New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · F-Stop Bag to Take Backpacking in Southeast Asia

thomas2313

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · F-Stop Bag to Take Backpacking in Southeast Asia

Hey guys,

I'll be going backpacking for 5 months in SEA (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia) and am looking at purchasing an F-Stop bag to take with me. I was just looking for some advice at which pack and which size ICU would fit my needs.

As far as camera gear, i'll be taking my Fuji XT-1, 14mm, 35mm and 18-55mm, a tripod, GoPro, small tablet and all other necessary equipment like chargers batteries etc.

Along with the camera gear I need to be able to fit everything else I'm taking with me for 5 months (clothes, travel documents, first aid stuff etc).

I was looking at the Loka but they are out of stock at the moment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Mar 20, 2015 at 04:02 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · F-Stop Bag to Take Backpacking in Southeast Asia

Is your heart set on F-Stop? I guess at times you do intend to shoot out of your backpack.

If not you could pack your shooting kit, along with documents and cash, into any number of great camera bags and use a cheap(ish) backpack that you mind leaving in guesthouses/hotels. You needn't take much ex-Oz as clothing and essentials are cheap here.

Bring yourself, travel doc's, camera kit, cash and Cirrus ATM card, and good footwear. Travel light - everything else is readily available.

Edited on Mar 21, 2015 at 11:43 AM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2015 at 04:35 AM
ernstpcooper

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · F-Stop Bag to Take Backpacking in Southeast Asia

I recommend checking out Think Tank - they have a line of new mirrorless bags that I like called Perception. You can find them here: http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/search.php?search_query=perception. I like them because Think Tank made a bag that the average guy can afford but has all of the bells and whistles that you would expect from Think Tank.

They did a good job to get both your gear and personal items packed into the bag. I really like my Perception 15 I can't believe how lightweight it is. Just a suggestion.

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:09 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · F-Stop Bag to Take Backpacking in Southeast Asia

so many variables there to take into account.

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:38 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · F-Stop Bag to Take Backpacking in Southeast Asia

A great backpack - such as an Osprey - and a separate foam lens/camera bag, one of the cheap Chinese ones that cost ca. US$20 would be perfect. Get the pack first then buy one to fit, (or as Paul said, a small camera bag that fits inside your backpack). For 5 months on the road I most certainly would not be taking a dedicated camera pack.

For my next few trips over the next 18 months, to Iceland (3 weeks in June), Patagonia and Nepal etc., I will be taking an Osprey Aether 85L. I doubt you will need one that large maybe around a 60L would be perfect but by using compression straps even the larger packs would still work.

Mar 21, 2015 at 03:40 PM
mken

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · F-Stop Bag to Take Backpacking in Southeast Asia

I have to agree with Frogfish, get yourself a true back-country pack with a great suspension system, then throw your camera gear in an insert (like f-stop's small ICU). I definitely wouldn't go with the Loka, which is more like a day-pack. I did a small section of the John Muir Trail last summer with my Loka, but only because it was a mule supported trip (carried all of the gear, I just had to carry my water, rain gear, fleece jacket, and of course my 5d3 with 2 lenses = around 20 lbs), and even then I was hurting by the end of each day. Even with the small ICU in the Loka, there isn't much room left for all of the other things you mentioned. Now I have the first generation Loka, so I can't speak on any improvements they might of made since. But for the same money as the F-stop bags, you could pick up a great Osprey or Gregory 60+ liter bag (compared to the 37 liters of the Loka) that will hold all you need in much more comfort, properly transferring the weight to your hips. These bags will also compress down quite well when you don't need their full capacity.

Mar 21, 2015 at 04:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · F-Stop Bag to Take Backpacking in Southeast Asia

1- you're not taking it backpacking. its going to be used as a travel/camera pack. big difference. i use the Loka with a medium slope with my D7000 and and 2 other lenses. still leaves room for a bit of internal stuff. you might want to go to the Tilopa a one size up option

2- as far as pain at the end of the day. if you are not used to carrying a pack your not going to like the results at the end of the day. 20lbs is not light.

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:07 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · F-Stop Bag to Take Backpacking in Southeast Asia

sjms wrote:
1- you're not taking it backpacking ........

Yes, he is. The F-stops are the wrong backpacks for this trip. This is what Thomas said ........I'll be going backpacking for 5 months in SEA (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia)

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:45 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · F-Stop Bag to Take Backpacking in Southeast Asia

5 months ain't "backpacking". just clothing and docs with first aid stuff. no mention of sleeping gear that's just plain trekking. done enough of both to know the difference.

Mar 22, 2015 at 02:38 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · F-Stop Bag to Take Backpacking in Southeast Asia

Go to an outdoor store like REI and get yourself fitted for a pack for such a trip. Even though I use an F-stop for day trips, I'd never consider one for the trip you are describing. a proper pack for your voyage will save you hours of pain...don't think one moment an F-stop bag is up to carrying your gear, clothes and other stuff for 5 months. Not a chance. They are god photo bags...but are definitely lacking when it comes to comfort and support for a 5 month journey.

Mar 22, 2015 at 07:54 PM
Daniel Zurek

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · F-Stop Bag to Take Backpacking in Southeast Asia

Having been on such a trip and owning a Loka, I'll say that an F-Stop bag is a fine choice. But not the Loka, which would be much too small. That's assuming you're mostly traveling and not doing long backcountry hikes with tent etc. For shorter hikes of a few days F-Stops are really comfortable enough.

Mar 28, 2015 at 07:42 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · F-Stop Bag to Take Backpacking in Southeast Asia

Daniel Zurek wrote:
Having been on such a trip and owning a Loka, I'll say that an F-Stop bag is a fine choice. But not the Loka, which would be much too small. That's assuming you're mostly traveling and not doing long backcountry hikes with tent etc. For shorter hikes of a few days F-Stops are really comfortable enough.

He's carrying everything he needs for a 5 month trek. F-stop is NOT the way to go. I highly recommend a properly fitted trekking pack that can take one of many camera inserts that are available. The F-stop are good packs for carrying gear for a few days, but come short on both adequate support and even space for clothing and other toiletries needed for a 5 month trek.

Mar 28, 2015 at 09:34 PM
anolis23

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · F-Stop Bag to Take Backpacking in Southeast Asia

chez wrote:
He's carrying everything he needs for a 5 month trek. F-stop is NOT the way to go. I highly recommend a properly fitted trekking pack that can take one of many camera inserts that are available. The F-stop are good packs for carrying gear for a few days, but come short on both adequate support and even space for clothing and other toiletries needed for a 5 month trek.

Well I think we need a little more detail from the original poster, because It does sound like he already made his decision that he wants an F-stop bag (So he probably knows that what he is going to carry fits in the bag I assume). He has not said that he is going on a long trek, and that he is going to carry a tent or sleeping bag and such equipment... Everyone is assuming he is... For all we know he is going to stay in luxury hostels for 5 months and he wouldn't need much stuff! IF he is going to need to carry things like a sleeping bag, and other camping/hiking gear then YES a proper bag would be the #1 choice like an Osprey...

Mar 31, 2015 at 09:13 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · F-Stop Bag to Take Backpacking in Southeast Asia

I do think that it's pretty awful that someone makes his first post on FM, opening a new thread, and then doesn't come back or make any further comment, and it's closing on 2 weeks since this thread was opened. There may be a good reason for that but I'm pretty sceptical.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:37 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.