New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Not Safe Anymore

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Not Safe Anymore

I like the texture and hard lines, but does this hold interest at all?

Thanks,

Jeff

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:32 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Not Safe Anymore

You might try and give it the "squint test" and see what you see when you look at it.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:26 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Not Safe Anymore

Jeff, Since you ask a direct question I will give a direct answer. I see nothing in this image, except clutter, disarray, and grit. Sorry. Jim

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:58 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Not Safe Anymore

oldrattler wrote:
Jeff, Since you ask a direct question I will give a direct answer. I see nothing in this image, except clutter, disarray, and grit. Sorry. Jim

Don't apologize - that's what I was capturing.

Also, thanks for shooting straight with your opinion - this is why I like this place!

Jeff

Mar 21, 2015 at 01:01 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Not Safe Anymore

I find a lot to like about this image. It's a disturbing image and will provoke a strong reaction in many people because of the subject matter. You're looking at the aftermath of a ferocious fire which has melted the surfaces and destroyed the main attraction, a safe. I doubt anyone looking at the safe beforehand would ever guess it could be decimated like this. It's purpose was to safeguard money and hold the owner's most valued possessions. So it comes as a shock that what seemed to be an impenetrable fortress could end up like this. One certainly feels uncomfortable after looking at the image, perhaps unconsciously questioning their own safety and security. But isn't that the object of good "art" and photography, to stimulate strong emotions in the viewer and get one thinking...

Nice pp, by the way.

Mar 21, 2015 at 08:22 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Not Safe Anymore

I find it to be kinda busy and tonally difficult to really see (i.e. the "squint test"). That said, wondering if a portrait orientation might have afforded a stronger comp.

+1 @ it deserves a bit more study the refractory and the front door, etc. to make you think about what has occurred.

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:22 PM
Charlie K.
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Not Safe Anymore

I am guessing the background was partially colorful due to the graffiti. It might draw more interest if the safe was the hard B&W and the background was a washed out version of its original color.

Mar 22, 2015 at 08:38 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Not Safe Anymore

eeneryma wrote:
I find a lot to like about this image. It's a disturbing image and will provoke a strong reaction in many people because of the subject matter. You're looking at the aftermath of a ferocious fire which has melted the surfaces and destroyed the main attraction, a safe. I doubt anyone looking at the safe beforehand would ever guess it could be decimated like this. It's purpose was to safeguard money and hold the owner's most valued possessions. So it comes as a shock that what seemed to be an impenetrable fortress could end up like this. One certainly feels
...Show more

Thanks for the comments, eeneryma. I'm glad you were able to make a strong connection to the picture! Vulnerability is a powerful thing.

---------------------------------------------

RustyBug wrote:
I find it to be kinda busy and tonally difficult to really see (i.e. the "squint test"). That said, wondering if a portrait orientation might have afforded a stronger comp.

+1 @ it deserves a bit more study the refractory and the front door, etc. to make you think about what has occurred.

Agreed - the safe is very similar texturally and tonally to the surrounding wall, which tends to play up the business and downplays isolation/separation.

I'd like to keep the wideness around the safe, so maybe pulling back some to include more at the top will help with the previous issue.

I'm also going to see how this looks in color as I believe that will enhance separation.

Charlie K. wrote:
I am guessing the background was partially colorful due to the graffiti. It might draw more interest if the safe was the hard B&W and the background was a washed out version of its original color.

You are correct! Background at the very least will be faded color, depending on age.

I will post a color (or more colorful) version to see how that plays out.

Thanks everyone!

Jeff

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:15 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Not Safe Anymore

It may seem counter-intuitive, but I strongly suspect you can better portray the texture and hard lines but using less over-all contrast and letting the lines and edges tell the story with a full supporting cast of tonality to sing harmony of textural "contrast". Edges look sharper when compared to things that are smooth. Too much contrast with too many edges tends to loose itself in "busy". It's like the difference between lemonade and lemon juice.

