New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · More Reach Faster AF?

wjlapier
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More Reach Faster AF?

I'm back to using a D300 and AF 180/2.8 shooting my kid and her friends in track in HS and soon my son in MS. Years ago I remember this combo working well if I adjusted the camera to work within the limitations of the lens. Which is fine for middle schoolers, not so for high schoolers. Coming from a D700 and AFS 200/2, I know what fast AF is and quick focus acquisition. I don't shoot that combo anymore.

My question. What lens or options will give me more reach and faster AF? Adding a TC will give me more reach but AF will be about the same. I'm wondering about the super zooms and how quick they acquire AF and maintain it? Slow ( f/5.6 ) I'm not too concerned about. Shooting hurdles, 100, 200 mainly but will shoot other events. I'd really like to get to 300+ or equivalent.. Btw, how is the 300/4 AFS for AF?

Thanks folks.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:04 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More Reach Faster AF?

Sounds like the 300 AFS would be great - or the new 300 F4 as well. Much faster AF + more reach.

You might also consider the new 80-400 G - I love mine and the versatility of the zoom comes on handy.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:10 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More Reach Faster AF?

You aren't going to find much that focuses faster than a 200/2, but the 300/4 has extremely fast AF as well, and so do the 300/2.8's if you go that route. The 300/4 needs good support if you aren't getting the newer PF VR version, but so will any longer lens.

AF on the 80-400G is pretty snappy, but not as quick as the exotic primes. The zooming ability makes framing a lot easier when distance changes though.

If I were you I'd probably grab a 300/4 PF VR and a 1.4 TC if needed. So light & compact as well. If you're shooting off a tripod, maybe save $1000 and grab the previous 300/4 AF-S.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:30 PM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More Reach Faster AF?

I could track a running horse, a F16 and cars with a D700 and a old 80-400, the slowest AF I know. The problem is not tracking, but locking on the subject, but that can't be a problem with hurdles. Put the AF only on the back, focus on the hurdle you want to start tracking and wait till the runner is nearly there, push the af-on and when locked the shutterbutton and this will work 90% of the times.

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:15 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More Reach Faster AF?

hjanssen wrote:
I could track a running horse, a F16 and cars with a D700 and a old 80-400, the slowest AF I know. The problem is not tracking, but locking on the subject, but that can't be a problem with hurdles. Put the AF only on the back, focus on the hurdle you want to start tracking and wait till the runner is nearly there, push the af-on and when locked the shutterbutton and this will work 90% of the times.

I do this for hurdles most of the time, but for some reason yesterday I could not get the 180 to focus on the last hurdle or the one before it.

As for buying expensive glass, those days are over. The 200/2 I bought because I had two kids playing indoor sports-basketball and volleyball. I then added the 1.4TC and used it for softball mostly, but some MS track too. After the kids decided to play only outdoor sports I sold the 200/2 and eventually the 1.4TC.

I might look into the 300/4. I was curious about the lenses like the 18-200, 18-200, 28-300 and so on.

Mar 20, 2015 at 04:29 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More Reach Faster AF?

Shot some more track yesterday with the D300 and AF 180, and added a Kenko 1.4 TC. Now, before you roll your eyes or start laughing out loud, the little TC did great. And now I remember stacking two of these inexpensive ( not cheaply made ) TCs with the 180 and still got some nice shots, but AF did slow down. So, I'll stick with this combo for the season.

Looking over some softball pics from last year the D700 with the 28-300 AFS did very well. If there is an equivalent lens for DX and as sharp I'd like to hear about it--the 18-200?

Mar 27, 2015 at 11:50 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More Reach Faster AF?

wjlapier wrote:
Shot some more track yesterday with the D300 and AF 180, and added a Kenko 1.4 TC. Now, before you roll your eyes or start laughing out loud, the little TC did great. And now I remember stacking two of these inexpensive ( not cheaply made ) TCs with the 180 and still got some nice shots, but AF did slow down. So, I'll stick with this combo for the season.

Looking over some softball pics from last year the D700 with the 28-300 AFS did very well. If there is an equivalent lens for DX and as sharp I'd
...Show more

As I have both a D300 and 180mm f2.8 as well as the Tamron SP 1.4x PRO I am not surprised at all. The lens is wonderful though a tiny bit slow to focus and the TC barely slows it down. Super sharp setup with great bokeh.

Morris

Mar 27, 2015 at 08:55 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More Reach Faster AF?

wjlapier wrote:

Looking over some softball pics from last year the D700 with the 28-300 AFS did very well. If there is an equivalent lens for DX and as sharp I'd
...Show more

Why are you shooting with a D300 and not the D700 that served you so well? I think going backwards in hardware is always going to give you lesser results.

Jim

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:15 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More Reach Faster AF?

wjlapier wrote:
I do this for hurdles most of the time, but for some reason yesterday I could not get the 180 to focus on the last hurdle or the one before it.

As for buying expensive glass, those days are over. The 200/2 I bought because I had two kids playing indoor sports-basketball and volleyball. I then added the 1.4TC and used it for softball mostly, but some MS track too. After the kids decided to play only outdoor sports I sold the 200/2 and eventually the 1.4TC.

I might look into the 300/4. I was curious about the lenses like the 18-200,
...Show more

I have a tamron 28-300 and its a good walk around lens but the AF is not near as fast as my sigma 70-200. I am shooting canon gear but I would not expect the 28-300 to perform anywhere as well as your 180.

Mar 28, 2015 at 08:45 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.