Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Is getting a UHS card overkill for a Canon T2i (550D)

chuckisgreat

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is getting a UHS card overkill for a Canon T2i (550D)

I've scoured the internet and cannot find a solid answer to this. I am trying to decide between a higher capacity SD card and a faster SD card.

I have a Canon T2i (550D) and it appears it cannot take advantage of the UHS designs which makes me think just buying a Class 10 card is as good as it will get in terms of speed?

Is that right?

Is there any merit in paying extra to buy a 1000x or 2000x card? Seems like the T2i (550D) will not be able to take advantage of that additional speed?

Does anyone know the highest speed (e.g., 300x, 600x, 1000x) that the T2i (550D) *can* effectively use? Or, alternatively, what is fastest that the camera could write to the SD card anyway (e.g., 30mb/s, 45mb/s, 60mb/s, 90mb/s, 100mb/s?)

Thanks for your insights and experiences!

Mar 22, 2015 at 02:39 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is getting a UHS card overkill for a Canon T2i (550D)

I have no idea what that body's max write speed is but when I'm shopping for large cards (more expensive ) I try to think for the future bodies I may move to so I buy the fastest the current camera can use. That arms me with a better card when I upgrade. If however I'm looking for a few 8 gig cards I buy what's on sale & meets the recommendation in the manual.

Mar 22, 2015 at 03:58 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is getting a UHS card overkill for a Canon T2i (550D)

The t2i should output hd video at about 48mbps (6MB/s)...stock.
However, if using Magic Lantern, Ive read as high as 80-100mbps.

A C10 should be just fine. You can use UHS-1 cards, but the t2i will treat it as a C10 card. This puts the maximum bandwidth at about 25MB/s...which is more than enough.

I get by just fine with a C6 in my HF11 encoding at 24mbps.

100mbps is equal to 12.5MB/s

Mar 22, 2015 at 04:04 PM
chuckisgreat

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is getting a UHS card overkill for a Canon T2i (550D)

Thanks, Aaron. That's what I thought: UHS will have no advantage. I've read that the camera's buffer records at a max of 30.9MB/s. So, I'm thinking that any card that has a rating of 30MB/s or better will be about as fast as the camera can handle? (Not using Magic Lantern--I don't do much video.)

Cicopo--you're right about future bodies, but it is not looking like I'll be upgrading to anything any time soon, so I was focusing on spending the least possible to get as much as I could out of my current camera without over-spending.

Mar 22, 2015 at 04:54 PM
thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is getting a UHS card overkill for a Canon T2i (550D)

Read speed on your computer card is another factor to consider.

Mar 22, 2015 at 06:07 PM
chuckisgreat

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is getting a UHS card overkill for a Canon T2i (550D)

Very true, thedutt. I'm mostly trying to squeeze all the speed I can out of the SD card inside the camera (without purchasing speed that won't be used at the camera) and I'm willing to wait a bit when transferring at the computer. So, I'm not too worried about the computer end. Still, a worthwhile consideration for other folks in a hurry to get to editing!

Mar 22, 2015 at 07:43 PM
onewhoshoots

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is getting a UHS card overkill for a Canon T2i (550D)

Similar to what Aaron said, I remember reading that the T2i wasn't made with UHS in mind. I've used UHS (45MB/s and 95MB/s) cards for photos, and I can't say I've noticed any difference in speed.

However, for videos, I never shoot with cards that are rated under 45MB/s because the camera will always stop recording about 5-15 seconds in.

Mar 22, 2015 at 08:58 PM
chuckisgreat

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is getting a UHS card overkill for a Canon T2i (550D)

Very helpful, onewhoshoots. I appreciate that word-to-the-wise about video.

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:41 PM
thoang77
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is getting a UHS card overkill for a Canon T2i (550D)

I had a Sandisk Ultra (30mb/s) in my D3100 before. Definitely bogged it down recording video. I'd recommend the Sandisk Extreme Plus line. Great performance/price ratio which should future-proof you for a while. Almost as good as the Extreme Pro, for 30% less.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Memory-Frustration-Free-SDSDXS-32GB-AFFP/dp/B00DN43UHU

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:00 PM
hiudufhuk

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is getting a UHS card overkill for a Canon T2i (550D)

Hii......
I recommend you to please don't go for higher capacity SD card and a faster SD card rather then these points go for compatible SD card. Following are some sd card categories that are compatible for Canon 550d:
Your camera supports SDXC cards which have a theoretical size limit of 2 TB, so it supports any SD, SDHC or SDXC memory cards on the market.
SD – Up to 4GB worth of images and video.
Up to 32GB worth of images and video.
SDXC – Up to 128GB (currently) worth of images and video
Get more information from Canon 550d Manual- guideusermanual.com/product-name-eos-550d-manual&po=156732&lang=English

May 23, 2017 at 07:16 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.