Open to all feedback.

Cheers,

Jeff

Mar 21, 2015 at 03:38 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Into Darkness

Wierd. As I scroll it changes persepctive. How do you do it?

Mar 21, 2015 at 07:31 PM
Charlie K.
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Into Darkness

looks good on the first run, maybe try and clone some of the clutter at the bottom into the dark. I have similar issues when I shoot urban decay and find myself wanting to tidy up the area before I shoot. The perspective change is also a nice side effect.

Mar 22, 2015 at 08:42 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Into Darkness

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Ben, pure luck.

Charlie, when it comes to decay I'm all for clutter. In most shots I feel that it adds to the context vs. distracts from the message.

Cheers,

Jeff

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:09 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Into Darkness

When I first viewed this image the other day I was on my tablet and kept moving up and down trying to figure out what the heck Ben was talking about but didn't see anything strange with the perspective shift.

I'm on a normal pc right now and using the scroll wheel I see it! Wow! That's pretty cool Jeff. I notice it doesn't do it when you grab the side slider bar but only with the scroll wheel on the mouse. I've never seen this optical illusion before.

I can't offer any other thoughts about your image because this type of stuff just isn't my cup of tea. It's a nice image though. I'm giving it a big thumbs up for the visual stimulation factor. That's crazy!

I've gone back up 3 times while typing this just to see it again.

Mar 24, 2015 at 03:11 PM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Into Darkness

I dig this type of shot, and think your composition and processing are good for this image.

One thing I think would give more impact would be greater DOF...

If the conduits on the left and the larger pipe on the right were in focus deeper into the shot it would draw your eye "into the darkness" *better* (for lack of a better word...) I think.

Anthony

Mar 24, 2015 at 07:27 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Into Darkness

Thanks for the comments, Dave!

Anthony, I agree about a boost in DOF would help out. The foreground detail is paramount IMO as it's the jumping off point for the eyes, but as-shot the sharpness might fall off too quickly.

I might try to either stack this with a couple other shots I took or revisit and reshoot.

I appreciate the feedback!

Jeff

Mar 25, 2015 at 07:07 AM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Into Darkness

Hi Jeff-yes the foreground detail (nuts on the flange bolts, hangers for the conduit, etc.) are GREAT and grab one's attention really well.

I also like the processing choices you made. Very easy to over-do it on a shot like this and you've got great balance in your tones...

Take care,

Anthony

Mar 25, 2015 at 08:10 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Into Darkness

Mongrel wrote:
Hi Jeff-yes the foreground detail (nuts on the flange bolts, hangers for the conduit, etc.) are GREAT and grab one's attention really well.

I also like the processing choices you made. Very easy to over-do it on a shot like this and you've got great balance in your tones...

Take care,

Anthony

Cheers buddy!

Mar 25, 2015 at 08:44 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Into Darkness

Jeff, I just wanted you to know that your image with it's changing perspective intrigued me so much that I came back to look at it last night on my calibrated monitor to see if it worked there as well.

It didn't. But.... after thinking about it I figured out that the amount of lines set in the control panel for your mouse wheel is the key to this strange phenomenon. If you set the amount of lines to 2 or 3 it works but anything above it doesn't. I suspect it has something to do with the distance (spacing) of the left side pipes relative to this particular 2-3 line scroll setting. For what ever reason it works a little better on my work monitor vs. my home monitor.

I know this means nothing in print and you probably could care less about it, but I just wanted you to know that your image (to me) has gone beyond the normal captivation we seek to capture in our photos.

And it's all Ben's fault!

I'm going back up to scroll some more now.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:23 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Into Darkness

lighthound wrote:
Jeff, I just wanted you to know that your image with it's changing perspective intrigued me so much that I came back to look at it last night on my calibrated monitor to see if it worked there as well.

It didn't. But.... after thinking about it I figured out that the amount of lines set in the control panel for your mouse wheel is the key to this strange phenomenon. If you set the amount of lines to 2 or 3 it works but anything above it doesn't. I suspect it has something to do with the distance (spacing) of
...Show more

Cool info, Dave! I never would have even known if Ben didn't say anything about it. I think you hit the nail on the head with the scroll length and spacing between the pipes.

Enjoy the wonky pipes!

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:30 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Into Darkness

I studied it some more and it does not really change perspective, the relationship from any pipe to any other feature does not change, its all a perceptually thing caused by how the image gets cropped as the top moves out of view.

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:20 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Into Darkness

Decay Is my cup of tea. With heaping amounts of clutter, the more textured, the better.
Great POV chosen and aptly titled.
Not sure how do-able it is, but the main distracting pull to my eye is the brightness along segments of the pipe on the right. Anything to recover?
Scott

Mar 25, 2015 at 08:34 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Into Darkness

sbeme wrote:
Decay Is my cup of tea. With heaping amounts of clutter, the more textured, the better.
Great POV chosen and aptly titled.
Not sure how do-able it is, but the main distracting pull to my eye is the brightness along segments of the pipe on the right. Anything to recover?
Scott

Thanks Scott! I was wondering if anyone was going to find that reflection to be distracting. I should be able to get some detail back and lower the distracting highlights.

Cheers,

Jeff

Mar 26, 2015 at 06:46 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Into Darkness

Maybe post the rework?

Mar 26, 2015 at 06:52 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Into Darkness

sbeme wrote:
Maybe post the rework?

I will when there is one! At work currently.

Mar 26, 2015 at 06:53 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.