New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Help - Adobe RGB to sRGB Conversion

DougVaughn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help - Adobe RGB to sRGB Conversion

I have always struggled to keep yellows looking like I saw them when I convert from Adobe RGB to sRGB in Photoshop as a final step before saving for the web. If I choose to leave the color space as Adobe RGB, browsers do even worse things to the color.

I've been shooting my wife's daffodils this weekend, which are the prettiest we've had in years. The weather must have been just right. I get everything looking like I want, but as soon as I convert color spaces, I get a pale looking yellow that's not at all what the flowers looked like.

I see other images on the web that have real yellow in them, so I think I must be missing something simple. Below is an example. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

Mar 22, 2015 at 07:49 PM
roosteresque
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help - Adobe RGB to sRGB Conversion

The yellow you're looking for probably falls outside of the sRGB gamut. There are more than a few different calculations out there for converting color spaces as you've found with browsers attempting to do it one way and Photoshop doing it another. Within Photoshop there are a couple different sRGB profiles and Lightroom may be utilizing a different one also. They will all yield different results and you'll have to experiment to find the one that compromises your colors the least.

Mar 22, 2015 at 07:59 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help - Adobe RGB to sRGB Conversion

Were you converting the image colourspace, or the screen colour space ?

When doing a conversion you get a choice of intent - I think one is perceptual and there's relative colorimetric, etc. You'll find that one of them keeps all of the colours that are in the new (sRGB) colourspace exactly as they were and simply maxes out the rest at whatever the nearest limit of sRGB is. Another will make the extreme colours fit into sRGB and scale the rest accordingly so that nearly all colours are wrong but they retain their relative appearance fairly well. I suspect that to get the washed out yellows you have chosen the wrong intent for the conversion.

Firefox can be set to use colour profiles correctly if they are in the image file and if they are not version 4 ICC profiles. Other browsers get it wrong to greater or lesser extent.

I always imbed the colourspace into my files so that anyone who gets one can have a fighting chance of handling it correctly - whether or not they assume sRGB and whether or not I have used sRGB.

- Alan

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:44 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help - Adobe RGB to sRGB Conversion

The image you posted, in sRGB, has nothing that is past a 252 value in the red channel, so it seems you're not clipping anything even in the sRGB version.

When you do make the conversion to sRGB, it's always done with Relative Colorimetric even though it will let you choose Perceptual, Absolute and Saturation as well. The numbers are identical for all rendering intents. Relative Colorimetric is the rendering intent that does clip out of gamut colors without compressing any of the color gamut, so everything that's going to fall within the sRGB gamut is going to stay the same and only the out of gamut areas clipped to the nearest numbers within the target space.

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:54 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help - Adobe RGB to sRGB Conversion

When I have a lot of yellows, I increase the saturation and even shift the hue towards the red a few points in the yellow channel.

Mar 23, 2015 at 07:58 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help - Adobe RGB to sRGB Conversion

A couple of thoughts:

What kind of monitor do you have?

Are you working on a calibrated monitor?
Does your calibration software give you a gamut map when completed calibration?
-You can see if your monitor misses any of the gamut.

You need a Adobe 98 gamut capable monitor to post process and then convert to jpg with adobe98.

An example would be the new Dell U2714H handle adobe98.

As far as browsers, all of the 3 main web browsers handle either sRGB or Adobe98 jpgs.
mobile phones and tablet are another story.

-Mark

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:27 AM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help - Adobe RGB to sRGB Conversion

Thank for all the feedback. Before posting this, I did try all the different flavors of "convert to profile" in Photoshop, and decided to stick with the "relative colorimetric" as the others didn't appear to do anything differently. In desperation, I even tried converting to LAB, then sRGB from there. Still looked the same.

I'm working on a fully calibrated Dell U2410, so the monitor isn't the issue. You can see the color change before your eyes the instant you convert the profile, or by clicking and unclicking the preview box.

I had also tried fiddling with saturation levels as Bernie had suggested, but couldn't get a result that felt "real". Honestly it doesn't help being somewhat colorblind, although yellow is one of the few colors I seem to see clearly. I'm never confident when I start straying from what I think is calibrated or accurate. I do work with camera profiles created using a ColorChecker Passport and their software, so I should be starting out with pretty accurate color.

All in all, I guess I will live with it. As much as I despise Facebook, it's the only way friends and family will look at my images. If you load an image to Facebook with an Adobe RGB profile, they destroy it. The daffodils come out with some orangy looking ghastly appearance. If only for my website and printing, I'd do everything Adobe RGB.

Thanks again, and I won't take up more of folks' time.

Mar 23, 2015 at 08:00 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help - Adobe RGB to sRGB Conversion

Actually, the color looks fine to me, but I didn't see the daffodil (calibrated NEC PA272 using Firefox 36.0.4 without any modification)

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:31 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help - Adobe RGB to sRGB Conversion

One thing to keep in mind ... your time may be better spent on offering what is more pleasing for the end viewer rather than attempting duplicate what can be achieved on properly utilized hardware.

The average person who has never heard of Adobe RGB or sRGB or if their display/device can render either would also not likely be able to determine the nuances of color subtlety between the two files if they were offered up properly ... even fewer would be aware if their display is wide gamut let alone properly profiled .... until there is such a point where wider gamut, and it's correct rendering, is ubiquitous, it's better to just stick with sRGB for web use ... you'll retain more hair follicles and lose less sleep over the matter.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:32 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.