Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Clamshell lighting, bigger light top or bottom?

kymira

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Clamshell lighting, bigger light top or bottom?

Is there a general rule of thumb with the regards to the subject. Ive read conflicting articles and tutorials, others maintain to have the larger modifier or light source from the bottom and others say top?

Im sure alot of it is just personal preference, how do you guys feel?

Mar 16, 2015 at 08:00 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Clamshell lighting, bigger light top or bottom?

I suppose it could go either way, you just have to factor in the modifiers you're using and the type of key or fill light you're going for. I typically use a 22" beauty dish, or 2x3' softbox above, and either a second 2x3' softbox below (rarely) or just a collapsible reflector (yes, I know it's not a light...but it serves the same purpose (fill)).

Mar 16, 2015 at 08:06 PM
kymira

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Clamshell lighting, bigger light top or bottom?

thanks tdlavigne

Are you using the silver side of the reflector or the white?

Mar 16, 2015 at 08:17 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Clamshell lighting, bigger light top or bottom?

It isn't so much how large the modifier is on the bottom but the position of it and the ratio of fill. For Butterfly or Clam Shell lighting, you don't want the bottom or fill to overpower the key. Otherwise you will get a bit of an up lighted or ghoulish look. I like to use a beauty dish on top and a medium of strip box under. But a white reflector is nice also. Silver is a bit much.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:52 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Clamshell lighting, bigger light top or bottom?

The ratio is what is most important. If you must have an answer it is the larger one like any fill light. This is because the very last thing you want is a fill light casting any obvious shadows (because all lights off camera cast some shadow.) that is the main light's job.

I never use fill light. Try without any fill first and see what you think, don't use it because you feel you have to.

Mar 17, 2015 at 07:51 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Clamshell lighting, bigger light top or bottom?

Clamshell is typically used for beauty shots. The point of the lower light is to diminish the shadows below the chin. I use a strip box and feather the light onto the neck instead of pointing the light directly toward the neck. The lower you place the light, the smaller the catchlight is in the bottom part of the iris. Sometimes catchlights in both the top and bottom of the iris becomes too much of a good thing, but that's relative to the photographer's aesthetic.

Mar 17, 2015 at 08:27 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Clamshell lighting, bigger light top or bottom?

kymira wrote:
thanks tdlavigne

Are you using the silver side of the reflector or the white?

Usually white, just far enough that it fills in the shadows under the chin. Silver is a bit too bright and contrasty for how I shoot.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:04 PM
kymira

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Clamshell lighting, bigger light top or bottom?

Gregg Heckler wrote:
you don't want the bottom or fill to overpower the key. Otherwise you will get a bit of an up lighted or ghoulish look. I like to use a beauty dish on top and a medium of strip box under.

---------------------------------------------

Mark_L wrote:
If you must have an answer it is the larger one like any fill light. This is because the very last thing you want is a fill light casting any obvious shadows

Deezie wrote:
I use a strip box and feather the light onto the neck instead of pointing the light directly toward the neck. The lower you place the light, the smaller the catchlight is in the bottom part of the iris.

Thanks guys. That all makes perfect sense now.

I'll try it with my gridded softbox & reflector which is what I currently have available & see how it goes. much appreciated.

Mar 18, 2015 at 01:29 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Clamshell lighting, bigger light top or bottom?

Gregg Heckler wrote:
It isn't so much how large the modifier is on the bottom but the position of it and the ratio of fill. For Butterfly or Clam Shell lighting, you don't want the bottom or fill to overpower the key. Otherwise you will get a bit of an up lighted or ghoulish look. I like to use a beauty dish on top and a medium of strip box under. But a white reflector is nice also. Silver is a bit much.

There are circumstances, btw, that underlight can express glamour. One example is in the context of a water or pool scene.

Mar 19, 2015 at 05:09 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.