New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Looking for input on a website idea for photographers

.matt.

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for input on a website idea for photographers

Hey everyone, I've been visiting this forum for a long time and constantly find it as a great source for inspiration even though I haven't posted in a long time. I've never really gotten far into pro photography mostly because I've found it pretty hard to break into the scene and to find clients but that inspired me to make a website that would make it easier to find gigs locally.

The idea is you can create a profile with some sample images, connect to other photographers by favoriting and commenting, see metrics on how often your profile/ images are viewed and the kicker, you can see gig postings in your local area and reply to them. I haven't fully thought through how the process would work but I want to keep it as simple as possible and keep all payment outside of the site but it will be high quality design-wise, look nice on mobile and be catered to photographers. I wanted to post here and see A) is this something you would want to use? and B) what features would you want for a site like this? Thanks in advance for any input you might have.

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:15 PM
obscure

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for input on a website idea for photographers

.matt. wrote:
I've never really gotten far into pro photography mostly because I've found it pretty hard to break into the scene and to find clients but that inspired me to make a website that would make it easier to find gigs locally.

The idea is you can create a profile with some sample images, connect to other photographers by favoriting and commenting, see metrics on how often your profile/ images are viewed and the kicker, you can see gig postings in your local area and reply to them.

1. If you are having difficulty finding clients then that is a marketing issue and you should really address that by learning about marketing. There are plenty of photographers out there who are finding clients and they haven't all built a website like the one you describe.
2. Other photographers are your competition. Sure some of them may need a second shooter occasionally but providing a place for them to post those gigs wont really solve the underlying problem. In fact you can do just as well in that regard by setting up a Facebook group for local pros. We have one in my city where pros post such things.

Mar 24, 2015 at 08:46 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for input on a website idea for photographers

Think that is covered by using Facebook Groups as already mentioned. Of course to make money in there you would need to sell to beginners who all are wondering why after buying a $3000.00 camera they don't take amazing images.

As for connecting with other photographers I can't see them handing over business. Still don't understand who would post for jobs. Most prefer to research and contact those who catch their attention.

You already have paid sites where people post jobs and you can pay to place a bid. I stay away from them. Focused on the lower priced crowd. Not clients I am looking for.

Mar 24, 2015 at 05:36 PM
.matt.

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for input on a website idea for photographers

Thanks for the feedback, It's definitely good to hear solid points about the usefulness of a site like this. I guess it seemed like a better idea in my head than it would be in practice.

Mar 25, 2015 at 01:08 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.