FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Aurora from 41°N

Cookies
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Aurora from 41°N

Not in the same league as Hardcore's recent images but this is the best we got down here in coastal Massachusetts. Taken just after twilight ended around 8pm EDT from the shore of a frozen lake near my home. Canon 6D, 14mm 2.8

Thanks for lookin'
Chris

http://www.abmedia.com/astro/current/aurora-031715.jpg

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:57 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Aurora from 41°N

Hey Chris,

More than anything, I like the sky in this. It's cool you got a bit of the aurora in it, but the nice sharp stars and the toning of the sky really make this work. Now I do think there is an issue in the lower left corner of this. It appears to be out focus, is there an issue with the lens?

One suggestion considering the OOF area, and I know it hurts to think about cropping out stars when we are shooting wide to get more stars... but I would crop in from the left and right and bottom. I think the ice pattern thats lit up more is kind of compelling for a foreground. And with the higher resolution that we shoot at today, and for how tricky it can be to get good DOF when shooting at night, it won't hurt to then just crop off the OOF area. Yes, you would lose some sky, but I think the finished image will still look great, and can still feel wide.

Jim

Mar 18, 2015 at 02:32 PM
Cookies
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Aurora from 41°N

Hi Jim,

There's nothing wrong with the lens, I was shooting about 1ft above the ice so my tripod didn't blow over. Winds were gusting to 50mph! In hindsight, I should've taken a shot with the ice in focus and then blended the two together. Oh well, next time.

Chris

Mar 18, 2015 at 06:57 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Aurora from 41°N

Cris,
Not sure how i missed this one. It is sweet. That sky is just WOW

Mar 18, 2015 at 08:14 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Aurora from 41°N

Cookies wrote:
Hi Jim,

There's nothing wrong with the lens, I was shooting about 1ft above the ice so my tripod didn't blow over. Winds were gusting to 50mph! In hindsight, I should've taken a shot with the ice in focus and then blended the two together. Oh well, next time.

Chris

Yeah, I love the rest of the shot. Maybe just crop the bottom off where it is OOF and let this go to a pano format? Shooting with it windy is no joke, you had spikes too on your tripod?

Jim

Mar 18, 2015 at 09:10 PM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Aurora from 41°N

Just love that sky!

May 20, 2015 at 05:20 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.