New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Lee Foundation Kit Holder

khurram1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lee Foundation Kit Holder

I have been using a Lee Wide Angle Filter hood (holds two 4x6 or 4x4 size filters), since 2000 and have been very happy with it. I use the hood with the Lee wide angle adaptor rings (77mm & 82mm) and i don't get any vignetting with my 16-35mm lens or 24-70mm lenses.

I'm looking for something more compact that takes up less room in my camera bag and wanted to get some feedback on the Lee Foundation kit holder. Will using that with the wide angle adaptor ring also avoid vignetting with ultra-wide angle lenses

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:39 PM
dlabrecque
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lee Foundation Kit Holder

I find a really big hat works just fine.

Mar 19, 2015 at 04:03 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lee Foundation Kit Holder

dlabrecque wrote:
I find a really big hat works just fine.

I think you misinterpreted my question. I'm not looking for a way to prevent flare with the foundation filter holder, or asking if there will be flare if i use the regular Lee foundation holder, versus the wide angel filter holder hood.

I just want to konw if the regular foundation filter holder holder itself is designed to avoid vignetting when used with ultra-wide lenses. I had read years ago that the Cokin and Lee filter holders vignette when used with ultra-wide lenses.

Mar 19, 2015 at 04:39 PM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lee Foundation Kit Holder

I've always thought the actually holder was the same between the foundation kit holder and the foundation kit holder + wide angle hood. To ensure less/little/no vignetting, you just need the wide angle adapter. I wouldn't think the two holders were different, one just comes with a wide adjustable hood. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also you can set the foundation kit without hood to have two slots instead of three. It should then function identical I think.

Mar 19, 2015 at 07:32 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lee Foundation Kit Holder

drewmey wrote:
I've always thought the actually holder was the same between the foundation kit holder and the foundation kit holder + wide angle hood. To ensure less/little/no vignetting, you just need the wide angle adapter. I wouldn't think the two holders were different, one just comes with a wide adjustable hood. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also you can set the foundation kit without hood to have two slots instead of three. It should then function identical I think.

I have never seen the foundation kit. I first purchased the wide angle hood around 2000 and have replaced it 3 times. The wide angle hood is a stand alone kit and doesn't attache to the foundation kit. The hood has filter holders built in and simply attaches to the lens, using the ring adaptors. When i bought it i was told it limits vignetting more than the regular foundation kit. I've made all purchased via mail/internet orders, so never actually compared them before.

Mar 19, 2015 at 08:59 PM
tpothen

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lee Foundation Kit Holder

I just purchased the Foundation kit and the wide angle adapter ring for my Nikon 16-35, I've taken about 100 shots I haven't had any vignetting at 16mm.

Mar 19, 2015 at 09:29 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lee Foundation Kit Holder

tpothen wrote:
I just purchased the Foundation kit and the wide angle adapter ring for my Nikon 16-35, I've taken about 100 shots I haven't had any vignetting at 16mm.

thanks! i'll pick one up than.

Mar 19, 2015 at 09:33 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lee Foundation Kit Holder

The foundation kit mounted on a 21mm via an 82-mm wide angle adapter doesn't cause vignetting at f/9.
however, before you invest in the f-kit, make sure your lens doesn't cause vignette at the aperture ranges you commonly used.
i have a 17 -35 mm lens but unfortunately don't have the required 72mm wide angle adapter to test for you.

Mar 19, 2015 at 09:43 PM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lee Foundation Kit Holder

khurram1 wrote:
I have never seen the foundation kit. I first purchased the wide angle hood around 2000 and have replaced it 3 times. The wide angle hood is a stand alone kit and doesn't attache to the foundation kit. The hood has filter holders built in and simply attaches to the lens, using the ring adaptors. When i bought it i was told it limits vignetting more than the regular foundation kit. I've made all purchased via mail/internet orders, so never actually compared them before.

Gotcha, I had the standard hood for a short while and it was simply a hood that slid into the third slot of a foundation kit. That's why I assumed the wide angle version was the same. Sorry. I will say my 77mm wide angle adapter with regular foundation kit still works well with my Canon 16-35 f4.

Mar 20, 2015 at 05:59 AM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lee Foundation Kit Holder

thanks tntcorp and drewmey for your replies! Sound like i should be fine. I've got the 16-35 f4 as well one that was my main concern.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:12 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lee Foundation Kit Holder

khurram1 wrote:
thanks tntcorp and drewmey for your replies! Sound like i should be fine. I've got the 16-35 f4 as well one that was my main concern.

Another thing I think I remember reading about the new 16-35 f4 IS is that the distance between the thread and the glass is shorter than the 16-35 f2.8. This should result in less vignetting when using a Lee Filter system. I don't own them both to compare though.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:10 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.