Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Rollei bankrupt and being auctioned?

irish-george
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rollei bankrupt and being auctioned?

I may have missed it on here (a search didn't turn up this topic). If this report is true:
http://petapixel.com/2015/03/13/rolleiflex-factory-to-be-liquidated-at-auction-heres-a-look-inside/

It is a sad day for one of photography's finest brands.

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rollei bankrupt and being auctioned?

I'm surprised they lasted that long. For every camera company that closes 10 factories probably spring up to make Chinese cell phones with cameras.

EBH

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:56 PM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rollei bankrupt and being auctioned?

Probably, for now. But every new product eventually saturates the market and people tire of buying landfill by the railroad car. I just find it sad that we are in a race to the bottom where "more" is valued over "quality".

Mar 22, 2015 at 06:30 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rollei bankrupt and being auctioned?

irish-george wrote:
Probably, for now. But every new product eventually saturates the market and people tire of buying landfill by the railroad car. I just find it sad that we are in a race to the bottom where "more" is valued over "quality".

The people who shoot photos with phones were never Rollei's customers in the first place...so it is not an issue of the race to the bottom. The phone shooters were the p&s crowd during the film days. The advancement of digital photography killed Rollei as the company failed to make the transition. Happens to the best of companies if they fail to evolve.

Mar 22, 2015 at 09:20 AM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rollei bankrupt and being auctioned?

What you say is quite true. That wasn't quite the context about a "race to the bottom" that was running through my head when I posted. It wasn't aimed at phones vs high-end MF cameras, but at how, in general, people are choosing more (features) over higher quality. It seems that the general public perceives value by how many features you can stuff into a product. If the refrigerator can make phone calls and toast, too, all the better. I've just seen so many silly features in products that have to be there just because you can put it in...

Mar 22, 2015 at 09:35 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rollei bankrupt and being auctioned?

Like video in a DSLR?

Mar 22, 2015 at 09:50 AM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rollei bankrupt and being auctioned?

On generic products, the "feature" that never made any sense to me was Cadillac's motorized trunk. You still have to manually close it so that it latches, but it doesn't close all the way until a motor pulls it down the rest of the way (trash compactor inspired?), thereby either smashing whatever you are over stuffing your trunk with and/or deforming the sheet metal of your trunk. And, this "feature" adds cost and is something else to go wrong. The rationale for it totally escapes me...

It's one thing when related features are added to a product without adversely impacting original functionality, but often the intended purpose of a product suffers in the process. That is pretty common with smart phones. You pay $600-1000 for a phone, and as a phone, it's "meh". It does a lot of things mediocrely, including being a phone.

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:13 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rollei bankrupt and being auctioned?

This is really bad news. They are expensive and I hear that the modern lenses are not up to the older ones made by Schneider and Zeiss. At least they didn't go the boutique route that Leica took. What you are paying for is the real cost of something made in Germany, also unlike Leica which rather shamefully has Made in Germany engraved on their modern camera bodies.

My Rollieflex TLR is an f3.5 E3 made in the early 1960's. Beautifully made, in great condition and simple to use. The only issue with it is that it draws a lot of attention which I don't like, but the pictures from it are unbelievable. Rolleiflex going down the tubes is a sad loss indeed.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:54 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rollei bankrupt and being auctioned?

is hassy next?

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:27 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rollei bankrupt and being auctioned?

Hasselblad is still in business?

EBH

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:46 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rollei bankrupt and being auctioned?

jcolwell wrote:
Like video in a DSLR?

Im with you Jim. Hurry and get in the bunker. I need someone to play chess with while this one blows over.

Actually contemplating selling my HF11. Either that or buying an Atomos Ninja Star to breath new life into it.
I know I mentioned a couple weeks back I have no need whatsoever for video capabilities in a new body...but damn if it isnt tempting.

I still blame the House season finale, that was recorded 5 years ago entirely with a 5D, for why every blasted dslr has video capabilities. I said it then, and I still say it now - "DSLRs are for photography. Want video, buy a video
camera."

Mar 22, 2015 at 01:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rollei bankrupt and being auctioned?

It must have been a 5D II, but your point is well taken.

EBH

Mar 22, 2015 at 01:28 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rollei bankrupt and being auctioned?

EB-1 wrote:
It must have been a 5D II, but your point is well taken.

EBH

It was a mkii. But I figured that part was irrelevent.

Mar 22, 2015 at 01:35 PM
jim allison
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rollei bankrupt and being auctioned?

Rollei has been dead for a long long time. This is just setting the tombstone.

Mar 22, 2015 at 08:07 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.