New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2015 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

Tom K.
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/03/19/best-mirrorless-cameras-according-to-expert-photography-bloggers/

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:14 AM
sflxn
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

According to bloggers... but yeah, they were all in the same area as most people. Basically, it's what these bloggers consider the high-end model of each brand.

Poor Sony, they had too many models competing for a spot, whereas the other players mostly had one camera competing for a spot. If Sony could take the features and ergo of the A7II and combined it with the AF of the A6000, the high res of the A7R, and the low-light and video of the A7s, while priced competitively, they'd have one single winner in their camp. A9, is that you calling?

Interesting, the % of votes for each brands kinda correlates with marketshare, with the exception of Fuji. They picked Fuji more than Fuji's *current* marketshare.

Mar 20, 2015 at 01:11 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

Experts, ahem. Nice.

The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 People Savvy Enough to Use the Internet to their Advantage.

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:08 AM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

At least they used people who have actually used these things (maybe not all of them though). There are some self-appointed experts out there who don't even own cameras, much less shoot. I take notice of Gordon Laing and Chris Niccolls. I'll even listen to Ken Rockwell and Lok Cheung. I would have included Robin Wong and Steve Huff. There are others in that list who turn my stomach...

I pretty much go and do my own thing. I didn't buy any of the cameras I currently own based on the opinions of internet experts.

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:31 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

sflxn wrote:

Interesting, the % of votes for each brands kinda correlates with marketshare, with the exception of Fuji. They picked Fuji more than Fuji's *current* marketshare.

Not just more, but MUCH more than Fujifilm's market share.

Mar 20, 2015 at 03:44 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

The only reason why I ditched Fuji in the past before buying the A7R is due to its fixed lens in the X100 series and no full frame sensor in alternative mirrorless Fuji options which I definitely prefer. Otherwise, Fuji would have been likely my choice #1. Still wondering why Fuji does not compete with Sony in the mirrorless FF market with an exchangable lens system.

Mar 20, 2015 at 07:14 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

I dont understand the question to be honest... best for whom?

I'd pick fuji for myself, but I'd recommend sony for the average enthusiast, a smartphone for most other people, and if I was giving advice to an investor which project to fund I'd tell him to ditch mirrorless entirely and go for an entry level DSLR or a special edition leica. Cameras are different things to different people.

Mar 20, 2015 at 07:54 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

retrofocus wrote:
The only reason why I ditched Fuji in the past before buying the A7R is due to its fixed lens in the X100 series and no full frame sensor in alternative mirrorless Fuji options which I definitely prefer. Otherwise, Fuji would have been likely my choice #1. Still wondering why Fuji does not compete with Sony in the mirrorless FF market with an exchangable lens system.

Fuji doesn't compete because the FF mirrorless market is tiny and fickle.

Mar 20, 2015 at 08:03 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

As one who is in the roundup, the question was open ended and left to the responder to narrow the scope. It's why, if you read my recommendations in the article, I narrowed it to focus on high end rugged systems. If they had asked about best value, or best mirrorless camera for casual photographers, or best for landscape work, my answers would have been different. However, it seems a large portion of the reviewers contacted in the article had very similar thoughts to me.

Spyro P. wrote:
I dont understand the question to be honest... best for whom?

I'd pick fuji for myself, but I'd recommend sony for the average enthusiast, a smartphone for most other people, and if I was giving advice to an investor which project to fund I'd tell him to ditch mirrorless entirely and go for an entry level DSLR or a special edition leica. Cameras are different things to different people.

Mar 20, 2015 at 08:07 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

This list is completely 'non-binding' to any reader, because "best" is entirely subjective and personal. I mean, it's fun reading the opinions of others, but that's all they are - opinions. Congrats on Jordan being interviewed

You know, I'd love to own an XT1 and some nice lenses, but I can't. That's because once you start going a bit longer, the system is too damn big for my purposes. Fuji 50-140 is freaking huge compared to the Pana 35-100.

I throw my EM5, 14, 20, 42.5 and 35-100 in a Retrospective 5 man-purse, which is small enough to use while shooting a party, retirement, or even strap under my bike frame while biking.

That makes the EM5 (or an EM1 or whatever) the "best"....for me. Unfortunately there's no way I can move up in sensor size and retain the portability I need.

