New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Tripod Advice?

infosecgeek
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripod Advice?

Haven't had the need for a tripod in a long time since selling off my canon gear a few years back, but I want to do some landscapes/nightshots.

I just moved back from mirrorless to a D750, with Sigma Art 35mm & Sigma 70-200 2.8. I'm going to pick up a Nikon 85 1.8 and maybe the Sigma 24 Art.

Total with the body I don't think I'll ever go over 6-6.5lbs. Any preference on Tripods? I've been looking at the manfrotto Befree which comes with a ballhead. Thoughts?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1083150-REG/manfrotto_mkbfra4d_bh_befree_compact_travel_aluminum.html

Mar 19, 2015 at 04:06 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripod Advice?

I'm inclined to think that the best value tripods these days are the really excellent Gitzo knock offs (to be fair some of them come with some original design) by the various companies in China's Tripod City, Sirui and Benro. They both make great tripods with 1/4 turn twist locks which are quicker than flip locks to use and less likely to get caught (but of course full turn twist is slower than flip)

Benro's heads are not up to their tripods, in my view -- but Sirui heads are fine.
Oh -- Induro is just Benro by another name and is maybe more common if you are in the US?

Mar 19, 2015 at 05:02 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripod Advice?

I like Sirui tripods and Sunwayfoto heads.

Mar 19, 2015 at 05:23 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripod Advice?

I like Manfrotto.

But I think you are going to get a dozen different answers when it comes to tripods. The best bet for you? Get into a local Camera store and check them out yourself.

But I will say it comes down to what style of leg clamp do you like? Myself, I hate the twist lock, I much prefer the solid snap lock type. I think the twist lock are too prone to letting a leg slip if you aren't careful. Where as the snap lock type, it's either snapped or not. But again, that's my preference, maybe you don't care. In the end, you need to check them out yourself.

Also, if you are shooting landscape or night shots, 24mm really isn't that wide anymore. You might want to consider a 16-35mm or the 14-24mm lens.

Jim

Mar 19, 2015 at 05:32 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripod Advice?

I agree with Jim - if you're lucky enough to have a camera shop check them out and see if you can find a nice sturdy tripod. Don't put too much stock into the weight ratings either. Just because a tripod can hold 10 lbs doesn't necessarily mean that it can do so in a steady fashion (again, why it's nice to try them in person).

I do like some of the higher end Manfrottos, but my every day tripods are carbon fiber Gitzos. I use a 3 series with a Really Right Stuff BH 55 head - and it's solid no matter how hard then wind is blowing, how hard the waves are hitting, or how fast the stream flowing. It's overkill for most shots, but it's nice when you need it.

I also prefer tripods that extend taller than me - without a center column. Tall tripods are handy when the creek bottom is deeper than you think or when you're on a hill, rock, etc.

All that said, 90% or more of my shots are from a tripods (100% of my landscapes), so it's important to me to have a good set of sticks. For others, a tripod is a seldom used accessory.

Like Jim said, get ready for a lot of feedback - it all boils down to what you think will work for you. My only advice would be not to skimp - if you buy it right the first time it can last you forever.

Mar 19, 2015 at 05:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripod Advice?

DavidBM wrote:
I'm inclined to think that the best value tripods these days are the really excellent Gitzo knock offs (to be fair some of them come with some original design) by the various companies in China's Tripod City, Sirui and Benro. They both make great tripods with 1/4 turn twist locks which are quicker than flip locks to use and less likely to get caught (but of course full turn twist is slower than flip)

Benro's heads are not up to their tripods, in my view -- but Sirui heads are fine.
Oh -- Induro is just Benro by another name and is
...Show more

the induro is manufactured in a benro run factory but its a bit better the benro and controlled by the MAC Group in the US as far as design, QC and QA

Edited on Mar 19, 2015 at 07:38 PM · View previous versions

Mar 19, 2015 at 05:56 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripod Advice?

Another thing to consider is whether or not it has 3 or 4 sections.

I'll be darned if I can recall which one is usually considered the most stable. Getting old sux.

Anyway, I agree with the others, buy the best you can afford now or you'll be like many of us, spending way too much "upgrading" our tripods and heads until we finally get what works for us.

I have several tripods, but I only use 2. One is a Feisol carbon fibre and the other is a Manfrotto aluminum, IIRC. The Manfrotto is nice and heavy and it allows for the center column to be attached at 90 degrees, while the legs will lay down almost flat. It's great for macros and other low level shots. But, it will transmit the shutter shock waves at certain shutter speeds. I can remember taking some long time shots and feeling the shock wave from the shutter, clear down at the bottom of the legs.

Kerry

Edited on Mar 19, 2015 at 06:48 PM · View previous versions

Mar 19, 2015 at 06:36 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripod Advice?

my preference would be a used Gitzo - quite a few out there, tho maybe not your exact spec.

