FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Orchesella villosa: Big, Hairy Springtail At Rest

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Orchesella villosa: Big, Hairy Springtail At Rest

In western Europe, at least, if you look amongst leaf litter on the ground, or lift flat stones or rotten logs where there is moisture underneath, you will often see this species. It is up to 5.5 mm long, very hairy (villosa means hairy) and jumps readily and powerfully.

The type of colour pattern in the images is typical, another character of the genus is the division of at least one of the basal segments of the antennae into two, giving more than the standard number of four per side for Collembola. (Not to be confused with the annulations on the second or second and third segments in some genera).

I found these two, several days apart, head down, immobile (apart from some slow movements of the antennae, and definitely not jumping.

I am unsure of the exact situation. The strong, erect, black hairs (first image), with backward-curving tips are typical. Prior to moult, a duplicate set would be seen, lying flat under the skin. These look fresh from recent moult, with the fine colourless hairs, lying flat on top of the skin, perhaps not yet erected and dried out. That some of this long setae are still pale in the second individual (second and third images) suggests that we see it a shorter time after its moult.

EM-1, Leitz Photar 50mm on extension, f11, twin TTL RC flash, on not attached to the camera, hand-held with support from the substrate.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Mar 20, 2015 at 01:34 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Orchesella villosa: Big, Hairy Springtail At Rest

Lovely captures Harold
Brian V.

Mar 20, 2015 at 01:58 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Orchesella villosa: Big, Hairy Springtail At Rest

LordV wrote:
Lovely captures Harold
Brian V.

Well, they were "sitting ducks"!

Collembola, and other subjects of similar size, are why I invested in this lens, which has a wide range of magnification capability. The millipede ones were just outside of that but still very good. I must try my Summar 80mm at magnifications closer to 1:1.

Harold

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:10 AM
rocco61
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Orchesella villosa: Big, Hairy Springtail At Rest

Excellent detail

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:03 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Orchesella villosa: Big, Hairy Springtail At Rest

rocco61 wrote:
Excellent detail

Thanks, rocco.

The lens and sensor work well together.

Harold

Mar 22, 2015 at 02:09 PM
Constable
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Orchesella villosa: Big, Hairy Springtail At Rest

Really nice. You are making me think about enlarger lenses!

Mar 22, 2015 at 03:27 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Orchesella villosa: Big, Hairy Springtail At Rest

Constable wrote:
Really nice. You are making me think about enlarger lenses!

Thanks, get a Schneider 40mm HM (version with variable aperture). It won't be cheap but has been compared to the MPE-65 and beaten it. I am just getting mine into action to compare, in practical use, with the Photar.

Harold

Mar 23, 2015 at 01:51 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.