Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

AlleninATL

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

Currently I am using the 50D for weddings and portraits and want to get into shooting sports as well. The 50D has been a great tool for me and it has served me well, but it is time to upgrade the body. I am looking at the 6D and the MK III as my upgrade. I love shooting natural light and have read a lot about both cameras at high ISO.

If you were me, what would YOU do? Opinions? Discuss...

Mar 17, 2015 at 04:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

As I hinted in your other thread on lenses, I'd probably get the 5DIII. Later, I'd pick up a 1DIV or 7DII if I wanted to get a bit more focused on sports.

Mar 17, 2015 at 05:00 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

What do you take photos of? What is the priority subject?

Mar 17, 2015 at 05:00 PM
AlleninATL

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

well, I USED to be a wedding phtigrapher and portrait photographer full time abd now I want to get back in the game. My wife wants to shoot as well so I will be mentoring her along until she can take over the business. So, weddings/portraits mostly but I also want to shoot some youth sports (baseball, football, basketball) once we get the wedding business running smoothly.

You can see some of my recent work at www.rachelallenphotography.com if you wish. Most images on that site shot with 50D and 24-70 or 70-200.

Mar 17, 2015 at 05:05 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

Easy for me. 6D as I can't afford the 5D3. 😀

But it just comes down to what features you have to have. I don't really need the focus control the 5D3 has or the better video. Heck, if I could make the 6D cheaper by not having the video, I would. Do a side by side comparison and then decide which has more pluses for you. You can always use that extra money ud save on a 6D towards some nice primes. That'd be my advice.

Edited to say if you plan on doing sports, the 5D3 may be more of what you need.
Another option is to get a 6D and a used 1D mk 2 or 3. Hide can be had fairly cheap.

Edited on Mar 17, 2015 at 05:10 PM · View previous versions

Mar 17, 2015 at 05:06 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

For weddings, the 5d3 is the much better choice. The focus and dual card slots alone make it worth it. 98% of the images on my site are taken with it:
Http://www.phildweddingphotography.co.uk

My backup camera is a 6d. If I need a bit more ISO or low ISO dynamic range, I'll use it, otherwise the 5d3..

Mar 17, 2015 at 05:09 PM
AlleninATL

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
For weddings, the 5d3 is the much better choice. The focus and dual card slots alone make it worth it. 98% of the images on my site are taken with it:
Http://www.phildweddingphotography.co.uk

My backup camera is a 6d. If I need a bit more ISO or low ISO dynamic range, I'll use it, otherwise the 5d3..

AWSOME work, Phil!!

Mar 17, 2015 at 05:12 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

Thank you

Mar 17, 2015 at 05:15 PM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

Weddings is a no brainer

5d3

Mar 17, 2015 at 06:05 PM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

The only real reason to pick the 6D is budget constraints. The 5DIII is better at most things.

Mar 17, 2015 at 06:15 PM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

The only real reason to pick the 6D is budget constraints. The 5DIII is better at most things.

Mar 17, 2015 at 06:15 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

There is no mention of a budgetary constraint, so the 5DIII is the only choice between those two.

Mar 17, 2015 at 06:21 PM
AlleninATL

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

dont get me wrong...Im gonna stretch it getting the 5D3 as my budget isnt great. However, I want the best tool that I can buy, even at a stretch, for my work. Besides, the price on this camera is dropping fast!

Mar 17, 2015 at 06:52 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

5D3. AF would be worth it.
Chris

Mar 17, 2015 at 07:02 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

5d3 .... but, if you are stretching your budget to pick it up .... think through your lens situation before the purchase.

Mar 17, 2015 at 07:05 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

For a paying assignment, you would want a camera with a backup memory card.

Failure to have a reasonable backup solution coupled with a card failure and loss of images might cost you a lawsuit from a unhappy bride. It might be pretty easy for a attorney to show negligence in not having a backup. Having a 2nd shooter helps, but that shooter might be shooting different things from you. No matter what, it could cost you a lot more than just the difference in camera price.

Mar 17, 2015 at 07:40 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

AlleninATL wrote:
Currently I am using the 50D for weddings and portraits and want to get into shooting sports as well. The 50D has been a great tool for me and it has served me well, but it is time to upgrade the body. I am looking at the 6D and the MK III as my upgrade. I love shooting natural light and have read a lot about both cameras at high ISO.

If you were me, what would YOU do? Opinions? Discuss...

You sound more like a 5DIII candidate to me, especially with the sports interest. You could do these things with the 6D if you want to save some money.

scalesusa wrote:
For a paying assignment, you would want a camera with a backup memory card.

And a backup camera. And lenses. And flash. And perhaps an assistant. ;-)

Dan

Edited on Mar 17, 2015 at 08:56 PM · View previous versions

Mar 17, 2015 at 07:49 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

Portraits, weddings and sports. Sounds to me like you need a jack of all trades camera. That'd ideally be the 5D3. Keep the 50D as a backup.

Mar 17, 2015 at 08:15 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

Get the 5D3, I'll repeat...

Not to stomp on the 6D 'at all' but if you must have more that 'just' the center AF point for your paid work, which weddings and some sports usually require, then getting a 6D would kind of be like having a shootout between someone with a sniper rifle and you with a peashooter; and that's just for stills.

If you plan on adding any video with sound, which lots of brides/grooms want these days then you best get the better video body as well and only the 5D Mark III gets you the complete package. Everything you need except perhaps a good quality microphone is already there.

I'm getting a 6D for a few reasons, my budget is tight, I shoot just fine with 'only' the center AF point, I'm looking to really lighten up my kit and the WiFi just might help given my disability. In addition, I rarely shoot anything moving, mostly my eye is on flowers, gardens and city/land/seascapes. For action a 7D and 1DMk2N are dedicated to that duty.

The 5D3 at 2K or so, IMHO, is the best all around Canon mount shooter currently available.

Cheers,
Jerry

Mar 17, 2015 at 08:28 PM
noladave

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · lets open up a can o worms...6D or 5D3?

I haven't shot with the 6d, but I did have a 7d, and felt that it wasn't up to getting quick focus sports shots. I decided to go with the 5d III, and I don't regret a single moment. The quick focus ability is really the big advantage, and works well with zooms. I use only 2 lenses with it - Sigma 120-300 2.8 (original, non is version, about 7 years old), and the new 100-400 mk II.

I hardly ever use my 7d now, but do keep it as a backup, and keep my 70-200 2.8 L on it, for anything that doesn't need the reach of a 300 or 400 lens.

good luck on your decision. Examples below

Daytime pics: (Sunday pics)
http://wavebaseball.com/webalbums/TulanevsXavier3/index.html

Nightime pics: (Tuesday night)
http://wavebaseball.com/webalbums/TulanevsSoutheastern/index.html

Mar 18, 2015 at 06:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.