New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikon DF + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E Series

versello

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon DF + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E Series

So I've been looking around for a cheap lens to mess around and have some fun with. I've always heard others say to stay far away from Nikon's E Series lens, but for $58 shipped in mint condition with its original box and caps, I figured "why not?"

First thing, wow... this lens is tiny! Perfect travel size for my upcoming trip!

Second thing, although I didn't have enough time to test the lens before the sun went down, it's "pretty sharp" for $58! Nowhere near as sharp as my Zeiss 50mm f/2 MP, but that came with a hefty price tag and weighs like a brick.

Here's an obligatory shot taken at f/1.8, focused on the Deer Park logo:

Now I'm contemplating picking up the 100mm E lens too! What other super cheap glass is recommended?

Mar 18, 2015 at 09:29 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon DF + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E Series

Most of the E series lenses were quite good. IIRC, the 100mm was one of the best. Very compact for its focal length too.

Enjoy

Mar 18, 2015 at 09:40 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon DF + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E Series

Check out the manual focus thread for suggestions There's a bunch of super cheap non-ai and E series glass that works with the DF.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:48 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon DF + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E Series

man if I'm going 50 on that body I'm going 1.8 G for ~`$150 used..why settle for less IQ?

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:10 AM
versello

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon DF + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E Series

chuhsi1 wrote:
Check out the manual focus thread for suggestions There's a bunch of super cheap non-ai and E series glass that works with the DF.

Thanks! I'll check out the manual focus thread!

---------------------------------------------

Kell wrote:
man if I'm going 50 on that body I'm going 1.8 G for ~`$150 used..why settle for less IQ?

I hear ya, and I'm debating if I should pick up the 1.8G, but none of my AF lenses give me the same joy (or pains) as using manual focus glass. There's something therapeutic it.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:27 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon DF + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E Series

I just recently got the 50mm E as well along with my other 58 and 20mm. By f2.8 its actually starts to approach peak, by f4 its at peak.

Its so small, almost pancake-like. Its got a super smooth focus ring which you can focus with just your left pointer finger...its pretty fun!

shot with 50mm f1.8 E

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:35 PM
jsv_20
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon DF + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E Series

Wait till you try the 50mm f/1.8s MKII (also known as the metal version of the Series E). It was a gem only sold in the Japanese market. I have owned two copies. I even tried it on my Sony a7 and it delivered the goods...

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/50mmnikkor/index6.htm

Mar 19, 2015 at 04:14 PM
rickde

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon DF + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E Series

jsv_20 wrote:
Wait till you try the 50mm f/1.8s MKII (also known as the metal version of the Series E). It was a gem only sold in the Japanese market. I have owned two copies. I even tried it on my Sony a7 and it delivered the goods...

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/50mmnikkor/index6.htm

I have a late model AI-S 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor, all metal. It is extremely sharp. Tried it on a D800 last weekend and it rocked! I also have a 20mm f/4 AI-D. Basically the "Galen Rowell" lens. Its very small, all metal also. A fun lens but not super sharp on the edges on the D800, even stopped down. But its a decent lens for an FX camera. Finally I have a super sharp MF Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI-S.

I looked at and handled a Df today in my local camera store. Very nice camera. I really don't understand why some people dissed the camera. I really like the design. It has some heft in your hand to it also, even before you put a lens on it. I actually like the fact that it is designed only for stills. I love all the dedicated control knobs and buttons. I might even buy one! It would mate nicely with the new 20mm F/1.8 AF-S Nikkor! It would also be perfect with my old AI-S MF lenses.

Edited on Mar 19, 2015 at 07:42 PM · View previous versions

Mar 19, 2015 at 07:30 PM
Coltrane
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon DF + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E Series

I have the 50mm 1.8 E and its certainly a good lens, but the 100mm 2.8 E is a great lens. In my opinion the 100mm 2.8 E is Nikon's best E lens, and one of the most underrated lenses in the Nikon lineup. Other excellent inexpensive Nikon lenses are the 50mm 1.8 AIS (long nose / I believe the serial number should start with a 3), the 35mm f2 AI/S and the 200mm f/4 AI/S.

Mar 19, 2015 at 07:34 PM
versello

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon DF + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E Series

@low325 - Those are gorgeous looking lenses. Doesn't hurt that those photos are also nicely done!

@jsv_20 - What's the difference between Mk II and Mk III aside from the different material in focus ring and slightly closer min focus distance? Is the Mk II optically better?

@rickde - I agree, the Df is a great stills camera. There are many good things about it except the AF. I miss my D700's AF dearly.

Mar 19, 2015 at 08:14 PM
Spectro
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon DF + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E Series

The 75-150 3.5e is also very good. Constant 3.5 aperture and very good IQ. Some say it was almost a mistake by Nikon to make a budget lens with such good IQ.

Mar 19, 2015 at 09:33 PM
rickde

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon DF + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E Series

versello wrote:
@low325 - Those are gorgeous looking lenses. Doesn't hurt that those photos are also nicely done!

@jsv_20 - What's the difference between Mk II and Mk III aside from the different material in focus ring and slightly closer min focus distance? Is the Mk II optically better?

@rickde - I agree, the Df is a great stills camera. There are many good things about it except the AF. I miss my D700's AF dearly.

I would like to see Nikon release a Df2 with the D4s 51 point AF module. I was thinking it would be amazing if Nikon could put IBIS (in-body image stabilization) into a Df2. Imagine having IS with all of your existing MF and non-VR Nikkor AF lenses! Other than that I like the Df design. It just needs a few tweaks here and there in the ergonomics. Having IBIS would make a Df2 sell like crazy Nikon.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:46 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon DF + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E Series

versello wrote:

thanks versello. havent had much time to play with the new acquisitions yet since im trying to fight this cold.

Rickde - an upgraded af or IBIS would be nice on the Df, but I think it would lose its purpose of the 'slow down approach'. A lot of folks really enjoy the Df for that purpose as it reviving photography of the old days since one can mount pre-ai lenses on it. I also find it great to challenge yourself to get sharp photographs without relying on technology. I think the only thing missing on the Df is 1/8000th. (yes there are ND filers) I can live with everything else the Df has and doesnt.

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:59 PM
versello

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon DF + Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E Series

@low325 - Sorry to hear about your cold.

I used to think the lack of 1/8000th shutter would be detrimental, but it has never been an issue with my type of shooting (landscape & travel). When I had a D700, I never went above 1/4000th. To each his own!

Mar 20, 2015 at 04:25 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.