Mar 24, 2015 at 02:20 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Not Safe Anymore

I like it. Again, clutter, disarray, decay; that's for me. Difficult separating out objects? Part of the intrigue, challenge, although I agree there are many different plays on separation or lack here that make different statements, ease of identification.
As for the "squint test": this is my one critique. I want to squint. I find the contrast too harsh and therefore unpleasant to look closely at. I would quiet the image with some reduction in contrast and perhaps shadow/highlight adjustments. You will still have plenty of busy left.

Scott

Mar 25, 2015 at 08:40 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Not Safe Anymore

AuntiPode wrote:
It may seem counter-intuitive, but I strongly suspect you can better portray the texture and hard lines but using less over-all contrast and letting the lines and edges tell the story with a full supporting cast of tonality to sing harmony of textural "contrast". Edges look sharper when compared to things that are smooth. Too much contrast with too many edges tends to loose itself in "busy". It's like the difference between lemonade and lemon juice.

Interesting! I am generous with contrast in most of my mono conversions. Personal preference I guess, but I am also still pretty new to mono. I'll give the textural contrast a shot and pull back on the tonal contrast.

Thanks Karen!

sbeme wrote:
I like it. Again, clutter, disarray, decay; that's for me. Difficult separating out objects? Part of the intrigue, challenge, although I agree there are many different plays on separation or lack here that make different statements, ease of identification.
As for the "squint test": this is my one critique. I want to squint. I find the contrast too harsh and therefore unpleasant to look closely at. I would quiet the image with some reduction in contrast and perhaps shadow/highlight adjustments. You will still have plenty of busy left.

Scott

Thanks for the feedback, Scott! Like I mentioned above, I miiiight go a bit overboard with contrast and sharpness in my mono conversions. It seems like this shot is pulling a mixed bag of reactions, but I'll make some tweaks and repost for everyone to take a look.

Jeff

Mar 26, 2015 at 07:09 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Not Safe Anymore

To me, this image could be used as-is or adapted to tell the story a different way, or to tell a different story.

I see the clutter and have to focus for a while to understand what I am seeing. So to your question whether it "holds interest," my answer is "yes, but only because you asked me to critique it." If I saw it in passing, I would likely not spend the time to study it.

With that, though, it is a very versatile image that doesn't immediately draw the viewer's attention, but upon study has much to reveal.

On the contrary, it could draw the viewer's eye faster with better separateion. Even as simple as darkening some of the background to allow the safe to be brighter would probably do it.

It just depends on exactly what you want to convey.

Apr 01, 2015 at 11:47 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Not Safe Anymore

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
To me, this image could be used as-is or adapted to tell the story a different way, or to tell a different story.

I see the clutter and have to focus for a while to understand what I am seeing. So to your question whether it "holds interest," my answer is "yes, but only because you asked me to critique it." If I saw it in passing, I would likely not spend the time to study it.

With that, though, it is a very versatile image that doesn't immediately draw the viewer's attention, but upon study has much to reveal.

On the
...Show more

Thank you for the feedback and comments, Squirrely Eyed!

I'll have to admit that I've been slacking lately and haven't gotten a chance to update this image.

Today is the day!

Jeff

Apr 02, 2015 at 06:23 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Not Safe Anymore

Alrighty - finally got off (or on?) my ass to updated this picture.

I pulled back on the contrast and clarity, changed toning and added some more vignetting.

Better? Worse?

Jeff

Apr 04, 2015 at 08:55 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Not Safe Anymore

I like the new tone. Between the original and new crop, to me it's still part of the "what do you want out of this image?" category. Both work, the new crop puts a little more emphasis on the environment.

Apr 06, 2015 at 07:41 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Not Safe Anymore

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
I like the new tone. Between the original and new crop, to me it's still part of the "what do you want out of this image?" category. Both work, the new crop puts a little more emphasis on the environment.

Thanks, SE.

I'm for giving the environment more of a nod to make the viewer question what happened to cause the destruction of something that is supposed to be secure and unbreakable.

Apr 06, 2015 at 11:10 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Not Safe Anymore

more contained, manageable and less harsh. I prefer the rework
Scott

Apr 06, 2015 at 01:02 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Not Safe Anymore

sbeme wrote:
more contained, manageable and less harsh. I prefer the rework
Scott

Thanks for the feedback, Scott!

Apr 06, 2015 at 01:39 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.