Plus, I'd probably instantly miss touchscreen on my XT1 (which is one of the reasons I sold it before), so yeah...EM5 baby

Mar 20, 2015 at 09:01 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

Yeah, I like that they kept the question open ended, as it allowed people to decide what it meant to them. Interesting to see the same 3-5 cameras consistently rise to the top, though. Taking a bunch of opinions, you get somewhat of a consensus. It would be interesting to see how answers would change if the question were narrowed. For instance, if it were best bang for the buck, I'd probably have chosen the a6000, GX7 and maybe the X-A1, original E-M5 or a5100. Best landscape probably would have been all Sony: A7R, A7 II and a6000. Best for video would probably have gone to the GH4, A7s and so on.

Mar 20, 2015 at 09:30 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

Yeah true, if you start to narrow the scope, choices become a bit more defined. I mean, I really dislike Sony cameras, but I can't deny that the A6000 is a great value, so it would be a close match between it and the GX7 if the category was "value" or something like that.

It didn't surprise me too much Fuji rose to the top on 'open' voting - XT1 is a really nice camera with great IQ and Fuji's lenses are awesome (and honestly I love Fuji JPEGS).

I have some very specific needs though (mountain bike portability w/longer lenses, touch screen) which pretty much disqualifies any APS-C. So it could be 100 experts singing Fuji's praises, I'd still be "well, good for them"

Mar 20, 2015 at 09:44 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

Of course. There's pretty high representation for m4/3. Both the E-M5 II and E-M1 were very well represented. I wrote my response (and thus selection of the M1 as one of my top) before I'd shot with the E-M5 II. Using that camera this week, I still think the M1 would make the cut for me, but it's really, really close between the two.

Mar 20, 2015 at 09:51 AM
riotshield
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

I think it's a pretty good list of respondents. The mirrorless universe (and cameras in general) is small so it's not surprising to see the Fuji/Sony/Olympus flagships consistently mentioned. You'd probably get the same results polling users here.

Mar 20, 2015 at 09:53 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

riotshield wrote:
I think it's a pretty good list of respondents. The mirrorless universe (and cameras in general) is small so it's not surprising to see the Fuji/Sony/Olympus flagships consistently mentioned. You'd probably get the same results polling users here.

I dunno, I think the polling here at FM would tend to sway heavily towards Sony, simply because so many FMers adapt lenses to the A7 series.

But you're right - mirrorless is pretty small (like DSLRs, really, if you think about it) and so the "top dogs" are going to get consistently mentioned if there are no other criteria other than "best camera".

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:20 AM
hiep
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

Sony has bought the Olympus camera division I heard a rumor but not sure.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:26 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

I don't care what the "Experts" have recommended. For a FF mirrorless camera, only 5 models have been made to this point and 4 are still in production. Sony makes 3 of these camera models (with the A7 no longer in production) making a total of 4 of the 5 cameras. The only other mirrorless FF camera to have been made is the Leica M240. So for a FF mirrorless camera your options are either Sony or Leica.

Rich

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:35 AM
bvphotos
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

I'm not surprised that the Fuji is favored a lot. I am partial to my X-E1 myself because of its image quality, even though I also shoot with the Sony (and the Canon, although far less now that I have the mirrorless setup).

Now if only Fuji would make a FF version without sacrificing the IQ, added IBIS, and made it at least as responsive as the A7II (I don't need the A6000's AF speed) I'd get it in a heartbeat.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:44 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

hiep wrote:
Sony has bought the Olympus camera division I heard a rumor but not sure.

Sony invested heavily in Olympus in 2012, and I think the 5-axis SteadyShot in the a7II is one of the fruits of that deal, but I haven't heard anything about an outright sale.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:45 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Best Mirrorless Cameras According to 30 Experts

freaklikeme wrote:
Sony invested heavily in Olympus in 2012, and I think the 5-axis SteadyShot in the a7II is one of the fruits of that deal, but I haven't heard anything about an outright sale.

I presume that is still the case. According to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_Corporation

17% of Olympus is owned by Sony and Mitsubishi. I didn't know that Nikon was owned and manufactured by Mistsubishi.

Rich

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:02 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.