Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

Game Changer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

In shocking news, legendary lighting manufacturer Paul C. Buff has died. According to his website:

With great sadness we announce that our founder, Paul C. Buff, passed away this week at the age of 78. He has been living with his beloved wife of 16 years, Deborah, and their extended family in their secondary home in Mobile, Alabama for over a year and passed away in this home with his family around him. Those of us who have had the pleasure of knowing and working with Paul have lost an invaluable mentor, an inspiring leader, and a treasured friend. The world has lost one of its most creative and adventurous pioneers.

Though known more here in the United States due to his products not shipping easily worldwide, Paul C. Buff’s products are a mainstay. The original Alien Bees monobloc strobes changed the industry, offering power and short flash durations in a very affordable package. Recent innovations like the Einstein strobe and the Vagabond have become ubiquitous items found in nearly every photographer’s arsenal.

Paul was known for an absolute tenacity to do what he believed to be the best decision, and that led to quite a bit of innovation in lighting. Though many disagreed with his policies, he still managed to build a lighting empire and that is something no one will argue with. Paul will be missed.

http://resourcemagonline.com/2015/03/legendary-lighting-industry-manufacturer-paul-c-buff-has-died-at-age-78/49946/

Mar 23, 2015 at 05:37 PM
a2rob
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

RIP and thank you for such awesome products throughout the years......

Mar 23, 2015 at 06:04 PM
bigfredtn
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

RIP Mr. Buff. I will flash my AB in your memory tonight.

Mar 23, 2015 at 06:10 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

RIP and thank you for your non-stopping innovations as well as your exemplary customer service.

Mar 23, 2015 at 06:23 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

A monumental loss. Tears.

Mar 23, 2015 at 06:34 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

What a shame, all my best wishes to his family, and my thanks to him for producing what is without a doubt the best affordable lighting equipment. I can only hope that his legacy lives on and his inventions will continue to be sold and used to create work as brilliant as he.

Mar 23, 2015 at 06:34 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

Sorry to hear this. I hope his legacy lives on strongly through the brand of lights he so passionately created.

Mar 23, 2015 at 06:54 PM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

Rest In Peace Mr Buff.

I just bought the 47" octabox w/ grid from them earlier this morning.

Mar 23, 2015 at 08:23 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

So sad, he was a legend in his own right. Glad to count myself as a long time Paul C, Buff customer.

Rest in peace.

Mar 23, 2015 at 08:41 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

This is the guy who got me into flash photography as much as O.W. Link did. Both were geniuses.

Kent in SD

D&I Railroad at Hawarden, IA

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:12 PM
Grend

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

Deeply saddened at this news. My heartfelt sympathies to his family and friends.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:26 PM
Egor
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

Wow, just heard the news. Really odd dude, as anyone who has ever tried to read his technical manuals can attest ...but man, the guy knew how to make great affordable professional lighting gear!

Very sad, but the man will be remembered by many thousands, millions I suspect...and he lived a long and obviously full life!

I started using his gear in the 80's with the UltraZaps, thru the 90's with the Ultras, and today with both AlienBees and X-Series and Einsteins...they allowed me to build a successful studio biz without breaking the bank!

RIP, Mr Buff. You have made my dreams of photography come true!

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:53 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

Last pair of posts on FM just a month ago: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1291272/0#12884810

Mar 24, 2015 at 02:39 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

RIP , you will be missed.

Mar 24, 2015 at 06:00 AM
Lloyd Grace

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

I have been a fan of Paul's and a purchaser of his products since the Valley People Gain Brain/Kepex (1980) audio days to my Alien Bees, PLM's, and countless modifiers and accessories today. He was doing the same thing in the Pro Audio industry in the 70's & 80's as he was in the Photo business now. It is extremely sad to see one of the last of that breed leave us. His innovation, marketing and customer service philosophies aren't shared by many in this day and age. He will be sorely missed. I hope there is someone at Buff to continue his work.

Mar 24, 2015 at 01:05 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

Hopefully PCB Inc can continue the innovation. Working in pro photo retail in the 90s, the store was a big seller of Photogenic monolights and the distributor's sales rep was fond of slagging Buff's White Lightnings. ~10 years later with my collection of aging Powerlight 600s literally going up in smoke, I reassessed my unfounded bias against Buff products and bought a bunch of AlienBees... A definite improvement over the Powerlights. I'd be all set with Einsteins now if they'd only come out a couple years earlier and weren't delayed as they were (instead I supplemented the ABs with Elinchrom Quadra kits).

Now about six years later, it's interesting to see what some of the Chinese brands are offering... Monolights with internal batteries, Quadra clones... definitely seems much better than just a few years ago, even if some of the specs fall just shy of ideal. I suspect it will only be a matter of time and that it will cause stiff competition for PCB Inc. As stated, I hope they're able to continue innovating.

Mar 25, 2015 at 03:06 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

Like many others I hope his filosofies live on.

Mar 25, 2015 at 07:52 AM
diamondsdr47
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

RIP Mr.Buff
I hope and wish his legacy continues.

Mar 25, 2015 at 03:00 PM
amplexis
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

My gratitude for all he gave us. May someone continue to be driven to design and make uncompromised tools that humble artists can afford and use.

Mar 27, 2015 at 08:07 AM
Wareseeker
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Legendary Lighting Industry Manufacturer Paul C. Buff Has Died at Age 78

RIP Mr Buff. You will be missed. We love you and your products!

Mar 29, 2015 at 01:17 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.