Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

Birdchsr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

We have started planning for a trip to Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

Our primary goals are scenic pictures, birds, wildlife and having a nice relaxing time.

At Niagara, I'm thinking Embassy Suites on the Canada side. We've never been to either place, I'm thinking pictures of waterfalls are in order, I have looked up some preliminary targets around Ithaca and Watkins Glen.

Are any of you around the area, or have been there and have some suggestions?

Think of this as a new camera outing. :-)

Mar 23, 2015 at 08:28 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

Passports ready, right?

Mar 23, 2015 at 09:30 PM
Birdchsr

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

Passports are not an issue.

Mar 24, 2015 at 05:32 AM
fotobandi

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

Love that part of NY. I would try and take some of the N/S routes along the Finger Lakes, through Geneva, or Aurora, along Keuka Lake, too. Watkins Glen Gorge is a "must" as are the various Falls near Ithaca. Be sure to stop at a Wegman's or two for me. :-)

The Aurora Inn in...Aurora is spectacular. Pricey but unforgettable. The whole town is very picturesque. Roads along the old Erie Canal offer birding views, Seneca Falls is historic, and as for Buffalo, the Anchor bar is the original birthplace of the Buffalo Wing!

Enjoy.

Mar 25, 2015 at 05:39 PM
Wilbur Su

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

There is a butterfly conservatory if that interests you:

http://www.niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-attractions/butterfly-conservatory.html

Mar 25, 2015 at 06:42 PM
Birdchsr

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

Thanks for the suggestions. Falls of any kind are some of my favorite targets. I figured visiting the Cornell Lab of Ornithology might be interesting. I've read the campus is pretty awesome.

Yes, birding is on my mind, but we like to sight see a lot too and take in local history. I've always heard the finger lakes area is beautiful.

Anything with butterflies is great. I'll be sure to pack the 105 for some up close and personal shots.

I'm thinking we are going to stay at Niagara for a couple days before heading toward the Ithica area, we'll not be in any hurry because we've got about 10 days total before we have to be home.

I'll be packing the new body, + 20mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8 vr, 150-600 5.6-6.3, 105 2.8 vr. I thought about renting a 14mm or a 16-35mm.

The nice part of a trip like this, we're only 10hrs from home. So packing a little more isn't an issue.

Mar 27, 2015 at 02:51 PM
abh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

Birdchsr wrote:
We have started planning for a trip to Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

Hopefully, most of the snow will be melted by then. But seriously, with the amount of snow this winter, hopefully you'll still have a decent amount of water for all those beautiful waterfalls in early June. I visited in September a few years ago after a dry summer, and one of the best (well, highest anyway) waterfalls in Ithaca -- Taughannock -- was little more than a trickle. Don't miss Watkins Glen, and if you have the opportunity, a visit to the Corning Glass Museum is worthwhile. Lots of photo opportunities on the Cornell campus, too. There's an old covered bridge not far from Ithaca, if that interests you. And Cooperstown -- Baseball Hall of Fame -- is in that general part of the world.

Some of my mediocre results from visit: http://www.SkylandsPhotography.com/g/nystate_sept07]Upstate NY trip[/url]

Good luck!

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:21 AM
Ken Robb

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

If you go to Watkins Glen, park in the upper lot and save $8.00. It's only a short walk to the main trail. If you start at the bottom there are over 800 steps to the top of the gorge. My youngest counted them several years ago.

Ken

Mar 30, 2015 at 01:08 PM
Monkey Falls
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

Some other things to consider other than photography are places to eat. In Ithaca, I highly recommend Agava. Between Ithaca and Watkins Glen on route 79 is Smok'n Bones with excellent food but always slow service, in Burdett. In Corning, a new bar called Hand and Foot has excellent food and a nice atmosphere. It's on Market Street in the "Gaffer District" of Corning. In Hammondsport, at the base of Keuka Lake, is the Village Tavern. It has great food and features many of the local breweries on tap. My favorite is Crying Loon Ale from Brewery of Broken Dreams. And finally, in Geneva, the Ports Cafe is excellent. Reservations are required and you should plan on 2 hours for dinner. It's worth it.

Apr 18, 2015 at 05:10 AM
Anurag
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

When I went last, we stayed at the Oakes Hotel overlooking the falls. Reasonably decent room. I requested the 19th floor and I don't think there is a better view of the falls on the canadian side (if that is where you decide to stay). They have breakfast places within walking distance. Night time photography from the room is a treat once the lights start going. Niagara on the Falls is a quaint little town which is absolutely gorgeous to visit during the summer - flowers all over the place. We went in March when it was still snowing but got the entire town to ourselves. Didn't have to fight anyone for a spot. No waits. We spent an entire day walking through the town enjoying the scenery and going into random stores on the streets.

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:15 PM
flyfisher77

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

If you have the time Letchworth stat park is very nice it has a couple of falls that pretty easy to get to it's also a small canyon. There a to many falls in the Ithaca area to mention a couple of searches on the web will list them all.

Apr 19, 2015 at 07:15 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel is beautiful. Many B and B's in the Ithaca region, all with different character.
Consider stopping at (a number) of vineyards for wine tastings and perhaps some landscape shots across a finger lake. If you want to do a different tourist thing, but still with camera, Experience the Finger Lakes is a great company that tours vineyards + food. Shots of the lakes, vineyards, distilling equipment. Laura Falk runs it and is wonderful, as are all of her employees. We have done two one day tours and will again.
for something different, Buffalo Psychiatric Hospital aka Richardson Complex in Buffalo is a huge campus of disturbing gothic architecture. Erie County Botanical Museum is great, although most is indoors, grounds are also pretty.

Oh, and if it is Duff's vs Anchor Bar, its Duffs for wings!

Scott

May 05, 2015 at 07:47 PM
Ccugolf
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

Niagara parks department near whirlpool golf course typically does some neat flower arrangements

Skyline tower or the large Ferris wheel are sone places to stop if you have time and are not afraid of heights. These will give a different perspective on Niagara Falls

Good luck

Have fun

May 05, 2015 at 08:17 PM
fotobandi

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

sbeme wrote:
Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel is beautiful. Many B and B's in the Ithaca region, all with different character.
Consider stopping at (a number) of vineyards for wine tastings and perhaps some landscape shots across a finger lake. If you want to do a different tourist thing, but still with camera, Experience the Finger Lakes is a great company that tours vineyards + food. Shots of the lakes, vineyards, distilling equipment. Laura Falk runs it and is wonderful, as are all of her employees. We have done two one day tours and will again.
for something different, Buffalo Psychiatric Hospital aka Richardson Complex
...Show more

Anchor or Duffs? Now you are starting a real argument. !

May 06, 2015 at 02:13 PM
fotobandi

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Trip planning for Niagara falls and Ithaca, NY 2nd week of June.

We took a boat tour of Keuka Lake, really nice. Then went to Konstantin Frank vineyards, excellent. Of interest as well are the towns of Geneva, Seneca Falls, Auburn, etc. along Rte 20. And have to say again, the tiny hamlet of Aurora and The Aurora Inn. Amazing!

May 06, 2015 at 02:16 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.