Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · HELP - Lens foot on 800mm!

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HELP - Lens foot on 800mm!

Guys - really in a panic here. I've got on loan from CPS the 800 which I need to use for a crane shoot. But the plate (a longer one) I rented from lens rentals doesn't seem to work. The screw openings on the 800 are two different sizes. Is that normal? Is there a special plate I need for this lens? I've never used it and am stressed so you can wag your fingers at me privately or later, when I've got this sorted. CPS is giving me the 800 number which gets me to NO ONE, and lens rentals is helping, but I think it's the lens foot that is the issue, and I just didn't know to ask for a different plate.

In panic and thanks,
Sharon

EDIT: I've got this sorted, but will leave it here for anyone else who may not realize that the threads are different sizes on these lens feet. I have been told I can get by with the one screw as long as it's very tight. I really am not the type to complain or rant but I really don't understand why Canon will send you a $12,000 lens to try but not just attach a lens plate. Unless that is the idea.... hmmmm... Drop the lens and payola?

And BTW: Kudos to the Lens Rentals folks again. They gave me the info I needed and just so you know if you rent these long lenses from them, they INCLUDE the bushings needed for the second plate screw.

Mar 23, 2015 at 03:54 PM
riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HELP - Lens foot on 800mm!

2 holes: 1 standard 1/4 inch, 1 big one 3/8" which can take a reducer 3/8 to 1/4" I have bought quite a few of the reducers which comes in handy in a situation like this or if you have a ball head that takes 3/8" and your tripod screw is 1/4".

They are about $1 each from b&h.

Good luck

Mar 23, 2015 at 06:48 PM
kabraxcis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HELP - Lens foot on 800mm!

to be fair, Canon did lend you the LENS

but not letting you know of this could be seen as overlooking an important fact.

then again, they might assume you do the research before renting

like, nobody really teaches you where the gas tank open-button is when you rent a car, they sort of expect you to find it yourself unless you ask them

Mar 23, 2015 at 06:57 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HELP - Lens foot on 800mm!

Sharon, I understand the predicament you've found yourself in, but all's well that ends well. Your experience illustrates the fundamental inadequacy of the Canon's long lens design where they persist with their type of pod mount feet which is obsolete and largely useless. Haven't they heard of the Arca-Swiss QR system ? Can they be that obtuse or insensitive to their customers' needs ? Yes, apparently so.

Mar 24, 2015 at 05:31 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HELP - Lens foot on 800mm!

Pogi's correct. Sigma even offers a Arca-Swiss foot for a fee.

Mar 24, 2015 at 09:34 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.