New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Time Lapse suggestions for Himalayas

nwadventurer7
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Time Lapse suggestions for Himalayas

I have never done time lapse, but desire to do a few shots at evening dusk to stars coming out. i have two cameras a d800e and d610, with four batteries each to last 40 days on trekking in remote spots. there will be a few tea houses to recharge camera batteries. but here is my question. i would like to do maybe a minute total of three different 20 second video...from either stills (lots of memory use?) versus using video mode.

i have two 64 bit cards, two 32 bit, and four 16 cards...any suggestions? the stills mode will give me more resolution and ability to work in raw, but am i going to suffer memory. should i buy more memory cards? be prepared to have to recharge a battery in cold temperatures at high altitude with one hour shooting to get 20 seconds of video for example? do i shoot one shot every 30 seconds ? for stars, or changes without getting a jumping video? any thoughts are welcome. i havent thoroughly researched this yet. i leave in one week. bill

Mar 16, 2015 at 02:15 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Time Lapse suggestions for Himalayas

Batteries and cards are really cheap, especially compared to what it has to cost to actually make your trek. Buy as many as you need to achieve your creative goals.

Yeah, night time lapse would be great. I'd just let it run as long as you can if you have a composition you like. You should know how to compose night shots beforehand. Given that they're almost always 10+ seconds... I'd just let it roll back to back.

With timelapse you want to capture movement. Weather, atmospherics or stars, basically.

During daylight obviously you want to have some time between your exposures as they won't be very long.

Mar 16, 2015 at 02:23 AM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Time Lapse suggestions for Himalayas

Here's a link to a time lapse calculator -

http://blog.xlvisuals.com/index.php?/pages/intervalcalculator.html

Mar 16, 2015 at 05:53 AM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Time Lapse suggestions for Himalayas

Also a good crash course on time lapse is available through an e-book by Gunther Wegner.
I recently purchased it and it was well worth the $11 I spent.

Time lapse can be tricky and eliminating the flicker is key to a good time lapse.

Mar 16, 2015 at 06:02 AM
d.wayne

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Time Lapse suggestions for Himalayas

I don't have anything to add on the time lapse, but I'd recommend a solar panel for trekking. You can attach this to your backpack while you are trekking during the day for charging. I will easily charge tablets and other batteries.

http://www.rei.com/product/827121/goal-zero-guide-10-plus-adventure-kit-solar-charger

Mar 16, 2015 at 02:59 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Time Lapse suggestions for Himalayas

And the best suggestion.... do it at home first. Go some place local and make sure you can do it. Don't wait until you get there to realize you don't really have a clue as to what you are doing and then you miss out not only on some timelapse, but perhaps miss out on a great sunrise or sunset photograph.

Jim

Mar 16, 2015 at 08:32 PM
nwadventurer7
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Time Lapse suggestions for Himalayas

thankyou everyone for your great suggestions. i plan on trying this first. just getting a feel..anyone have suggestions on frame rate, or shooting a raw stills that get composited together vs less memory in a video mode?

Mar 16, 2015 at 09:33 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Time Lapse suggestions for Himalayas

Look at the calculator I posted and it will help you chose your frame rate.
For example - 4 hour duration to yield 20 minute finished product on a D800 at 24fps =

Frame size
7348 x 4898
px
Time compression
x
Number of frames
images
Frame interval
seconds
Data size (RAW)
~ 1140480
Megabyte
Data size (JPG fine)
~ 217728
Megabyte
Data size (JPG normal)
~ 93312
Megabyte

Mar 17, 2015 at 03:52 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.