show 5 light sources?

blinky

Mar 30, 2015 at 02:01 AM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sheridan

KCook0 wrote:
Erm, the highlight in the right eye seems to show 5 light sources?

blinky

... no... just a window with me in the middle

Mar 30, 2015 at 02:26 AM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sheridan

David-D wrote:
... no... just a window with me in the middle

Oh c**p, now I have to throw all of my lights in the river

Mar 30, 2015 at 09:58 AM
Disaster
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sheridan

David-D wrote:
Thank for the comment, you are probably right. Here is the zoomed in version:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fC5CIJZVupU/VRQHmsPn_II/AAAAAAAAOSY/yMhtZ741-VQ/w641-h650-no/1061-eyes-web.jpg

Wondering if my resize (to smaller size for web purpose) action maybe has something to do with it.

This might be a small thing that many people don't even notice. This model is beautiful however she has quite a bit of asymmetry to her eye height. This is more noticeable on a straight on shot like this. Posing the model with a slight head tilt can disguise this nicely. I've noticed even tilting the head in the direction of raising the higher eye helps because then there is the expectation of it being higher along with the reality.

This is not uncommon but is something we can shoot to deemphasize, just like shooting people not straight on helps deemphasize an overall lack of symmetry in the face.

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:22 PM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sheridan

Disaster wrote:
This might be a small thing that many people don't even notice. This model is beautiful however she has quite a bit of asymmetry to her eye height. This is more noticeable on a straight on shot like this. Posing the model with a slight head tilt can disguise this nicely. I've noticed even tilting the head in the direction of raising the higher eye helps because then there is the expectation of it being higher along with the reality.

This is not uncommon but is something we can shoot to deemphasize, just like shooting people not straight on helps
...Show more
Thank you very much. That is a great tip. I am wondering apart from Photoshopping, if there is any other way if you really want to shoot a shot with the model's face dead centered and straight?

Mar 30, 2015 at 03:56 PM
Disaster
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sheridan

David-D wrote:
Thank you very much. That is a great tip. I am wondering apart from Photoshopping, if there is any other way if you really want to shoot a shot with the model's face dead centered and straight?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-VGfNIuM8c_4/VRm3ilsvmLI/AAAAAAAAOVU/nCXKxUyO0P0/w472-h708-no/0780-web.jpg

I think it depends on the purpose of the photography.

If we are trying to photograph a particular person...if we are trying to capture who that person is...I think it is wrong to Photoshop their features. It no longer is them. It is OK to choose light and pose to not emphasize the "bad" stuff though. That is one of the things that distinguishes a great portrait photographer from a mediocre one.

If we are doing a fashion or model shoot where it isn't about the particular model but instead about creating "beauty" or showing off a product, all bets are off.

Many models have near perfect symmetry and classic feature geometry. It is one of the reasons they are models. It makes them way more versatile and in demand. But, IMHO, it makes them less interesting for portraiture.

One fun thing to do is to plug people who are considered by almost everyone to be very attractive into Portrait Professional and watch how it decides to morph their face to make them more classically beautiful. It is very educational.

Thank goodness people come in all types of shapes and sizes.

Mar 30, 2015 at 05:10 PM
David-D
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sheridan

Disaster wrote:
I think it depends on the purpose of the photography.

If we are trying to photograph a particular person...if we are trying to capture who that person is...I think it is wrong to Photoshop their features. It no longer is them. It is OK to choose light and pose to not emphasize the "bad" stuff though. That is one of the things that distinguishes a great portrait photographer from a mediocre one.

If we are doing a fashion or model shoot where it isn't about the particular model but instead about creating "beauty" or showing off a product, all bets are
...Show more

Good points. True or we will look the same , pretty boring

Mar 30, 2015 at 07:16 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sheridan

One fun thing to do is to plug people who are considered by almost everyone to be very attractive into Portrait Professional

Does anybody actually use this software??

Mar 31, 2015 at 01:29 AM
Disaster
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sheridan

Steve Wylie wrote:
Does anybody actually use this software??

I personally know of one photographer who does and loves it. The company obviously makes enough money to stay in business. I'm embarrassed to say I bought it back when I had less confidence in my Photoshop skills. I turned the face morphing stuff off but used the other features (skin smoothing, iris color tweaking, local sharpening.) It actually wouldn't be terrible as a quick shortcut for glamour photos if it weren't that you can't turn some features off completely and what they do is actually more apparent and ugly on the lowest settings (skin smoothing being one of them.)

Mar 31, 2015 at 04:48 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sheridan

If the younger sister is this attractive, I can imagine what the model Laura-Jane must look like.

Apr 01, 2015 at 05:52 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sheridan

DaveOls wrote:
If the younger sister is this attractive, I can imagine what the model Laura-Jane must look like.

Apr 02, 2015 at 07:56 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.