Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Lacrosse Action Photo Sales - Worth it?

DPC1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lacrosse Action Photo Sales - Worth it?

I was approached by one of my clients (that has purchased club soccer T&I and action photos from me in the past) to photograph her daughter's recreational LAX team.

I've seen a lot of great lacrosse pics in this forum. Are you selling these photos to the parents? If so, how's it going? Or should I expect the same market as all the other youth sports (little league, etc..)

Mar 16, 2015 at 05:46 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lacrosse Action Photo Sales - Worth it?

Here is my philosophy on action. ... FWIW...

Why does one great action photographer get asked to do action?

Because one thousand even better businessmen have turned it down already.

That being said... run away. Worst of the worst. Totally saturated with no sideline restrictions. Only niche still active... iso 6400 and up events with restricted access and view stations with downtime to buy and that being said... only huge premier events.

Mar 16, 2015 at 05:54 PM
DPC1
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lacrosse Action Photo Sales - Worth it?

Thanks Paul. Figured so much, so thanks for the reality check!

I'll pitch a fix priced to shoot a team photo and action photos. I won't hold my breath... but I'll feel better if she says "no" instead of me. If you guys see any LAX pics from me, you'll know how it went.

In the meantime.. Any tips for shooting LAX?

Mar 16, 2015 at 06:12 PM
sandjunkie

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lacrosse Action Photo Sales - Worth it?

I only shoot my boys teams for fun and because I know the boys and families on the teams. For all of the time and few keepers, I can't see how it would be worth it.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:16 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lacrosse Action Photo Sales - Worth it?

Give your client your price. If your rate is $50/hour and it takes you 5 hours to shoot, edit and burn images, ask for $250 and let that be your answer. Frankly, I quoted a bit more than that for a few football and basketball games and got it. In both of those venues, my (my equipment) capabilities led me to ask for a premium (kinda what Paul talks about with high ISO where you can eliminate most parent with a camera competition). Good luck.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:13 PM
DPC1
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lacrosse Action Photo Sales - Worth it?

Cool, thanks sandjunkie!

@timgangloff - Solid advice! I was thinking about bundling it with an 8x10" team photo since that league doesn't do T&I photos (just yet.. working on it

Mar 17, 2015 at 01:07 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lacrosse Action Photo Sales - Worth it?

P Alesse wrote:
Here is my philosophy on action. ... FWIW...

Why does one great action photographer get asked to do action?

Because one thousand even better businessmen have turned it down already.

That being said... run away. Worst of the worst. Totally saturated with no sideline restrictions. Only niche still active... iso 6400 and up events with restricted access and view stations with downtime to buy and that being said... only huge premier events.

^^
but if someone pays you $250 for shooting a lacrosse game then why not take the money and run
I shoot "occasional' college lacrosse because my wife and children graduated from the school and the field is near my house. - and the players and coach like the Flickr pics

Mar 17, 2015 at 07:07 AM
DPC1
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lacrosse Action Photo Sales - Worth it?

@CW100 - the original proposal wasn't for pay. It was more like "Can you please come out to photograph the game and then you can sell the pics to the parents..?" This of course without any guarantee of payment, so my original post was to see if maybe, just maybe shooting LAX action was different from the other youth sports. Turns out.... It's not.

Are you selling the photos that you post online?

Mar 17, 2015 at 01:35 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lacrosse Action Photo Sales - Worth it?

I was advising under the assumption that he was asked to shoot on spec.

Mar 17, 2015 at 04:05 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lacrosse Action Photo Sales - Worth it?

DPC1 wrote:
@CW100 - the original proposal wasn't for pay. It was more like "Can you please come out to photograph the game and then you can sell the pics to the parents..?" This of course without any guarantee of payment, so my original post was to see if maybe, just maybe shooting LAX action was different from the other youth sports. Turns out.... It's not.

Are you selling the photos that you post online?

no, the university has game photos on their sports website and they upload to an unrestricted smugmug account. There are other people there photographing the game so I would think it's a very limited market for selling photos. Like P Alesse indicated, the market for sports pix is where they don't allow riff raff like me access to the games !

Mar 17, 2015 at 04:37 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lacrosse Action Photo Sales - Worth it?

Tell him you will do it for free with the caveats of beer, pepperoncinis and pizza for life

Apr 08, 2015 at 04:17 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lacrosse Action Photo Sales - Worth it?

I shoot individual games every once in a while when parents ask. I charge $150 - $250 for a game and I just burn the photos to a DVD and call it good. I always collect payment prior to shooting a game and I do not post any photos on line until payment is collected. I do not shoot a game, post on line and try to sell. I have never had any luck with that.

Jeff

Apr 11, 2015 at 08:22 AM
Corillien
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lacrosse Action Photo Sales - Worth it?

jmcaverly wrote:
I do not shoot a game, post on line and try to sell. I have never had any luck with that.

Jeff

That's what I tried to do last year with little league, and what I'm more or less doing again this year. Really need to try some other ways, like what you've suggested. Just not sure how to go about effectively marketing it I guess.

Apr 13, 2015 at 09:20 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.