New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · looking to buy monitor

Alexluu627
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · looking to buy monitor

Hey guys I am looking into buying a apple cinema display 27" and was wondering if I should just wait because they might make a 5k display like the imac 5k they released early this year.

Mar 23, 2015 at 05:18 AM
roosteresque
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · looking to buy monitor

Apple will release a 5k display at some point. The issue is that there isn't enough bandwidth with the current Mac lineup to drive a 5k display. There are 5k displays available from other companies but require dual link connectors and fairly powerful video hardware. When Apple does make available a stand alone 5k display updated machines would be released along side it to be able to output 5k resolution. And they would probably like it to be a single connector for simplicity. 5k@60Hz seems to be too much for Thunderbolt 2.

Mar 23, 2015 at 08:44 AM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · looking to buy monitor

So do you think i should just wait?

Mar 24, 2015 at 01:35 AM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · looking to buy monitor

No currently produced Mac will be able to drive a 5K display unless Apple does some crazy stuff to get it to work... And even then the ONLY machine that could even conceptually drive a 5K display is the new Mac Pro. 5K is going to require two Thunderbolt 2 buses (if it even uses Thunderbolt) and nothing but the Mac Pro has more than one.

So, unless you're going to replace your computer too I'd just get what works for you now. If you ARE replacing the computer too, why not just get the retina iMac right now?

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:17 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.