Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

Aaron D
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

For quite a while, Ive wanted such a thing. But for a camera/lens, not a telescope. With optics with a reach up to 700mm, Id love to find a good, relatively inexpensive, entry level type tracking tripod or head.

Does such a thing exist? Or can these only be found with/for a telescope?

If I had the money, Id consider an Orion or Vixen. But funds dont permit such things at this time.

Thanks
Aaron

Mar 20, 2015 at 08:56 PM
Aloicious
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

so you're just wanting to use a camera/lens on some kind of tracking mount similar to what is used for telescopes? sure, myself and many others here have an astrotrac which is exactly that. you can also use a lens/camera with most any telescope mount, you may just need an adapter dovetail or something.

Mar 20, 2015 at 09:24 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

You can use a telescope setup, but the astrotrac is quite good.
I tracked 1200mm for 60 secs with it. No trails at 100%. No RA guiding.
I was lucky with the lack of wind and alignment.
It is not small but you can travel easily with it.

Mar 20, 2015 at 09:38 PM
Aloicious
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

dgdg wrote:
You can use a telescope setup, but the astrotrac is quite good.
I tracked 1200mm for 60 secs with it. No trails at 100%. No RA guiding.
I was lucky with the lack of wind and alignment.
It is not small but you can travel easily with it.

the astrotrac is a great piece of equipment, its definitely smaller lighter than any telescope mount setup by a significant amount.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:40 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

A useful link per the above recommendation of the Astrotrac.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1192050

I'm thinking about it myself too!

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:15 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

Thanks guys. I'll check out the Astrotrac. Would probably try to pick up a used one. For the price of new, I could pick up a decent 4in Vixen/Orion Cat, or 80mm refractor, and an entry level mount.
This would be my first such setup (havent had a scope since I was a kid). The lenses Id be using are a 300/4L, 500/6.3, and a 1.4x tc.
I have to be honest, it almost looks like I'd be better off going the dedicated scope route. Id have more FL, and the view would probably be better.

Now its been a couple years since Ive considered this. I remember reading Vixen and Orion were good optics for the money. Is this still the case? Better than Meade and Celestron in the same price class I assume?

Maybe someday I can get a 14in cat...someday.

Mar 21, 2015 at 03:54 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

After seeing what can be done with a 300/2.8....

Can anyone recommend some type of rings/dovetail I could use on a canon 300/4L?

And why dont we have an astro section here?

Mar 21, 2015 at 05:19 PM
wfektar
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

As noted for the price of an astrotrac you can get a mount guidable in RA and dec -- its advantage is size. If size isn't a priority but price is there are lots of used drives for not that much. EQ4-class (Celestron CG4, Orion SkyView Pro, Skywatcher EQ4) is fine unless you start getting really serious (stacks of very long guided exposures). Older Celestron, Criterion, and Edmund Scientific GEMs are probably the cheapest entry.

As for rings for the 300/4. If that's your imaging scope just get the tripod foot and stick it on whatever rail the mount you get takes. Vixen dovetails are the most standard.

Mar 21, 2015 at 07:43 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

Thanks WF. I think thats the route I'll proceed with.

Can mounts be adapted to a standard tripod? As in replacing my standard camera head, with an astro head capable of tracking. Or are astro mounts/heads designed differently for specific astro tripods?

Mar 21, 2015 at 08:07 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

If you're still interested...
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1192050/18#12803668

Jack

Mar 22, 2015 at 07:08 AM
wfektar
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

Aaron D wrote:
Thanks WF. I think thats the route I'll proceed with.

Can mounts be adapted to a standard tripod? As in replacing my standard camera head, with an astro head capable of tracking. Or are astro mounts/heads designed differently for specific astro tripods?

They're all different (many GEMs will have an index post to simplify repeatability of polar alignment), You will probably need to get an adapter for the GEM you use. If you're decent with a hand drill you could make a wooden adapter easily enough, though.

Also consider the EQ3-class mount, such as the one in jforkner's post. I think Celestron calls it CG3, Orion the AstroView (they/'re all made by Synta, who dominate the entry level).

---------------------------------------------

jforkner wrote:
If you're still interested...
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1192050/18#12803668

Jack

Cool setup, excellent results! I didn't even know you could motorize the EQ3.

Mar 22, 2015 at 06:55 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

Jack and WF...the motorized EQ3 your both referring to, would that be the same mount I was looking at on Orions site yesterday?
http://www.telescope.com/mobileProduct/Mounts-Tripods/Equatorial-Mounts-Tripods/Orion-AstroView-EQ-Mount-amp-EQ-3M-Motor-Drive-Kit/pc/2/c/34/106938.uts

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:52 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

Guys,

The mount I use is an Orion AstroView EQ Mount & EQ-3M Motor Drive Kit. You can find it here:

http://www.telescope.com/Mounts-Tripods/Equatorial-Mounts-Tripods/Orion-AstroView-EQ-Mount-amp-EQ-3M-Motor-Drive-Kit/pc/-1/c/2/sc/34/p/106938.uts

Jack

Mar 23, 2015 at 07:48 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

Ok, yup, same one I was eyeing. Thanks Jack!

Mar 23, 2015 at 03:10 PM
Aloicious
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Astronomical telescope mounts/tripods?

I've got an Orion Atlast EQ-G that is very nice, however its a monster, a real pain to haul out to the really dark sky areas, but if full blown telescope use is your concern, something substantial like that might be better suited. I prefer the astrotrac for simplicity and ease of transport for all my camera gear up to and including my 300 f2.8. but I wouldn't mount my RC scope to it simply because of weight and balance issues.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:32 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.