Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

SchnellerGT
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

Neither.

Wait for the 5D IV...
-New Canon+Sony Sensor
-Size/weight of 6D
-Improved 5D III AF
-6 fps minimum
-Dual card slots
-WiFi
-All the other goodies...

Mar 19, 2015 at 09:11 PM
ilikeglass
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

SchnellerGT wrote:
Neither.

Wait for the 5D IV...
-New Canon+Sony Sensor
-Size/weight of 6D
-Improved 5D III AF
-6 fps minimum
-Dual card slots
-WiFi
-All the other goodies...

Perhaps you missed the part where the OP mentioned he doesn't have unlimited funds? Even at 2K the 5D3 is difficult for him to justify. I make my gear pay for itself and buying bodies at the end of the product life cycle makes sense. I just picked up a 5D3 for $1,950 and got my 5D2 five years ago when the prices were dropping. Excellent values and ROI.

Mar 21, 2015 at 07:54 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

Both great cameras but the 5D3 is definitely the better pro tool and worth the extra for in-camera backup and more versatile AF system

Mar 21, 2015 at 07:58 AM
AlleninATL

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

Im convinced that the 5D3 is it for me. I have a shoot next weekend and Im going t rent the 5D3 and use my 70-200 on it for an engagement session. Gonna see what this thing is all about and then dropmthe cash on it. Ive seen some usee ones with very low actuations on the shutter going at pretty good prices.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:58 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

AlleninATL wrote:
Im convinced that the 5D3 is it for me. I have a shoot next weekend and Im going t rent the 5D3 and use my 70-200 on it for an engagement session. Gonna see what this thing is all about and then dropmthe cash on it. Ive seen some usee ones with very low actuations on the shutter going at pretty good prices.

Then you should try and find the time to Microadjust the lens, can make a big difference

Mar 21, 2015 at 01:00 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

jcolwell wrote:
As I hinted in your other thread on lenses, I'd probably get the 5DIII. Later, I'd pick up a 1DIV or 7DII if I wanted to get a bit more focused on sports.

I agree with Jim plus will add that you should not overlook the 1DSIII instead of the 6D/5DIII. It is still a great camera. Jim

Mar 21, 2015 at 01:03 PM
AlleninATL

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

Then you should try and find the time to Microadjust the lens, can make a big difference

Is that a difficult process? Im gonna rent it Friday. The shoot is Sunday so Ill have some time.

Mar 21, 2015 at 01:04 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

I can't see a reason why you should not buy the 5D III.

Have EOSfun

Mar 21, 2015 at 01:45 PM
newseum
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

I shot with the 5D3 for awhile, then sold,it. Picked up a canon refurbished 6D. That's what I do, jump around with bodies. But lenses are forever.

My point is, if you need any kind of buffer, then don't get the 6D. It was so slow, the next cheerleading event my daughter did, I rented a 7DII from lens rentals(awesome experience, those folks). It was like going from a black powder rifle to a 20mm chain gun.

And I'm a new fan of canon refurbished. I mean, the stuff looks brand new, and is spot on.

And the 7DII from lens rentals, dot tuned with my 70-200mm II, was a solid tone on all focal lengths right out of the shipping box.

Mar 21, 2015 at 01:53 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

I don't really advocate waiting for new bodies unless it seems like an announcement is imminent. That's not the case with the 5DIV. You also end up paying the new camera price and end up having to play beta tester. The 5DIII is a great camera and the quirks have been worked out by this point. It can also be had for around $2k.

For professional work, I would highly recommend the 5DIII over the 6D. You get a much more robust AF system, dual card slots, etc. My only large complaint with the 5DIII at this point is that spot metering is not tied to the AF points. That alone might push me toward a 1D body. Not a huge deal though; you can work around it.

I have purchased several bodies (5D2 and 5D3) and lenses from Canon Refurbished and have never experienced problems. They all have appeared new. In fact, one could even make the argument that Canon refurb is better than new, since the equipment has been through a more strict inspection process (from what I gather).

Mar 21, 2015 at 02:06 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

AlleninATL wrote:
Is that a difficult process? Im gonna rent it Friday. The shoot is Sunday so Ill have some time.

Not with only one lens. As that is a tele any issues will show up badly, so taking half an hour would be worth it if it's for a paid job

Mar 21, 2015 at 02:50 PM
AlleninATL

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

not a paid job next week. doing it for a friend and to get practice with the 5D3

Mar 21, 2015 at 03:59 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.