Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Frozen in Ice

Tuan Le
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Frozen in Ice

Amazing details Matt and I like all the crop variations you managed to scrape off the one image.

Mar 26, 2015 at 08:34 AM
ferrerfoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Frozen in Ice

Absolutely amazing! Nice job!!!

Mar 26, 2015 at 09:50 AM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Frozen in Ice

Fast6 wrote:
Awesome color and details. Man, that's a lot of images to be smashing together

I think I like #2 best.

All your focus stacking has made it hard for me to tell that the leaf is even encapsulated! Do you have any versions that make its depth apparent?

I have lots of versions that have a soft blurry surface, and the lower leaf detailed. And your right, the stacking does take away from the perceived depth. I was debating on keeping the depth, or going after the extreme details that existed ( and keeping the sunbursts ). The blurry surface didn't have the specular sunbursts, which completely enamored me when I saw them. So I decided to go for the extreme detail inclusion, which had the sunbursts. To me, they look like stars in a galaxy. I could totally see a different version that embraced more of the depth that existed.

---------------------------------------------

JimFox wrote:
Hey Matt,

#1 and 3 are my favorites here. A very nice scene, but one I am having a hard time understanding why you bracketed 3 shots? You are using a D800E, I can't see why you needed 3 shots brackets in 2 stop increments, especially not in a scene like this. It's not like you are shooting with a camera that is lacking in DR.

Jim

---------------------------------------------

aFeinberg wrote:
Crazy awesome. But with the d800 why so much bracketing...feel like this could have easily been 1 shot? Love this man. Great.

aF

Jim/ aF The light-bright 1/4 tones ( zone 7,8,9 ) had very little detail under a normal exposure. The -2 exposure brought back the detail in those highlights. I could have gotten away with a normal exposure and a -2. ( and not using the +2 ) But, what I find when fusing exposures, is a certain amount of "luminosity" is created during the fusion of the tonal values. I don't want to say the "HDR Glow" but in essence, that whats happening, but I make sure the natural tone mapping is exactly that, natural with a hint of luminosity added during the tone mapping process. As for the depth of field, at f/16 on a fullframe 60mm, at the closest distance ( which I was ) the DOF is still paper thin ( approximately 1/4inch or so with some tapering ) So I basically focus on the nearest element, and work my way away with subtle turns in the focus, till I reach the far point. This happen to be 12 or so increments.

To summarize, oh sure, I could have taken one shot, focused on the leaf, underexposed. But I would have lost a great amount of detail and the cool sunbursts, as well as the subtle tonality in the highlights, and, added a stop or two of noise overall to the image. I'm a bit of an overdoer in everything I do, so I'm not sure my personality would let me take just one shot lol.

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment everyone, I really appreciate it!

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:16 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Frozen in Ice

Matt Anderson wrote:
I have lots of versions that have a soft blurry surface, and the lower leaf detailed. And your right, the stacking does take away from the perceived depth. I was debating on keeping the depth, or going after the extreme details that existed ( and keeping the sunbursts ). The blurry surface didn't have the specular sunbursts, which completely enamored me when I saw them. So I decided to go for the extreme detail inclusion, which had the sunbursts. To me, they look like stars in a galaxy. I could totally see a different version that embraced more of
...Show more

Matt, thanks for your response! The galaxy look is indeed pretty awesome. Stunning work no matter which creative path you pick.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:35 AM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Frozen in Ice

Lovely series with 2 being my favourite.

Ute

Mar 28, 2015 at 01:18 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Frozen in Ice

These are crazy good with tremendous details.
Harsha

Apr 05, 2015 at 08:37 AM
cmplaya
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Frozen in Ice

great shot

Apr 05, 2015 at 09:09 AM
jeffstasney

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Frozen in Ice

I remember these couple of days in Milwaukee last month looking at the snow melted and refrozen with a glassy finish. I knew there must be something interesting to shoot out there. Looks like you found it. Very nice Matt!

Apr 05, 2015 at 09:37 AM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.