New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Steampunk Tough Guy

Boss302
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Steampunk Tough Guy

Had a group photo shoot outing. My first experience with "Steampunk." I felt like this tough guy needed dramatic light. One speedlight w umbrella. Not much room to work with. It's one of my favorites of the day.

Steampunk Tough Guy

Mar 16, 2015 at 09:54 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Steampunk Tough Guy

Just a friendly suggestion: if you want dramatic light, use less of it. If all you have is an umbrella, collapse it and use it like a snoot to focus and direct the light onto his face, and dial it back a bit. Then jack the clarity to boost contrast (assuming you use Lightroom or Camera Raw in Photoshop). Again, just a suggestion for future consideration.

Now for a question: what's that thing he's holding??

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:13 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Steampunk Tough Guy

I love the steampunk look. Very cool designs and capture.

Maybe more drama if you shot him lower and upward? Just a suggestion, I have used it for some pictures (especially costumes / cosplay etc) and sometimes it works really well. Sometimes I wonder why I tried it.

Steve: A mechanical hand or I believe they call it automale (armored appendage). Sorry, I am a nerd.

Mar 17, 2015 at 07:20 AM
Boss302
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Steampunk Tough Guy

Steve Wylie wrote:
Just a friendly suggestion: if you want dramatic light, use less of it. If all you have is an umbrella, collapse it and use it like a snoot to focus and direct the light onto his face, and dial it back a bit. Then jack the clarity to boost contrast (assuming you use Lightroom or Camera Raw in Photoshop). Again, just a suggestion for future consideration.

Now for a question: what's that thing he's holding??

I will go back and revisit the clarity/contrast (I use both CR and LR) and that's a great idea for the umbrella, read that somewhere else before too - I will keep it in mind for next time! Just didn't know what to expect at this event, it was my first time out with this photo group and models - apparently the props and accessories are very important in their dress/presentation - this gentleman had all kinds of over-sized mock guns, mechanical hand, industrial looking wine glasses to drink from - a whole bag of stuff. He was so nice and funny too

Mar 17, 2015 at 08:06 AM
Boss302
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Steampunk Tough Guy

mikekeating wrote:
I love the steampunk look. Very cool designs and capture.

Maybe more drama if you shot him lower and upward? Just a suggestion, I have used it for some pictures (especially costumes / cosplay etc) and sometimes it works really well. Sometimes I wonder why I tried it.

Steve: A mechanical hand or I believe they call it automale (armored appendage). Sorry, I am a nerd.

Hey Mike - that too is a good suggestion and will put that in the notebook for the future.

Here is one from the outdoor portion, it was very dreary day and if I could go back I would do a couple of things different on this one (camera settings) but I like the theme, pose and the "attitude" put out by the young ladies.

Mar 17, 2015 at 08:14 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Steampunk Tough Guy

That train shot is marvellous. Love the attitude too. Pity about the bridge.

Mar 17, 2015 at 09:46 AM
cleyvosier

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Steampunk Tough Guy

The 1st photo was good considering the limitations you have

Mar 17, 2015 at 05:22 PM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Steampunk Tough Guy

I like them....given the overcast, I might have tried some flash on them to brighten just a bit.....

Mar 19, 2015 at 07:57 PM
Boss302
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Steampunk Tough Guy

Herb wrote:
I like them....given the overcast, I might have tried some flash on them to brighten just a bit.....

Thank you. Had only one speedlight. Thought I had it turned up higher.

Mar 19, 2015 at 08:35 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.