New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · A small camera to complement a full DSLR or mirrorless set up

Sal Baker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A small camera to complement a full DSLR or mirrorless set up

The GR is my 18mm lens (with a camera attached) in my jeans pocket. Longer and shorter primes reside on my X-E2. Very nice travel combo.

Sal

Mar 17, 2015 at 02:02 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A small camera to complement a full DSLR or mirrorless set up

No one mentioned the Panny LX100. With interchangeable lens cameras, things tend to get larger and larger with the longer focal length lenses. You did say "small" is a criteria, right? How about a built-in zoom of 400mm? Lots of nice features and takes great videos, according to those who own it.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:54 AM
slungu
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A small camera to complement a full DSLR or mirrorless set up

I wonder if anybody compared the GR with the RX100. I would expect the GR to be ahead in terms of IQ, but it of course would lack the flexibility of the RX100.

Mar 19, 2015 at 03:00 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A small camera to complement a full DSLR or mirrorless set up

dalite wrote:
No one mentioned the Panny LX100. With interchangeable lens cameras, things tend to get larger and larger with the longer focal length lenses. You did say "small" is a criteria, right? How about a built-in zoom of 400mm? Lots of nice features and takes great videos, according to those who own it.

I somewhat did. I really like Pannys fixed lens cameras.
Four years ago, they were one of the very few companies that offered a mega optical zoom. Had an FZ35 at the time, and that was one of the many reasons I had bought it. Besides, cant go wrong with Leica optics.

slungu wrote:
I wonder if anybody compared the GR with the RX100. I would expect the GR to be ahead in terms of IQ, but it of course would lack the flexibility of the RX100.

Lots of info if googled...
Google Ricoh GR vs Sony rx100 iii

Mar 19, 2015 at 01:06 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A small camera to complement a full DSLR or mirrorless set up

http://www.gearophile.com/newsviews/the-high-end-new-compact.html

Mar 19, 2015 at 02:57 PM
tr1957
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A small camera to complement a full DSLR or mirrorless set up

For really pocketable, I like my Canon S100. Nice zoom range, shoots raw, good quality given the small size. Haven't u sed the newer S110 or S120.

Mar 19, 2015 at 03:38 PM
Ghostinz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A small camera to complement a full DSLR or mirrorless set up

bvphotos wrote:
If you were looking for a travel complement to your DSLR or mirrorless set up, by definition, it would be small, with a zoom (preferable), and reasonably good IQ (under the circumstances). What would you choice be? I've got the following on my radar:

- Sony RX100 III: small, zoom, EVF, but not sure if i'll be satisfied with the IQ
- Panny LX100: EVF, a bit larger, but bigger zoom, bigger sensor
- Canon G7x: 1" sensor, no EVF, how is its IQ compared to the rx100?
- Fuji x100(s/t): EVF/OVF, great IQ, not terribly small, but lack of zoom may disqualify it
...Show more

although its not small, I took a liking to the Sony RX10 while I was looking for a camera for my daughter. I would have purchased it had the price been a tad better, but it does look and feel like a quality camera. I opted for a FZ1000 for her. She wanted an all in one that did video too.

Mar 21, 2015 at 01:20 PM
Aaron D
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A small camera to complement a full DSLR or mirrorless set up

I have a feeling that both the rx10, and fz1000, are bigger than the OP would prefer. Those are close to the same size as the SL1 I mentioned. I think hes wanting something "shirt pocketable".

Kind of surprised to see the max aperture on the FZ1000 is 2.8. The little Sony and Canon are both 1.8. Not sure of the Ricoh.

Mar 21, 2015 at 03:19 PM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A small camera to complement a full DSLR or mirrorless set up

Aaron D wrote:
I have a feeling that both the rx10, and fz1000, are bigger than the OP would prefer. Those are close to the same size as the SL1 I mentioned. I think hes wanting something "shirt pocketable".

Kind of surprised to see the max aperture on the FZ1000 is 2.8. The little Sony and Canon are both 1.8. Not sure of the Ricoh.

The GR is 2.8. I don't think they could put a faster APS-C size 18mm prime on the camera and still maintain the extremely small size. Fortunately it's very sharp and useable wide open.

Sal

Mar 23, 2015 at 09:20 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A small camera to complement a full DSLR or mirrorless set up

2.8 is still pretty good. That little Ricoh looks like a neat little camera.

Mar 23, 2015 at 03:15 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.