Mar 19, 2015 at 06:44 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tripod Advice?

if you have the money, i would get used gitzo legs and a good used ballhead (RSS, arca, markins, etc). If you ever need to resell, you won't lose much money.

Mar 19, 2015 at 06:54 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tripod Advice?

Here is one man's opinions, which I largely agree with: http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/camera-accessories/tripod-101.html

As for heads, your 70-200mm will work nicely in gimbal mode with an Acratech GV2. I find it a very convenient and useful setup.

Get an L-bracket for your D750 to use with the shorter lenses, and you'll be a happy camper.

If you start with a bargain tripod and head, you'll spend more money replacing them than just getting decent-to-great ones in the first place. I did, so you can learn from my mistake (one for which there is a lot of company )

Regarding the BeFree that you referenced, you'll likely find that it is not that stable, and certainly not tall enough (56.7" isn't that much - not even five feet), which would be typical of lightweight travel tripods. The head, if it is like the other manfrotto ball heads I've tried, will have significant movement when you tighten it, so precise framing will be difficult. And, I'm not a fan of the Manfrotto plate system; something in an arca-swiss compatible (sunway foto is a good place to start for good value and quality) is more stable and provides adequate anti-twist. Not to mention L-plates aren't available for the Manfrotto system, AFAIK.

Mar 19, 2015 at 07:52 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tripod Advice?

sjms wrote:
the induro is manufactured in a benro run factory but its a bit better the benro and controlled by the MAC Group in the US as far as design, QC and QA

That's what the MAC group, who distribute them say. I don't see any design difference at all - just some cosmetics. The QC and QA stuff might be true, but Benro (at least in the last few years) seems superb in that respect, and is widely respected in Asian markets. My guess - and it's only a guess - it that's just the kind of fluff that distributors who put new names on things and order them with cosmetic changes say. If I lived in the US though, I might prefer Induro just because there's likely better local service for them (Here in Australia you are better off with Benro for the same reason).

Mar 19, 2015 at 08:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tripod Advice?

actually i know the 2 gentlemen that pulled Induro out from its first year of disastrous design/manufacture . i regularly see them out to China.

Edited on Mar 19, 2015 at 10:39 PM · View previous versions

Mar 19, 2015 at 09:41 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tripod Advice?

I dunno, a Gitzo 2-Series will be excellent and last 20+ years easy. Buy and cry once, then be happy. That's my recommendation.

Mar 19, 2015 at 09:55 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tripod Advice?

i did the Gitzo thing a while back. i have 3 RRS models w/heads. no crying excellently made product (over all competitors at this point) and good support. my monopod is an Induro though. there is a more then subtle difference between Benro and Induro.

Edited on Mar 19, 2015 at 10:37 PM · View previous versions

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:03 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tripod Advice?

Check this out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655205-REG/Induro_471_214_Carbon_8X_CT214_Tripod.html

and they tend to run $100 rebate between May and June.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:32 PM
afm901
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tripod Advice?

Gitzo with a Markins head. I look at a tripod and head like I do any other long term purchase. I am willing to spend a little extra for the quality.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:59 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tripod Advice?

I have a predecessor to the BeFree. I like it for what it is and swapped the ballhead clamp to an AS compatible clamp for just over $30. However, I think the big problem is it's not up to use as a general use tripod with an ff dslr and a 70-200/2.8. I'd be a little concerned about the similar price/weight/size offerings from some of the other makers and especially hesitant to consider those with 5 leg sections. Now and then or as a light/travel tripod where you know the vibration/stability issues and still want the compact collapsed size, maybe.

Be wary of the 5 section leg tripods and some of the smallest ones have a fixed center post to get useful height (one has a removable post but that seriously reduces overall available height as a cost of the added stability). Extending a center post, if adjustable, upwards more than a little begins to cause stability concerns. Also some of the lightest, least expensive models have a less capable ballhead to keep weight and cost down.

working height, budget and and size/weight considerations for travel, if any, can help shape the suggestions

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:08 PM
pw-pix
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tripod Advice?

Don't overlook Feisol, well made and durable carbon fibre tripods at good prices.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:33 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tripod Advice?

First, what is your budget? If it's around the $200 mark like the link you posted, you can forget about carbon fiber. You would also be hard pressed to get a head that will handle your 70-200 properly. If you can swing $400 to $500 get a Manfrotto 190 series. If you can swing more, Gitzo 2 series and a Markins or Really Right Stuff head.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:58 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tripod Advice?

For me, nothing tops the Really Right Stuff Versa. I like the Gitzo Systematic leg locks a little better, but the Gitzo platform is cast instead of machined aluminum which I trust drastically less (this is true of most tripods, by the way). Really Right Stuff BH-55 is in my opinion the best head unless you can afford The Cube.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:04 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.