Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · variable ND filter that's clear when not rotated?

Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · variable ND filter that's clear when not rotated?

Of course, I am sure there isn't, but nonetheless hoping there is!

I want a variable ND filter that is clear when set a particular way, but reduces light when turned. The ones I have stop a minimum of ~2 stops when at their lightest setting, and about 6 stops at the strongest setting.

Thinking of LX-100 here.

Mar 19, 2015 at 06:44 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · variable ND filter that's clear when not rotated?

No Kit no such thing. They work by effectively stacking a couple of polarisers on top of each other to variably cancel each other out (ie the first polarizer lets in only light Polarized in one direction, then the second polarizer works in letting through to different degrees only light polarized in another direction.
But polarizsers at any setting lose some light, usually more than a stop, so it's impreessive that these things can get down to two stops min.

Don't know which one you have but the cheap ones are nasty and the expensive ones really expensive. there have been some grat deals on Amazon for the Marumi DHG which was about the best value decent one, reduced from a couple of hundred to sixty bucks (I think a lot of people are put off them by the crazy aberrations they generate on wide angle lenses if you turn them up too high, but if you are careful they are about as good as decent plain NDs)

Mar 19, 2015 at 07:00 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.