Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Question - should I send in my bodies to NPS for routine checkups/cleaning?

jcnemy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question - should I send in my bodies to NPS for routine checkups/cleaning?

Good afternoon folks...

Quick question since I could not find any definitive answers via the Search function....

Per the subject - should I send in my bodies to NPS for routine checkups/cleaning? I'm not a member of NPS. I would like to be, but I don't think I qualify since shooting is not my main profession.

Anyways - I have a D700 and D3s that I bought used, two years ago on the D700 and about a year ago on the D3s. I've taken good care of them and currently experience no problems or issues with either body. I've noticed the D700 has some spots on the sensor...but I'm guessing with some research...I can do the task (if not or ill advised...let me know).

Asking because I routinely see comments on the 'For Sale' postings of "Just back from Nikon with a clean bill of health and cleaning...." and wonder if I should send them in for checkup/cleaning and obviously consider any repairs if discovered?

I believe the obvious answer is yes, especially if you depend on them professionally, but how often should I send them and what is the normal costs?

Thanks for any comments or insights,

Sincerely,

JC

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:21 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question - should I send in my bodies to NPS for routine checkups/cleaning?

Nope.

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:26 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question - should I send in my bodies to NPS for routine checkups/cleaning?

I would never send a body in "just because" if it was working just fine already. The #1 reason being that every time you send it in, you leave it in the hands of a courier (the likely source of most impact damage claims), and any time a tech is fiddling with your camera, there is also a chance something can end up worse than before. Also with the amount of precision components in the camera, even if Nikon does improve it, it might end up worse than you sent it in after it's done bouncing around the courier's distribution channels. If your cameras are operating as they should be and to your satisfaction, I would never risk sending it in.

Now, if you are within driving distance of a Nikon service center, there is a lot less risk. Just my opinion of course, but I wouldn't bother if they are working properly.

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:44 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question - should I send in my bodies to NPS for routine checkups/cleaning?

Craig & Mark beat me to it - I would never send in a camera for them to mess with. There's a good chance you'll end up with a problem you didn't have before.

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:46 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question - should I send in my bodies to NPS for routine checkups/cleaning?

When sellers claim their gear just got cleaned by Nikon, they are saying the gear needed fixing in the first place.

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:53 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question - should I send in my bodies to NPS for routine checkups/cleaning?

Steve Perry wrote:
Craig & Mark beat me to it - I would never send in a camera for them to mess with. There's a good chance you'll end up with a problem you didn't have before.

Agree totally Steve.

And OP, if the sensor needs cleaning, clean it. It's actually hard to believe you have a D700 and have never cleaned the sensor yourself unless you never change lenses. Being able to clean your own DSLR sensor is like a right of passage. There are plenty of articles on it online, so I won't bore you with details, but I clean the sensors on my cameras probably every week or two. It just depends where I was shooting and the conditions.

Jim

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:57 PM
elorablue
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question - should I send in my bodies to NPS for routine checkups/cleaning?

mshi wrote:
When sellers claim their gear just got cleaned by Nikon, they are saying the gear needed fixing in the first place.

*sigh*

Mar 20, 2015 at 03:01 PM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question - should I send in my bodies to NPS for routine checkups/cleaning?

Ladies and Gentlemen - thanks for taking the time and commenting. I'll admit....I'm a slow learner, but I think there was enough consensus and emphasis to hold what I got. All points make sense...especially concerning taking risk on shipping to and from....

JimFox wrote:
It's actually hard to believe you have a D700 and have never cleaned the sensor yourself unless you never change lenses. Being able to clean your own DSLR sensor is like a right of passage...

Jim

Jim - I know...I know....no excuse for not knowing how to do this. I change lenses quite often and always try to minimize an open body...but I guess I've been lucky.

So - will put this chore on my 'To Do' list this weekend and get-r-done.

Thanks again to everyone!

JC

Mar 20, 2015 at 03:35 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.